Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Fingerprinting during 485 stage (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum75-fingerprinting-during-485-stage/)
-   -   Is biometrics mandatory for EAD? (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum75-fingerprinting-during-485-stage/15419-is-biometrics-mandatory-for-ead.html)

howzatt 11-14-2007 03:17 PM

Is biometrics mandatory for EAD?

My wife's EAD has not yet been approved. It has been 92 days since the receive date. We had an infopass appointment today. I did not apply for EAD.

The officer we met with mentioned that the EAD is issued only after the biometrics are done. I highly doubt this is the norm. Our FP is scheduled for Nov 21st. he said that the service center will electronically send the photo/fp to nebraska. Only then can I expect to see any movement on the EAD application.

I have heard that your FP/biometrics does not have anything to with EAD. However, this officer gave us information that is totally contrary to what we have seen in recent times. He mentioned that this is the latest procedure. He suggested that we should schedule another infopass appointment only If we do not get the EAD 3-4 weeks after the biometrics.

Any inputs from people with similar experience?

sathyaraj 11-14-2007 03:19 PM

No

The EAD process has changed. You do not need FP for EAD approval.

Ram_C 11-14-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howzatt (Post 195061)
My wife's EAD has not yet been approved. It has been 92 days since the receive date. We had an infopass appointment today. I did not apply for EAD.

The officer we met with mentioned that the EAD is issued only after the biometrics are done. I highly doubt this is the norm. Our FP is scheduled for Nov 21st. he said that the service center will electronically send the photo/fp to nebraska. Only then can I expect to see any movement on the EAD application.

I have heard that your FP/biometrics does not have anything to with EAD. However, this officer gave us information that is totally contrary to what we have seen in recent times. He mentioned that this is the latest procedure. He suggested that we should schedule another infopass appointment only If we do not get the EAD 3-4 weeks after the biometrics.

Yes you are true, FP doesn't have anything to do with EAD approval.
However if you apply EAD online, then you will get FP notice as a part of the process.

good luck :)

sunny1000 11-14-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Biometrics is not needed for EAD. I received mine with "NO fingerprint available" marked on the card. Please call them back or get another infopass and this time, you might be lucky to talk to somone who knows what they are saying. Or just may be, they changed the rule on the fly a few days ago regarding biometrics and EAD.

howzatt 11-14-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram_C (Post 195066)
Yes you are true, FP doesn't have anything to do with EAD approval.
However if you apply EAD online, then you will get FP notice as a part of the process.

good luck :)

We did not apply online. It is a paper-based application that reached USCIS on AUg 14th.

neoklaus 11-14-2007 04:19 PM

As per my family experience: for my husband and daughter they issued EADs without
FP 3 weeks befor FP app-t, but mine EAD was ordered, as I've been informed by e-mail,
in a 4 days after FP was done.

So, even if Biometricals are not mandatory for EAD, but EAD Card has place for FP on it,
in some cases they(USCIS) may pretend that there are a requirements( depends from officer)

howzatt 11-14-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoklaus (Post 195103)
As per my family experience: for my husband and daughter they issued EADs without
FP 3 weeks befor FP app-t, but mine EAD was ordered, as I've been informed by e-mail,
in a 4 days after FP was done.

So, even if Biometricals are not mandatory for EAD, but EAD Card has place for FP on it,
in some cases they(USCIS) may pretend that there are a requirements( depends from officer)

Does it have anything to do with how recently you travelled out of the country? or How recently you came into this country? My wife came to US only 6 months back and I am not sure if this has got to do anything with the whole biometrics thing?

It is probably just this IO who has a different intepretation of the rules.

vnsriv 11-14-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

NO

neoklaus 11-14-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howzatt (Post 195107)
Does it have anything to do with how recently you travelled out of the country? or How recently you came into this country? My wife came to US only 6 months back and I am not sure if this has got to do anything with the whole biometrics thing?

It is probably just this IO who has a different intepretation of the rules.

I came to US in June,07, my husband & daughter -Aug.14,07...probably just interpretation matters

shutterbabe 11-18-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny1000 (Post 195069)
Biometrics is not needed for EAD. I received mine with "NO fingerprint available" marked on the card. Please call them back or get another infopass and this time, you might be lucky to talk to somone who knows what they are saying. Or just may be, they changed the rule on the fly a few days ago regarding biometrics and EAD.

Hi, I didn't receive my EAD after the 90 days and my lawyer caller the customer service center and they told her that it hasn't been issued because I haven't gotten FPed for it even though I have gotten my FP done for the 485. Is this right? I have never heard of a separate FP needed for an EAD. I am really confused and despite several attempts to make an infopass appointment with the local office I keep getting "no appointments available" notice. My another question is can I get an appointment in an office that doesn't service the region? I live in Southern CT and New Rochelle, NY is the service center that I got my biometrics done and since I didn't get a date putting my own zip code in - I put New Rochelle's zip in it and it gave me openings in New York City. So, can I go see an officer in New York City even though that is not my local office?

Please help, I need to get my EAD soon since my job is waiting for it.:confused:

wandmaker 11-18-2007 12:37 PM

Take infopass ASAP

shutterbabe: Prior to July fiasco, EAD is issued after regular FP; but I have not heard of separate FP to process EAD for Paperfiling cases. If you (have) efile(d) your AP, you will get a separate notice to FP for EAD without that your EAD will not be issued. I would advise you to take an inforpass appointment and discuss with I/O. At the worst case, you have them open a SR and take it from there.

Dhundhun 11-18-2007 02:52 PM

EADs without FP will be re-issued after FP

Quote:

I have heard that your FP/biometrics does not have anything to with EAD.

USCIS has its own guideline of issuing EAD within 90 days. Since there was heavy work load after July, they issued without FP. For the EADs issued without FP, they are re-issuing EAD with FP.:)

anilsal 11-18-2007 06:30 PM

How do you know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhundhun (Post 196758)
USCIS has its own guideline of issuing EAD within 90 days. Since there was heavy work load after July, they issued without FP. For the EADs issued without FP, they are re-issuing EAD with FP.:)

Why would USCIS do duplicate work?

waitin_toolong 11-18-2007 06:47 PM

the new FP EAD will be the one that you file for renewal, they will not automatically issue a new one.
They stand to gain $340 from it.

For the person worried about his EAD dont go by what the customer rep said, they are forever giving out incorrect information, majority of EADs issued in the last 3 months have been without biometrics.

Wait for 10 days or get infopass appointment.

shutterbabe 11-19-2007 11:41 AM

Thanx everyone for the helpful advice. I will schedule an infopass appointment. Can can I see an I/O at a location that doesn't service my area?