Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advisory for AC 21 Change of Employment EB-485 Filers

Matthew Oh Attorney Reporting

08/19/2008: Advisory for AC 21 Change of Employment EB-485 Filers

AC 21 portability of approved I-140 after 180 days of I-485 filing growingly faces challenges at two different levels. Currently most of the ported EB-485 waiters have reserved their proactive report of porting since the Yates AC 21 Memorandum did not mandate proactive report of the change of employment. Until recently, these 485 applicants rarely received RFE before EB-485 was approved, and even when they received a RFE, the agency just requested to provide the evicence of continuous existence of proffered employment. When the original employer had withdrawn the approved I-140 petition, sometimes these applicants received a Notice of Intent to Deny I-485 application giving an opportunity for the I-485 applicants to submit the AC 21 portability evidence. Usually submission of basic threshold evidence in response to such RFE resulted in approval of the I-485 applications. However, lately we see increasing RFEs demanding a whole list of evidence in the event the applicant ported and changed employment. The request for evidence far exceeds their traditional practice. They even demand new updated G-325A, all the W-2s, paycheck copies, details of the new job including specific job title, description of duties, educational/experience requirement, wages, and much more. This is a sort of new challenge for the AC 21 ported EB-485 waiters who have reserved reporting of change of employment.

The second potential challenge involves potential revisitation of approvability of I-485 applications when they apply for naturalization application after five years in permanent residence. As part of the naturalization application, the agency requires the applicants to disclose the employment and addresses for the past five years immediately preceding filing of naturalization application. For EB-485 applicants, the adjudicator of the naturalization applications can notice the name of different employer at the time the applicant's I-485 was approved and may need to explore potential error in the approval of the I-485 applications. The issue of revocability of the approved I-485 applications include the question of whether the adjudicator would have approved I-485 applications, had the adjudicators learned that the alien was not working for the sponsoring employer. The adjudicators may explore this issue through the interviews at the local field offices.

Because of the changing environment, it may be prudent or even imperative for the EB-485 applicants who failed to report AC 21 change of employment to preserve the evidence of eligibility of AC 21 portability before AND after the green card approval not to face any serious consequences years after approval of the green card approvals. They should not destroy such evidence at least until after they file the naturalization applications.

Does that mean, we have to be more careful when moving from one job to another, when I-485 is pending?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think so.

We should probably give an ad. in major news paper too to keep the evidence.

OR we can consider switching jobs after becoming citizens, on the safer side.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

I changed jobs using AC21 and received a NOID when ex employer requested a revocation on my approved 140. The NOID asked for new employment details like salary, duties and prospects for future employment.

The above is standard, and different people may get different RFEs - So, my advice is for those who file AC21, keep all your paystubs, w2 etc.... it will be useful

Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

I am not there yet to get the GC...but seems to me, there is this 'headache' even after getting the GC. How nice it would be, just a thought, if all the GC filer and all the H1 holders and all the L1 holders, just resign and take off to their mother land. Just imagine the situation for one moment and see how it looks!!
maybe we all would get a red carpet treatment from US gov and USCIS
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote