Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
davestar can only hope to improve
Default Left my job and the US 11 months ago, now approved

Hello,
Last November I quit my job in the US and left the country as well. Two days ago, I received an email saying my 485 is approved, and card production was ordered. The card will go to an address in the US where someone can forward me the mail.
What should I do? Try to enter the U.S. with the card? What to say to POE officials? WIll I be questioned?
Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davestar View Post
Hello,
Last November I quit my job in the US and left the country as well. Two days ago, I received an email saying my 485 is approved, and card production was ordered. The card will go to an address in the US where someone can forward me the mail.
What should I do? Try to enter the U.S. with the card? What to say to POE officials? WIll I be questioned?
Thanks.
Once you get your green card, you are supposed to go work for the company who applied for your green card or work in a same or similar job. So it is good to have a job offer in hand. Talk to an Attorney on what are the potential questions at POE as you have been out of the country for a long time.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks.
Did you leave the country on your own will or were you let go by the employer? Just curious. Hope things work out.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Amitdon is a splendid one to behold Amitdon is a splendid one to behold Amitdon is a splendid one to behold Amitdon is a splendid one to behold Amitdon is a splendid one to behold Amitdon is a splendid one to behold
Default Should be in country ???

I read some where, you should be physically in country when you get card. Not sure you will be able to enter or not ?

I would suggest contact attorney.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks.
If you have AP you will be able to enter into the country without any issues / questions.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute GCNeophyte has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks.
I know one case who is very similar to your scenario. during POE they had to hear 5 mins of lecture from officer (rules of GC, like you need to stay here in US or other wise you would loose your GC blah blah blah) other than that they didn't face any issues entering with New GC. do your home work and good luck.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
weddell has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Depending on where you were located in the US, it might be a good idea to enter the country coming from a neighboring country (Canada, Mexico) with your green card in hand.
In any case dont travel with too many luggages ...

Let us know how it went.

Good luck !

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consult a good lawyer

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks.
Here is the scenario
When you left the country you must have handed your I-94 to the staff. This information
will be in the system, when you arrive here on GC they may let you in without any problem or can question you how you are approved while being out of country.

AOS(adjustment of status) means that you are adjusting from H1-B or whichever visa you have to permanent residency. For this adjustment you have to be in the country.
If you had opted for conseller processing than things would have been different.
You applied to Adjust within the US. here is where the issue is....

Consult a good attorney before taking a step, because in the long run when you apply for your citizenship they may refuse it and send you back.
GREENED ON 8/03/10
WAIT_FOR_EVER's - WAIT_IS_OVER

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future regacct has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks.
Do you have a valid AP?
If not, how is it possible to enter the country?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by regacct View Post
Do you have a valid AP?
If not, how is it possible to enter the country?
It seems to be a complicated situation. What status are you in now? Dont you have an AP/EAD? Is it expired? Please provide more details here and also if you obtain any legal advice post that here also so that others know.