Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare
Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncow View Post
YOu stole my profile picture, stop doing that, or you WILL fail.
Here you go. it's all your's now.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare
Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by langagadu View Post
what state are you living??
ga.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, GA doesn't have any restrictions (in addition to Federal restrictions already in place) preventing non-citizens from buying firearms. But you can check with the State police. Go to the State police website, get the general information contact phone number, or if there is one for firearms, call that one. State that you are a legal immigrant living in the US, and ask if GA has any laws preventing you from buying a firearm.

When you have your answer for GA, read the ATF pamphlet that A. Patel has attached in this thread, and once you have met all the requirements listed there, take that to your local gun dealer, show it to them (they usually aren't very familiar with non-citizen, especially non resident alien, firearm laws), and make your purchase.

If you aren't familiar with firearms, find a local public range that rents weapons, there should be tons of those in Georgia, go there, try out a few, get comfortable, read up on firearm safety, do some research online on what could suit your needs, and then get one.

Good luck.

Oh, and when you do get a gun, do your part in ensuring that your children and their children continue to enjoy this freedom, by joining the NRA.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnq1979 View Post
Bumb ^^^^
mnq1979 you have posted your question is the wrong thread and you might not get any response here since this thread is about gun ownership; ppl who are not interested in the gun ownership topic will not visit this thread.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts mnq1979 is infamous around these parts

Thanks, i managed to open a new thread !!!!
PD: Dec. 2005
Category: EB3 ROW
--------------------------------------------------

Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
atul555 is infamous around these parts atul555 is infamous around these parts atul555 is infamous around these parts atul555 is infamous around these parts
Default I joined Kung-fu classes instead...

for self protection.. I can Jackie Chan anyone's ass if they mess with me..
Yet if unemployment reaches 20-25%, I will need a glock.. or if the NWO opens up the fema camps

Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute another one has a reputation beyond repute
Default ha ha

Maybe we should tell NRA that lot of skilled immigrants will buy guns once they have GCs. That could be the fastest way for us to get some lobbying money. It could work faster then the message on "buying houses".

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
I have lived in Nevada before. I think in that state and many other western states (where guns laws are more liberal) you have to have passport, I-94 and utility bills proving you have lived in NV for 6 months. That's it. You don't need hunting license to get a gun license.

Here is the biggest irony:

IN order to own a gun, FBI needs only 2 days to check your background.

IN order to get 485 approved, FBI takes months or years to do a background check.

I guess green-card is a more lethal weapon than a handgun.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of

Actually very true. I for one have held off on buying a gun (though my wife highly disapproves of guns) simply because I dont have a GC and dont want any hassles. Besides I live in Chicago which has a ban on guns. Ironic that the maximum killings and drive by shootings happen maybe 30-40 blocks from where I live but the city doesnt allow legal law-abiding residents to own guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another one View Post
Maybe we should tell NRA that lot of skilled immigrants will buy guns once they have GCs. That could be the fastest way for us to get some lobbying money. It could work faster then the message on "buying houses".

Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyghoda View Post
Actually very true. I for one have held off on buying a gun (though my wife highly disapproves of guns) simply because I dont have a GC and dont want any hassles. Besides I live in Chicago which has a ban on guns. Ironic that the maximum killings and drive by shootings happen maybe 30-40 blocks from where I live but the city doesnt allow legal law-abiding residents to own guns.
It isn't an outright ban. Chicago doesn't allow concealed carry, and requires guns to be registered, but you can own guns. Yes, the process for legally owning a gun in Chicago I understand is very tedious (sad, I know), but not impossible. Much like NYC.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default thanks for the post

Thanks for your informed comments. Like you, I am also surprised to find many people in this forum, who are interested in fire arms.

I don't own a fire arm and not planning to while the immigration status is not yet Citizenship. I don't want the authorities to give another reason to look into my case. I just go for fishing once in a while.

But our family owns two guns in India and have worked with guns from childhood.

Another point is I am very much impressed with how the Americans manage wild life and the nature in general. They enjoy it while preserving it. India does neither. We just destroy it, and write eloquent speeches on nature protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp817 View Post
Federal law does allow H-1Bs to purchase firearms if they have lived in the US (Same residence, if you move, the clock is reset) continuously (if you leave the country, the clock is again reset) for 90 days and fall under one of the 4 exceptions listed below.

- Possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license issued by any state in the US

- Are a Law enforcement officer from a foreign nation, here on official duty

- in the US to participate in a shooting sports competition

- get a waiver from the Attorney General

The easiest of these 4 exceptions is the Hunting license exception.

Once you meet the above mentioned criteria, you are okay, per federal law to possess a firearm. Doesn't matter what non-immigrant visa you are on (H-1B, F-1, AOS).

Next step is to check whether your state has additional restrictions. I don't think any states completely bars non-citizens from possessing firearms (atleast none of the states that I have lived in do), although some states have restrictions on the type of firearms non citizens can buy. e.g. in MA, non-citizens (including GC holders) can't buy handguns or high powered semi auto rifles (ARs, AKs) but they can buy non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.

As someone pointed out, trying out guns at a public range which has rentals is a great way to introduce oneself to the sport, learn basic firearm operation and safety, and to try a wide variety of guns and calibers.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default good point

When law abiding persons are prevented from gun ownership; crime goes up. Because whether it is legal or not, criminals always have guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyghoda View Post

Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post
Thanks for your informed comments. Like you, I am also surprised to find many people in this forum, who are interested in fire arms.

I don't own a fire arm and not planning to while the immigration status is not yet Citizenship. I don't want the authorities to give another reason to look into my case. I just go for fishing once in a while.

But our family owns two guns in India and have worked with guns from childhood.

Another point is I am very much impressed with how the Americans manage wild life and the nature in general. They enjoy it while preserving it. India does neither. We just destroy it, and write eloquent speeches on nature protection.
Thank you, always glad to help. Many years ago, I was looking for answers to these questions and had to do my own research, internet forums weren't as big then.

I am a hunter as well, and when I went through hunter education, I was amazed to learn how serious the west was about wildlife and nature conservation. Hunting is a very important part of nature conservation. Every country that legalizes hunting, does so in a controlled manner in order to prevent a biological surplus in a species' habitat.

I don't fish that often, except for the odd deep sea fishing trip when the weather is nice, but anything that can get one outdoors breathing fresh air wins my vote.

godspeed,