Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

not sure what you meant but all your benefits CEASE on the day of your termination in the job..
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Thank you everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekilo View Post
Also I agree what Logiclife said when it comes to payments..

I went thru COBRA for the last 2 months I tell you its a PAIN IN THE A##.
Yeah premiums are very high. due to some gross miscommuniation on the provider they cancelled my COBRA for december since they didnt recieve payment.

ONce you quit our current job, you will get within 7-10 days details from ur current insurance cpmpany or a third party administrator which ur company uses. They will also send a payment coupon. (not a discount coupon..).

I hope your new company is paying the COBRA reimbursements for you...if not there is a loop hole in COBRA taht you can use and NOT pay the payments since you will have grace period. HOWEVER please keep in mind that the new insurance with your new company may have some restrictions on pre existing conditions...so keep an eye on that..since its for 30 days you will get on to a new insurance personally I wouldnt care for CBORA if the premiums are too high, why becuase, remember the coverage is RETROACTIVE, so you can get a claim reimbursed later after within the grace period

references for you

http://www.tnhis.com/excchangingjobs.htm

http://stressless.savingadvice.com/2...oophole_30504/
(good and clear one above)

hope this helps and good luck in ur new jobb...remember to hcange the ADDRESS woth you insurance company...
Thank you, logiclife and everyone for your inputs. This thread contains really useful information for anyone going through either job change or job loss circumstances.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

logiclife - thanks for such a detailed description. And welcome back after a long time

Your explanation was more "ANACONDA" than "COBRA"

Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute addsf345 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Hypothetical question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekilo View Post
not sure what you meant but all your benefits CEASE on the day of your termination in the job..
Pardon my ignorance Gurus.

But Hypothetical....what would be the scenario, if,

- I leave the job-A on 1st of the month.

- join new job-B on 2nd of the month (very next day) but new employer wants me to complete 30 days before providing medical insurance

- my job-A insurance company sends me COBRA option in two weeks time as required by law

- Prior to I fill and send out the COBRA docs (roughly 2 - 3 weeks), I have to make some urgent visit to doctor...say in 1st week (say, on 4th of the month)

- will my job-A company will deny this claim as they only received my COBRA paperwork by 18th of the month whereas I went to doctor on 4th????

Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re:

You should be ok. The purpose of COBRA is to have a continued coverage. usually insurance is month to month, so the coverage nessasarly doesn't end the day you quit. All COBRA does is allow you to pay the next months entire premium and keep the existing coverage.
I tried using COBRA last year and in my case the gap was 3 months and my monthly COBRA payments were about $900/month, since I did not have any ongoing medical conditions or foresee any like pregnancy etc, I went for short term private insurance to fill the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addsf345 View Post
Pardon my ignorance Gurus.

But Hypothetical....what would be the scenario, if,
- I leave the job-A on 1st of the month.
- join new job-B on 2nd of the month (very next day) but new employer wants me to complete 30 days before providing medical insurance

- my job-A insurance company sends me COBRA option in two weeks time as required by law

- Prior to I fill and send out the COBRA docs (roughly 2 - 3 weeks), I have to make some urgent visit to doctor...say in 1st week (say, on 4th of the month)

- will my job-A company will deny this claim as they only received my COBRA paperwork by 18th of the month whereas I went to doctor on 4th????