Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of
Default Recent travel experiences on AP

I'm planning on traveling to Delhi end of next month. Have been on EAD since Nov 2007, so will be using AP. This is my first time using AP, so I don't know what to expect at all. Will be travelling from JFK most likely or EWR (prob not).

Please share your experiences? I'm used to traveling on H1b and for me that was always good experience.
1) What documents should I keep with me when traveling?
2) What type of questions to expect at POE?
3) how long is the process at POE? What line do you stand in?

Please provide your recent experiences since we all hear about not great experiences lately....so wondering what it's like.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute

Both AP copies are a must and I-485 receipt notice (not required, but good to keep). During secondary inspection, the IO will stamp both APs and will give 1 back for future travel until its validity. If you only have 1 AP, you should let him/her know so they will make a copy of it and give the original back to you.

They asked me who I work for. I no longer work for my original GC sponsoring employer and told them my current employer details when they asked me that question. My new employer did file AC21 when I switched jobs. IO also asked what countries I visited during my travel , duration and purpose of my travel. I told them I only visited my home country to see my family.

You should go the visitors/visa holders line. After initial questioning (from #2), you will be asked to step aside and wait while another officer will take you to the secondary inspection. How long it takes depends on how many people are waiting in the secondary inspection. For me the wait was around 15-20 mins. I have read for some it was only 5 mins.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts
Default my SFO - Del Exp on AP

[quote=ps57002;1921930]I'm planning on traveling to Delhi end of next month. Have been on EAD since Nov 2007, so will be using AP. This is my first time using AP, so I don't know what to expect at all. Will be travelling from JFK most likely or EWR (prob not).

Please share your experiences? I'm used to traveling on H1b and for me that was always good experience.

Yup very important to keep both the copies of AP and good to have 485 approval notice. I recently travelled on AP and since I was on EAD i kept the EAD card as well. Another thing that I always carry is copy of last 2 salary slip (not required but just in case)

I just travelled from SFO to Delhi via Dubai and honestly nothing major (purpose of visit etc) was asked from me. The IO looked at my AP papers, got my picture and finger prints and then asked me to go to secondary inspection.
Secondary inspection guy took the papers asked me to take a seat ran some checks on his computer, stamped my AP and told me I am all set to go.

I was lucky and all (including the secondary inspection) was done in less than 15 minutes.
However much will depend upon the number of people ahead of you in the queue, specially in secondary inspection. At times they take 15-30 minutes to deal with single case in secondary inspection and if many people are ahead of you then your wait time will increase :-(

Please provide your recent experiences since we all hear about not great experiences lately....so wondering what it's like.

----------------
I traveled back in first week of Apr from Delhi to SFO via Dubai. I am on EAD with an expired H1 visa in passport.
I didn't went for renewal instead moved on EAD.

Delhi Airport Immigration was smooth - the IO's at DEL airport are aware of AP and will give u smooth clearance.
Same was the case with DUBAI and airlines (Emirates). They were aware of AP.

Port of entry (SFO) experience was also smooth. I had mentioned it above.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/23/2007
Compare
matrixneo is a splendid one to behold matrixneo is a splendid one to behold matrixneo is a splendid one to behold matrixneo is a splendid one to behold matrixneo is a splendid one to behold matrixneo is a splendid one to behold matrixneo is a splendid one to behold
Default on AP from SFO

I used AP 2 times in SFO, so far no issues. Officers were very nice.

Both times I was asked about my employer.
I was asked only AP docs(Good to keep others also)
first time I spent less than 20 mins, second time I had to wait 45-50 mins(approx), depends on how many people are in queue

Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough CRAZYMONK is a jewel in the rough

Last week I entered US with AP. My POE was JFK. After standing in the Visitors Visa line, I handed over only one AP and passport. So IO took my fingerfrints and a potograph then he kept the docuements in the red cover and asked to go to some other counter. Looks like this is a standard procedure for all the who are using AP. In the second counter, the other IO, ran some checks and asked me where I am working now. That is it, he stamped the AP and gave me back. The whole process took around 10 -15 min. Of course it depends on the number of people in the queue.

I was bit nervous when the IO kept my documents in a red cover. But very thing went well.

Also don't forget to fill out the I-94 form.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by CRAZYMONK; 05-24-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute

Any recent experiences of traveling on AP after a lay-off?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute Madhuri has a reputation beyond repute

Bump

Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
uimv is infamous around these parts uimv is infamous around these parts uimv is infamous around these parts uimv is infamous around these parts uimv is infamous around these parts uimv is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Both AP copies are a must ... During secondary inspection, the IO will stamp both APs and will give 1 back for future travel until its validity.
I was told my laywer "to hand over ONLY ONE copy at POE. If AP stamped, it can NOT be used again."

Last edited by uimv; 05-26-2010 at 07:05 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
hinvin66 will become famous soon enough
Default Stamped AP can be used many times

I've been using AP for travel for the past 3.5 years (since Aug 2007).

Mostly this has been for business travel to China/Japan/India/HK (about 4 to 6 times a year), totalling about 14 or 16 times.

In one particularly busy travel year, my AP was stamped on both sides (8 stamps!).

There is no rule that says that AP cannot be used more than once unless otherwise noted on the AP. Read the text in the AP - if it says "This authorization is valid for multiple applications for parole into the United States during the validity of the period noted above", then you are OK to travel multiple times using the AP.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of ps57002 has much to be proud of

Thank you all for your responses and sharing experiences...

Some more questions:

My H1b had expired on Dec 2007 and I haven't traveled since Aug 2007. So my I-94 has an expiry of Dec 2007. However I'd filed for 485 in Aug 2007, so had gone on EAD status on Nov 2007.[list]
  • will this cause any problem? I was in valid status I believe all this time due to timely filing of 485.
  • I should let them collect the I-94 on departure, right?

Also I have 2 original APs. My lawyer advised that I leave one here in USA with a family member and use other to travel. Will they question at POE why I am only carrying one when I was issued two?

Thanks in advance for responses....

Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uimv View Post
I was told my laywer "to hand over ONLY ONE copy at POE. If AP stamped, it can NOT be used again."
I have been traveling on AP for the last 3 years, since Octobet 2007 and I have used more than 10 times. The POE / CBP officer stamps the AP and passport on each occasion. Each of my AP has multiple stamps.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute gcwait2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps57002 View Post
Thank you all for your responses and sharing experiences...

Some more questions:

My H1b had expired on Dec 2007 and I haven't traveled since Aug 2007. So my I-94 has an expiry of Dec 2007. However I'd filed for 485 in Aug 2007, so had gone on EAD status on Nov 2007.[list]
  • will this cause any problem? I was in valid status I believe all this time due to timely filing of 485.
  • I should let them collect the I-94 on departure, right?

Also I have 2 original APs. My lawyer advised that I leave one here in USA with a family member and use other to travel. Will they question at POE why I am only carrying one when I was issued two?

Thanks in advance for responses....
Answers to your questions:
1. No. Once you file I-485, your status switches to 'pending AOS applicant'. You are completely safe.
2. Yes
3. Your attorney is correct. Except very few (that too, only in Chicago O'Hare airport), no one questions/ asks about the 2nd AP copy. They are supposed to take a photostat copy of the AP when they stamp. Since they are lazy, they take the 2nd copy itself. If you give them with a photostat copy, they would gladly accept the photocopy and return the original with the stamp.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ajm has a spectacular aura about ajm has a spectacular aura about
Default AP experience at Chicago

Entered US at Chicago yesterday using AP (came on flight AI 127 from Mumbai). Everything went smoothly at the immigration counter. In fact, there was no secondary inspection and the first officer who saw me handled all the paperwork in less than 10 minutes.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

Came back from India four weeks ago by KLM. It was Delhi - Amsterdam - Detroit flight. At Detroit, I was in the non US citizen line. Immigration officer took my finger prints, did some basic stuff and asked me to go lane 36. That lane was for Advance parole guys. I was the only one using AP. Another five minutes and I was done. I-94 says 1 year of validity. No issues at all either at Delhi, Amsterdam or Detroit airport.
I-140 - Approved
I-485 - July 2007 and pending
Filed 2nd labor in 2009
Filed 2nd I-140 in 2009
Ported the PD
GC in 08-2010 almost 10 years after coming to the US.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar1 View Post
Came back from India four weeks ago by KLM. It was Delhi - Amsterdam - Detroit flight. At Detroit, I was in the non US citizen line. Immigration officer took my finger prints, did some basic stuff and asked me to go lane 36. That lane was for Advance parole guys. I was the only one using AP. Another five minutes and I was done. I-94 says 1 year of validity. No issues at all either at Delhi, Amsterdam or Detroit airport.
If your I-94 is valid for only one year, does it mean that you need to get it revalidated again as soon as the date is reached?