Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Medical exams and related issues
Click to log in with Facebook
Medical exams and related issues All issues related to medical exams for 485 filing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of franklin has much to be proud of

Quite often, PCP will be more than happy to give tetanus shot if asked (I did that). Other's may be more difficult since they may not be in stock. I just said "hey, I think I'm due for a tetanus booster" and they marked my card and did it

Personally, I would avoid getting shots done at the civil surgeons - they are universally more expensive. Try your PCP first, and then try local Public Health Departments / or non profits. A lot of public health departments will have Adult Immunization Clinics (for vacation travel etc) and the cost of shots will be significantly cheaper than USCIS docs.

Of course, doing all of this takes more time. Do you want it done fast and expensive, or cheap and slow?

Got Green but still working at IV
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin
Quite often, PCP will be more than happy to give tetanus shot if asked (I did that). Other's may be more difficult since they may not be in stock. I just said "hey, I think I'm due for a tetanus booster" and they marked my card and did it

Personally, I would avoid getting shots done at the civil surgeons - they are universally more expensive. Try your PCP first, and then try local Public Health Departments / or non profits. A lot of public health departments will have Adult Immunization Clinics (for vacation travel etc) and the cost of shots will be significantly cheaper than USCIS docs.

Of course, doing all of this takes more time. Do you want it done fast and expensive, or cheap and slow?
Sometimes the company pays most of the costs too. Here's what's listed in my company website:

XXXXXX will pay for specific routine and necessary costs that are pre-approved and associated with obtaining permanent residency for its employees and his/her spouse and dependents. Routine and necessary costs include:

Filing Fees
Attorney Fees
Attorney Incidental Costs
Required Medical Exams
Required Fingerprints
Photographs

Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/21/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
cdeneo can only hope to improve
Default What shots we need to take if we don't have any records?

I have been told two shots are needed besides the regular blood work and
the skin test (and maybe X-ray).

MMR - Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccine
DPT - Diptheria, Pertussis, Tetanus vaccine

Are there others that are needed?
Also is the Tetanus/Diptheria booster is enough should we take the DPT?

I would appreciate if someone could get back to me on this soon. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have CIGNA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kams
Cigna covers the cost of Xray. Not sure about shots though. Will call and update you guys.
Hey that's good to know. I have Cigna too. I hope I dont need the X-ray. About the shots, the doctor I have appt with said that we can send you to county hospital where you can get these shots for free.

The doctor is also not expensive. Its $100 per person. Anyone in Reno, NV or around, you can call this doctor :
Michael Glick Or James Jempsa. 775-853-9959.

I shopped around and they were ranging from 270 per person to 250 and this one was $100.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2008
Compare
quizzer is infamous around these parts quizzer is infamous around these parts

Anybody knows whether Aetna will cover the medical test and/or immunization shots?

Any good/cheap doctors in Orange county, CA?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts royus77 is infamous around these parts

Mine is Cigna HMO Open Access ..Called the customer service ..They told me that some of the shots will be covered if advised by PP. Will not cover for employment purpose ( not sure what that mean ).However All children under age 18 are covered

Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Deepika is just really nice Deepika is just really nice Deepika is just really nice Deepika is just really nice

After lot of research we were shocked to know everyone were charging between 250$ to 450$ .most of them were rude also. I found out one of the USCIS doctor was ready to accept all the tests and shots report from other doctors. We went to kaiser this morning and got our shots, skin test , and gave our blood sample for test. It was covered and we dint have to pay even a single $. However the USCIS doc will be charging $120 per person for physical examination and paper work.

Take advantage of this if you can, Hope this helps. We are in Sanjose.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of masterji has much to be proud of

Anybody knows any physicians near Denver area who will do medical exam at a reasonable rate?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Compare
GC_2008 is on a distinguished road

Few pointers to folks that need medical exam:

Only the medical exam itself will NOT be covered by your insurance company. If you are not sure whether or not you have immunizations in the past ('cause you don't have a record or your mom does not remember if you had chicken pox or not), the Civil Surgeon doctor/staff will offer you two choices. 1) Do a lab test or 2) Get vaccinated. Both 1) and 2) will be covered by most of the insurance plan out there. The Civil Surgeon/the doctor will tell you they can do both for you. However, here comes the tricky part some doctors (at least the one I used) did not want to deal with the insurance company about the lab test fee and the vaccines and requested that I paid them in full. This is purely a scam as the doctor wants to collect the full amount of money from the client to avoid having to deal with your insurance co. since your insurance co. will negotiate the fees at a discount. That's why some doctors refused to take your insurance and will fool you with some lame execuse like this is part of the exam or they will say they don't deal with insurance on the lab fees and vaccines charges. This is BS.

So my advice to the folks that have not been to the Civil Surgeon. ASK them first about the lab fees and the vaccines, whether or not they are willing to report it to your insurance company. If they do, then no problem. If they don't, go somewhere else or JUST get the medical exam done. Then go to some walk in clinic to receive the shots you need. For example, Patients First walk-in clinic, they always have vaccines available and they are happy to deal with your insurance.

Just my 2 cents on this topic. It can save you several hundreds.

Good luck to all.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of boston_gc has much to be proud of
Default Any Cheap Doc in Boston Area?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap and best doctor in the Boston area. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
factoryman is on a distinguished road
Default PM me. I did Medicals with this nice old gentleman

Appointments are immediate. I suggested this to 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterji
Anybody knows any physicians near Denver area who will do medical exam at a reasonable rate?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
factoryman is on a distinguished road
Default I went to KP.

For vaccinations no questions asked. They kniw, is this for INS. Yes. They will give two original signed copies of vaccines given. One for you. One for INS Doc.

My kind INS doctor gave all copies of documents enclosed in the sealed cover. God bless him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royus77
Mine is Cigna HMO Open Access ..Called the customer service ..They told me that some of the shots will be covered if advised by PP. Will not cover for employment purpose ( not sure what that mean ).However All children under age 18 are covered

Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light

i got mine done today. the civil surgeon's office was a fish market. they said that their phones were ringing off the hook. other civil surgeons i called didnt have appointments till 2 weeks later.

Guys right now we are in the same situation like the ppl in the amazing race. With inefficient lawyers and ill informed HR ppl and with clueless USCIS...we are as it is fighting a losing battle.. but we have to prevail. like in the amazing race dont worry about last min flights..just get this done and submitted.

i got a physical exam, tb skin test, chicken pox vaccine and tetanus shot. my wife got the same other than chickenpox vaccine since she had documentation of when she had it. we also went ahead and got our xrays done since there is 90% chance our skin test will come +ve..and we dont waste more time. we paid total for both including xray ($35 each) $540.

$270 per person approx.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default Remote pregnancy

Even if there is a chance(0.001%) tjhat your sposue is pregnant(or can confirm in about a weeks or two time...) ...dont take the shots....Severe consequnce would result....in a hurry to apply 485 dont mess up...

Old 05-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-10
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2015
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
babapranab is on a distinguished road
Smile Kaiser/ Form I-693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepika View Post
After lot of research we were shocked to know everyone were charging between 250$ to 450$ .most of them were rude also. I found out one of the USCIS doctor was ready to accept all the tests and shots report from other doctors. We went to kaiser this morning and got our shots, skin test , and gave our blood sample for test. It was covered and we dint have to pay even a single $. However the USCIS doc will be charging $120 per person for physical examination and paper work.

Take advantage of this if you can, Hope this helps. We are in Sanjose.

Glad to hear that you were able to get the report from Kaiser. Does Kaiser representatives know about this Form I-693 and the required tests and shots ?
Do you suggest that we take a Dr appointment instead and talk to doctor about it and just get the shots and test done ?, then find a USCIS approved doctor who accepts the reports from other doctors ? Please advise.