Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of
Default Switching Job using EAD

Hi,

I am currently working on H1B for my green card sponsored company for 8yrs. My I-140 got approved 3yrs ago with 485 filed during July 2007. I have EAD and AP but have not used it yet.
My priority date is July 2004 filed in EB3.

Recently ,I applied for a job to a reputed company who is offering me a position on EAD.
I have been thinking to switch to the new company by using AC21.

Will there be any problems in the green card process in the future if i switch to EAD.

I just want to know the consequences and decide accordingly before i switch.
Have any one of you moved like this and got GC ? Will there be any issues ?

I don't have any hopes that i will get my green card for another 4-5 years.I don't want to waste my life with current company and want to make some progress in my life.
Please advise me on this situation.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute baleraosreedhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default DO not worry mate, enjoy your life and career

I have been doing the same for the past 3.5 years, changing jobs on EAD and working for myself.But be sure to request a Employment letter from new company stating your expertise and skills on the letter , this will be required if in case there is a query for request of proof of employment.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
malibuguy007 is a glorious beacon of light malibuguy007 is a glorious beacon of light malibuguy007 is a glorious beacon of light malibuguy007 is a glorious beacon of light malibuguy007 is a glorious beacon of light malibuguy007 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

I would say do what is right for your career as long as the job is similar. Do not let the GC process hold you hostage when you have the option of using AC21. I switched jobs in Jan this year. My date is current for August and I hope it will be all fine.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of cantonsale10@gmail.com has much to be proud of
Default Ead

Thanks for your replies.

I am little scared to take decision but currently i am using only H1B and my wife is studying using her H4 Visa. If i change to EAD can she continue with EAD ?

What is disadvantage of losing H1-B visa on going on EAD completely ?

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute

Just a follow-up question on this. I am going to use my EAD to move to a new job at a new company. My title changes to Manager, but the job will be in the similar field with additional responsibilities. Would this cause a problem when the green card approval time comes. My pd is Jul 2006 in EB3. thanks.

- Member of MI IV Chapter
- Contributing $25 monthly since 2007
- Several one-time contributions totalling over $1,500
- Participated in ALL Advocacy Efforts in Washington DC & San Jose since JUL 2007
- I am doing my part, have you done yours to advance our mutual cause?

* If you have the Faith of a Mustard Seed You can say to the Mountain 'Be Moved', and it WILL be Moved!!

** Faith without Action is Futile.

- The Bible

Old 07-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
ps3539 will become famous soon enough
Talking I just changed my job

I just changed my job...technology manager in a leading company. Earlier worked for a Desi consulting firm for 11 years. Although, job responsibilities are different than software engineer and there is risk of AOS rejection, I am glad that I have taken risk

We can always go back to India ...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry; I changed the job last year after spending 8 years with the company who filed my GC. If this move is good for your career; go for it.

Out of curiosity; why did your wife choose to study on H4? If she uses EAD; doesn't she qualify as a domestic student thereby saving money? I am asking the question as my wife is joining her school this fall on EAD and most likely; she will be considered as a domestic student (will kow for sure in next few days).

Good luck with your move!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantonsale10@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for your replies.

I am little scared to take decision but currently i am using only H1B and my wife is studying using her H4 Visa. If i change to EAD can she continue with EAD ?

What is disadvantage of losing H1-B visa on going on EAD completely ?

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute

that's a bold move. in that case my plan would be to convince my new employer to file a new GC petition under EB2, and then port the old PD. But I want to know if porting can be done when the title changes to manager. the good thing is that the new manager job would include some of the responsibilites of the old job.

has anyone got any advise on this? thanks.

- Member of MI IV Chapter
- Contributing $25 monthly since 2007
- Several one-time contributions totalling over $1,500
- Participated in ALL Advocacy Efforts in Washington DC & San Jose since JUL 2007
- I am doing my part, have you done yours to advance our mutual cause?

* If you have the Faith of a Mustard Seed You can say to the Mountain 'Be Moved', and it WILL be Moved!!

** Faith without Action is Futile.

- The Bible