Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
gcfordesi can only hope to improve
Red face Is Bench period out of Status ?

Hi Gurus,

I was out of project for 2 months and my Employer did not run my pay roll for this 1 and half month .I got my EAD 1 month back have a Full time Offer and will Join this company on MY EAD .My worry is will this gap be any problem in future? is it out of status? . Should i Ask my employer for a pay check or at least a relieving letter ? Appreciate your advice .

Thanks in Advance.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2006
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/03/2007
Compare
mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute mbartosik has a reputation beyond repute
Default DEMAND payment from employer

This forum has some other instances of this discussed. Take a search through the old threads. It is plain illegal (by employer). Not only should you get paid but if there is any hassle, dept labor may even pursue him on your behalf.

Take a search for this issue on prior threads.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of
Default Agree

Agree with Mark's advice.

I would suggest getting something in writing. In other words, instead of asking verbally for pay, send your employer an email. Have him/her respond to you in writing that they won't pay you (for whatever reason). If I were you, I would collect evidence (emails, record phone calls) that you tried to get your pay and if it all fails, file a complaint with DOL. I think this would also safeguard you from future questions about that time. As per regulations, there is no such thing as "bench time without pay" for H-1B. Your employer is LEGALLY REQUIRED to pay you the salary mentioned in the labor certificate.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute

e-mail this link to your employer and collect your paycheck
http://bibdaily.com/pdfs/Pegasus%203-31-08.pdf

Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
Red face Worst case Scenario

Thanks all for replying. I did not resign or informed them yet . As you know with desi companies they never put it in written or verbal of paying on bench. I am just checking to see what are the possibilities and worst case scenario . i am not much worried about the money but for documentation wise just want to be safe . If there is a RFE in future for W2 or Pay stubs will this gap creates any problem ?

Thanks,

Old 04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute

If employer did not notify the USCIS about your termination a month ago (well, I can guarantee it did not), you have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
Red face Higher Billing rate

Employer was working to get another project but with higher billing rate so nothing worked from their side . So my guess is also that they did not inform USCIS . Now i got this full time offer i will be starting from next week so there is 6 week gap .

Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfordesi View Post
Thanks all for replying. I did not resign or informed them yet . As you know with desi companies they never put it in written or verbal of paying on bench. I am just checking to see what are the possibilities and worst case scenario . i am not much worried about the money but for documentation wise just want to be safe . If there is a RFE in future for W2 or Pay stubs will this gap creates any problem ?

Thanks,
Don't just think about 140 and 485. They might ask for your W2 and tax returns at the time of getting a citizenship. I have read some posts here and on other forums that it might create a problem. Please research that a little bit. I think your best bet is to get everything in line for your new job, get documentation about you being employed and working during the questionable 6 week period and file a complaint with DOL about wages. If they don't give you anything in writing, try to record a phone conversation. That will put you on the safe side and make your argument more credible that you were not out of status. I understand that money may not be a factor but showing your legal status is critical. The way I look at it, if you don't file a complaint, it becomes difficult for you to prove your legal status during those 6 weeks.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/14/2007
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
GoneSouth will become famous soon enough

There is a specfic section of 8 CFR (Sec 245 (i) ??) that says as long as you haven't been out of status for more than 180 days since last re-entry to US, you are still eligible to adjust status. See my post:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12223 (GoneSouth's view on out-of-status and I-485)

So being on the bench for two months, while techically a no-no, should not affect your AOS application.

- GS

Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
Red face E-mail conversations

I have all the email conversations till date i will send them a resignation letter tomorrow and ask for reliving letter and pay stubs . Depending on the their response will act accordingly .

Thanks all for replying to my queries.

Cheers

Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/18/2007
Compare
chris has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Is it Legal to record phone conversation without other party consent ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarslave View Post
try to record a phone conversation.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of
Default Good point

I'm not a legal professional but as far as I know you can't record a phone conversation without informing the other party. It is illegal again afaik.

Maverick_2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Is it Legal to record phone conversation without other party consent ?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
There is a specfic section of 8 CFR (Sec 245 (i) ??) that says as long as you haven't been out of status for more than 180 days since last re-entry to US, you are still eligible to adjust status. See my post:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12223 (GoneSouth's view on out-of-status and I-485)

So being on the bench for two months, while techically a no-no, should not affect your AOS application.

- GS
It is 245(k). It offers a lot protection to EB immigrants. To summarize, as long as you are being out of status or illegally employed for less than 180 days, it won't affect your AOS. And each time you leave the country and come back, that 180 days counter is reset.

An id named 'unitednations' mentioned this many times on both IV and immigrationportal.com. Sadly, still many people, without knowing this protection, tried to cover their out of status by fraud, which can be a solid ground of denying AOS at later time.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold jchan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post

- GS
btw: that is a great post, but one thing I don't agree. You said being out of status for more than 180 days won't trigger automatic 3 years bar, I think it will.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AllVNeedGcPc is just really nice AllVNeedGcPc is just really nice AllVNeedGcPc is just really nice AllVNeedGcPc is just really nice
Default My cousin had to go back and get new H1

My first cousin came here through desi company and was not paid for one and a half month. He found/joined a new job and applied for H1 transfer. His H1 got approved, but he got a notice to leave the country as he did not get paid for 1.5 months (H1's requirement) and was thus out of status. Went back to India with whole family, got new H1 stamped without any issues and came back after a week. I even have a copy of his notice to leave the country with me. Scary stuff, I never heard anyone else getting such a notice.

But this was H1, I do not know what are the rules for AoS.

All the Best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcfordesi View Post
Hi Gurus,

I was out of project for 2 months and my Employer did not run my pay roll for this 1 and half month .I got my EAD 1 month back have a Full time Offer and will Join this company on MY EAD .My worry is will this gap be any problem in future? is it out of status? . Should i Ask my employer for a pay check or at least a relieving letter ? Appreciate your advice .

Thanks in Advance.