Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2007
Compare
cnathani can only hope to improve
Default Vacation to Mexico before 485

I have a vacation planned to Cancun, Mexico on the 29th of July. And my question is whether to file the applicaion before or after the vacation. My lawyer tells me that I probably wont get a new I-94 when visiting Mexico. Is this true? And also, that I can travel immediately after filing 485. So, she says it doesnt matter if I do it before or after the vacation. Any similar experiences especially with Mexico?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Sweden
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold swede is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnathani
I have a vacation planned to Cancun, Mexico on the 29th of July. And my question is whether to file the applicaion before or after the vacation. My lawyer tells me that I probably wont get a new I-94 when visiting Mexico. Is this true? And also, that I can travel immediately after filing 485. So, she says it doesnt matter if I do it before or after the vacation. Any similar experiences especially with Mexico?

Thanks
You need at least a 485 receipt and a valid visa before you can travel. My last travel to Mexico was 8 years and then they didnt take the I94 and when I came back they just asked what I had been doing in Mexico... But that might have changed.

EB3 World RIR PD: 12/2002 Applied: Aug 2002
Card Received: 9/17/2007

Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
delhirocks will become famous soon enough

I recently (Apr-07) went on a cruise to Mexico, on my way back, i got a new I94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnathani

Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
texcan is a name known to all texcan is a name known to all texcan is a name known to all texcan is a name known to all texcan is a name known to all texcan is a name known to all
Default I-94 will not change for travel to canada or mexico

HI there,

I-94 will not change if you travel to Mexico or canada ( and donot travel to other countries
from mexico or canda).
Infact one does not even need a valid visa to travel to these countries, just approval letters will
work.

I am on h1 and had expired visa stamp, but a valid approval letter,
I travelled to canada and came back, US immigration only checked my status ( since i had no current visa), they did not make any change to i-94.

HTH

Last edited by texcan; 07-23-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/2007
Compare
GT7481 is on a distinguished road
Smile Yep I 94 will not change

Yep I 94 will not change if you travle to any NAFTA country (Canada/Mexico) provided you stay less than 30 days and donot enter any other country on the way.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/08/2007
Compare
seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcan
HI there,

I-94 will not change if you travel to Mexico or canada ( and donot travel to other countries
from mexico or canda).
Infact one does not even need a valid visa to travel to these countries, just approval letters will
work.

I travelled to canada and came back, US immigration only checked my status ( since i had no current visa), they did not make any change to i-94.

HTH

within 30 days is they key!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
eager_immi is on a distinguished road

Which country are you from? All Indians citizens need visa to enter Canada (I thin mexico as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcan
HI there,

from mexico or canda).
work.

HTH