Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing AC21 Portability after 180 days of 485 filing. Changing employers without affecting green card process.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice
Default Pay cut

Hello everyone - My company has announced a 10% across the board paycut. I am sulking over it as there is no job guarantee. I am in a big consulting org. There are no new projects coming and my project is there till end of April. I have I140 approved but I am afraid that my employer may seek to revoke it , if I leave on my own.

Gurus - Do you think it is wise to use AC21 in this situation. It will take years for me to get back to (2-3) my original salary level and if I accept the paycut and lay off happens, the future employer may seek further paycut or same salary.

My wife has already lost job and hence I am paranoid that I have taken almost 50% paycut if we consider 2 incomes. I dont think economy is THAT bad.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Stick on...

Unseenguy,
IMHO, it is always good to stick on what you have with until you find a suitable project and person to change your job to.
It is not good to take hasty decisions at this time. Meanwhile try to spread your resume around the see the responses you get. Keep the faith.

Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future

What you think about state of economy does not matter. You have few options at this moment. First of all update your profile. If you have EAD then yes you can do an AC21 but that means there is some company out there which has a job & salary that matches your labor profile. So if you can find one then the option is always open to make the switch.
Called CHC and other law makers
Contacted Local Congressman for support to Immigration bills.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice

Right. I am not going to resign in haste. But I am confident I can find my current salary in 2-3 months. Question is , should I go for it or accept the paycut and stick it out as long as I can?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of
Default Why people ask dumb questions

Why people ask dumb questions. For me most of these questions are dumb and answers are obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseenguy View Post
Right. I am not going to resign in haste. But I am confident I can find my current salary in 2-3 months. Question is , should I go for it or accept the paycut and stick it out as long as I can?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_2006 View Post
Why people ask dumb questions. For me most of these questions are dumb and answers are obvious.
shut up idiot. Do you know how many 485s have been rejected for using AC21? Some people have advised me to stay where I am as long as it takes, but my gut tells me to find another job. So I am just asking for risk and opinions.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of
Default Idiot????

Quote:
shut up idiot. Do you know how many 485s have been rejected for using AC21? Some people have advised me to stay where I am as long as it takes, but my gut tells me to find another job. So I am just asking for risk and opinions.
Nice way to talk on forum , my fellow.. btw., I wanna know "how many 485s have been rejected for using AC21?".. really.. an exact number would be very helpful for people like me who are in same situation as you.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Easy on the guy pal! I am sure he would not have come here to seek help if the answers were so obvious to him.

unseenguy, A lot of companies all across the country are resorting to pay cuts and there is no guarantee that the job will remain either. Mine announced 5% cuts and cut other benefits that had made working in this company attractive.

I am sorry to hear about the job loss already in your household. Here is my suggestion....Do keep a lookout for better opportunities but try to get your wife a job before you change yours. Invoking AC21 is a option but use it only if you find a better opportunity or at least better stability. I know it is a cliche but hang in there and know that there are a lot of families all across this country who are in similar or worse situations. All the best and please fill in your details like PD and GC processing stage.

Northern California State Chapter

Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute

I am just curious, Are you worried about your salary going down or filing AC-21.
There are always risks involved. Its your choice what you want to do. I will request you to understand how the system works, so that when folks around here suggest you something, you can evaluate the choices based on your knowledge also.

If you think you can find a good job, then i will say keep on looking for it. Meanwhile stick with your company and see if things improve. In the end its your personal choice, as you are the one who needs to set your priorities. Also, if you can let us know your PD, then i am sure people can suggest you in a much better way.

Also, i will really appreciate if you can update your information for the tracker.

Also, please be patient and lets not use abusive language, as it is not going to help anyone.

Thanks a lot.

GO IV GO. TOGETHER WE CAN.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of n_2006 has much to be proud of
Default I will shutup

No problem. I am an idiot to replay this post.

Quote:

Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCAmigo is just really nice GCAmigo is just really nice GCAmigo is just really nice GCAmigo is just really nice

Quote:
I dont think economy is THAT bad.
It is in fact going through the worst ever phase!

~GCA

Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/14/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/16/2006
Compare
champu has a spectacular aura about champu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My dear friend, people are nervous. I am too. Bad news are coming from all corners.

USCIS raids; Property & Stock Losses; Jobs disappearing. If you are in the middle of this then you would know. Sitting pretty in a recession proof role or job and commenting on others is easy.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute copsmart has a reputation beyond repute

People can only give mere advise, but you are the one who is going to take the final decision that is right for you.
The person who can answer some of your questions is nobody, but you.

IMO, the market is not as good as you think, and itís going through the worst recession ever.
If not at your current job, you may have to take a pay cut at your future job, because thatís the current economic reality.

Since you have askedÖ I would suggest you to stay where you are and float your resume in the market and see the kind of response you get. I hope you will have a better idea then.

Good luck!

Quote:

Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
getrdone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I used AC21, been Ok !!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of
Default My $0.02

Its really bad out there.... take it from someone who was just laid off. It took me around 2 months to get a new job and that too at a lower salary and in a neighboring city where I am now faced with a 2 hour commute each way. So no, its definitely not as rosy as you think.

That being said, if you are good at what you do you will find a job. It may take a while but if you are truly good then you will be ok. I completely understand the need to maintain salary levels to ensure career progression. That was the main reason I left my original GC sponsoring employer who while being great with everything else, just wasnt a good enough paymaster and that led folks to believe I wasnt really that good when I would mention the work I was doing. In hindsight, I wouldnt have had to scramble like this if I had stuck it out at my old place. But c'est la vie.

As some folks mentioned, try and get a feel of the market. Attend as many face to face interviews as you can and refine yourself as you go along. And dont accept anything in haste. A good thing is that a lot of recruiters told me that when the market gets better all the folks who were forced to take paycuts will easily be able to justify the lower salaries they were forced into accepting at that time. So, even if you do have to take a paycut, it wont hurt you for long as long as you change jobs when the market gets better.

Good luck!