Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Compare
gg_ny is a jewel in the rough gg_ny is a jewel in the rough gg_ny is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
Standing in the US citizen line at the airport does not give you a green card.

If the US citizen line is empty, the officers ask you to go stand there to minimize congestion.

I really do not understand that highly skilled people open up threads discussing such waste topics.

What is so fascinating about standing in different queues? And if at all you go through the line quickly because you were in the US citizen queue, you will get stuck in the baggage claim.

This is the last week on the admin fix campaign, IV is working extremely hard behind the scenes to make this campaign successful.

IV is an organization working every minute to fix issues faced by EB immigrants, and here a bunch of people just killing time talking about citizen restrooms or non citizen restrooms, citizen line or non citizen line, citizen food or non citizen food
Well said Chandu. In all these years, I have been out and into US 7-8 times. Everytime, the diff between non -cz and cz line has been ~20 min. So pathetic is the question, i can't believe one would put such a question here in this forum. Even if you ask 10 of your friends who are non-cz you would get a pic. Worse, if you are a programmer/ in IT, many of your colleagues would be non-cz or have been so until recently. One could have asked them. Next, I think, there would be questions about which hand to rise when you take oath for your child's passport application, what kind of westernized name to pick for your pet, how to decorate your front porch, which salad dressing to use
(Italian is for non-cz while ranch is for wannabies, just as a tip). Dreadfully pathetic. For 20 min waiting in an airport line, you need a forum and a website. Shame.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Compare
gg_ny is a jewel in the rough gg_ny is a jewel in the rough gg_ny is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_hoosier View Post
I think this issue has been discussed in great detail in other posts - ridiculing people's posts & over emphasizing what IV is doing is not going to help anyone. As a senior member, you are hurting IV's cause by such posts

If you are not interested in this topic - don't read it !!
nothing wrong in Chandu's posting. If you don't like it, you better not read that..

Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

This one is the dumbest post in a long time... i can forgive the lead poster but not the guys supporting him... once of them goes to an extent of saying u should travel for 18-24 hours with a toddler... and then u will realize...

simple dont travel... if u complain... if u travel dont complain... u got to do what you got to do...

if some one looks at this forum all the credibility of this IV would be lost with these stupid comments... we are not obsessed with GC.. but let's accept that this post is so silly...

Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of Maverick_2008 has much to be proud of
Default Wow..

People on this forum can be really nasty. So very easy to say, don't travel. What is so wrong about this question that people are just being downright rude? Thrashing each other won't speed up the green card process. If you didn't like the post (and other responses), nobody forced you to read and respond.

Maverick_2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
This one is the dumbest post in a long time... i can forgive the lead poster but not the guys supporting him... once of them goes to an extent of saying u should travel for 18-24 hours with a toddler... and then u will realize...

simple dont travel... if u complain... if u travel dont complain... u got to do what you got to do...

if some one looks at this forum all the credibility of this IV would be lost with these stupid comments... we are not obsessed with GC.. but let's accept that this post is so silly...

Old 02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light lotsofspace is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
then why ask the question in the first place... u go to the non-citizen's line... i know getting GC is not the priority or we dont need to get obsessed over that.. but this question is stupid...

beofre you say that.. i shud be kicking myself once again for even responding to this post...
Please do so
I am not the OP if you observe. The point is , you may get all kinds of questions in a public forum. If you don't like it , just move on. Posting a supposedly stupid question does not stop any one from getting a GC. So relax and keep sending your letters to the president. One day he might show some mercy and grant a card.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

So what exactly is a forum for then? I aways thought this forum is to discuss any issue related to GC / EAD /Travel/H1B etc. In a nutshell to discuss any thing that a member has questions about that is related to US immigration. If you know the answer to a question posted you reply and help the guy. If you don't know the answer or don't care for the post (like in this case) you ignore the post and move on. We can't always be discusiing issue that everyone likes. We all have different issues at different times. We read other posts and the questions and answers and we all learn. Just live and let live guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptam View Post
This forum is not for discussing which queue you stand in a airport...

Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute
Default You are getting me wrong...

I'm not undermining the original question or the person who asked it. Every question is useful and worthy to be asked ( Trust me even i've that curiosity in mind which line to stand because i too have a US citizen child and i'm immigrant here )

But where you ask the question that's the point. Lets go back to definition - what is IV ? IV is a nice little portal / platform / congregation of folks who are pending adjudication of their EB (mainly) based Green Cards and stuck in limbo for years and they discuss/act on how the overall process could be improved ( by lobbying , sending letters/flowers or by doing Rally)

Which line to stand in airport - in no way falls within the context of this IV forum and its objective. Once again i say i've 100% respect for the question and the person who asked it but i object the context/forum its been raised.

Anyway - we are making a mountain out of a m...hill .... This is my 2nd and last post on this topic. Take it easy and no hard feelings buddy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasantha View Post
So what exactly is a forum for then? I aways thought this forum is to discuss any issue related to GC / EAD /Travel/H1B etc. In a nutshell to discuss any thing that a member has questions about that is related to US immigration. If you know the answer to a question posted you reply and help the guy. If you don't know the answer or don't care for the post (like in this case) you ignore the post and move on. We can't always be discusiing issue that everyone likes. We all have different issues at different times. We read other posts and the questions and answers and we all learn. Just live and let live guys.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
monkeyman has a spectacular aura about monkeyman has a spectacular aura about
Default Great Fight!!! Keep Going!!!

I do believe that no question is stupid - here goes:

1. Travel
If you are traveling with a kid who's a Citizen and you have AP, talk to an officer managing the line and see what he wants you to do - the citizen line and non-citizen line is only a convenience factor.

Obviously someone like Chandu Bai will now ask me how do I know - well, I have travelled with my infant child, and based on my lawyer's advise (which is what I posted above), I could get through the citizen line faster to the luggage area where my wife was able to sit with the child while I had retrieve the bag that was carrying groceries enough for an year!!!

2. Indian / US Passport
A child born in US will always get a US Passport. Its the child's birth right!!! Even if you were to get a Indian passport, you could get to India, but while applying for the visa for your child, they will be automatically issued the US Passport (you are required to fill up Date of Birth, Place, Country) and attach the birth certificate. At that point, the childs Indian passport will be stamped as being cancelled. If for some reason, you decide to leave the country to be in India for good, after the child turns 18, he/she will have the autonomous power to decide what they want. And all these information has been posted.

No one can predict future - and your child is not eligible for OCI Card. Your grandchildren are currently eligible for OCI Card. You will get what is known as PIO Card (Person of Indian Origin) which is the same as US Permanent Residency Card. The PIO Card Holder can open accounts, buy property and invest anyway they want. Ofcourse, PIO Card Holders still need to register at the Foreigner Registry if the stay exceeds 180 days. But that is more of an Indian Government code and not very tough. As you can imagine - not many decide to go back or whoever go back sometimes come back. So there is no retrogression over in India.

Note that this post applies only to India. I cannot speak to other countries. And remember, most of you pay the lawyer - ask for their opinion!!!
Notice Date: 9/7/2007
EAD Approved: 9/27/2007
FP Notices Received: 9/23/07 (App. Dt 10/13/2007)

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Seriously - do we have to fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptam View Post
I'm not undermining the original question or the person who asked it. Every question is useful and worthy to be asked ( Trust me even i've that curiosity in mind which line to stand because i too have a US citizen child and i'm immigrant here )

But where you ask the question that's the point. Lets go back to definition - what is IV ? IV is a nice little portal / platform / congregation of folks who are pending adjudication of their EB (mainly) based Green Cards and stuck in limbo for years and they discuss/act on how the overall process could be improved ( by lobbying , sending letters/flowers or by doing Rally)

Which line to stand in airport - in no way falls within the context of this IV forum and its objective. Once again i say i've 100% respect for the question and the person who asked it but i object the context/forum its been raised.

Anyway - we are making a mountain out of a m...hill .... This is my 2nd and last post on this topic. Take it easy and no hard feelings buddy !

I love this fight - if someone asks a question and if the reader thinks its stupid, just don't answer it. But don't go about cribbing - it sounds more like a loser getting his/her frustration out. With all senior members walking over each other in a typical political manner, it makes for a good drama and further enforces the fact that divide and conquer really did work. Everyone talks about unity and god knows what in this forum, unfortunately, everyone has different agenda!!! Keep going - soon someone will vent their anger and on this post until the moderator decides to terminate the thread!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2004
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasantha View Post
That is not going to sell. If you think someone can ask questions like this, somebody else should have equal rights to comment on it. Why should freedom of posting a question first should be unrestrained while comments about the nature, place and relevance of the question need to be avoided...

If ~20 min standing in an airport line is a damn important question, then why not someone who has admin privileges compile domestic-FAQs and such question can be posted there.

Now I have a question, see how relevant to this. An Indologist professor, American by birth and heredity, wants to try Bisibela bath. His children want it too; they have tasted it in India and want to try making it in indianapolis. This is for real. Can I ask for a recipe here in this or any other forum? Being nice to an American professor may even get a vote for GC liberation if there is a national referendum.. I can ask him to write a supporting letter to you-name-who for visa number release to EB 2/3 India, if that would make asking for recipe legitimate...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg_ny View Post
That is not going to sell. If you think someone can ask questions like this, somebody else should have equal rights to comment on it. Why should freedom of posting a question first should be unrestrained while comments about the nature, place and relevance of the question need to be avoided...

If ~20 min standing in an airport line is a damn important question, then why not someone who has admin privileges compile domestic-FAQs and such question can be posted there.

Now I have a question, see how relevant to this. An Indologist professor, American by birth and heredity, wants to try Bisibela bath. His children want it too; they have tasted it in India and want to try making it in indianapolis. This is for real. Can I ask for a recipe here in this or any other forum? Being nice to an American professor may even get a vote for GC liberation if there is a national referendum.. I can ask him to write a supporting letter to you-name-who for visa number release to EB 2/3 India, if that would make asking for recipe legitimate...

Excellent - now your question. Its not a stupid question - and I would not know the answer either (I have no clue how to taste any kind of bath - let alone your professor's Bisbela bath!!!). But I am pretty sure, someone who knows shall be glad answer it. And someone like me will ignore it - and ignorance is bliss. In this case I am posting because of a different context - but if I ask what is GC would you answer it? That is the question my friend!!!
If you think that asking what GC is in this forum is deemed stupid, then I'd say the forum existence needs to be evaluated and shut down if needed.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold orangutan is a splendid one to behold
Default here you go

Ingredients
11/2cups: Rice, 1/2cup: Tur dal, 2 No: Small brinjals, 1 No: Carrot, 2 No: Drumsticks, A small piece of vegetable marrow, A handful: Madras onions, a pinch: Turmeric powder, 6 No: Red chillies, 4 No: Green chillies, 2 tsp: Mustard
20 Gm: Cashew nut, Curry leaves few, Coriander leaves few, Tamarind size of a lime, Ghee for frying, Salt to taste
For Powdering,1tsp: Fenugreek seeds, 1tsp: Coriander seeds, 6 No: Red chillies ,Grated coconut ,For Masala
4 No: Cardamoms ,4 No: Cloves , tsp: Aniseeds ,1tsp: Poppy seeds , A small piece: Cinnamon

Preparation
Peel Madras onions.
Peel and cut vegetables into 1 inch pieces.
Wash rice and dal thoroughly. Place it in a container with 21/2 cups of water, a pinch of turmeric powder and chopped vegetables.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the ingredients for powdering until fenugreek turns golden brown in colour. Powder and keep aside.
Heat some more oil and fry poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, aniseeds. Powder and keep aside.
Soak tamarind in a little water and extract juice.
Heat oil, add red and green chillies, mustard and curry leaves. When mustard crackles, add to rice and mix well. Add tamarind juice, salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
Heat a little ghee and fry cashew nuts until golden brown in colour.
Add to rice along with powdered ingredients and masala powder. Mix well. Remove from fire.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and add some ghee just before serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg_ny View Post

Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 485Mbe4001 View Post
I have travelled with infant USC kids on H1 and AP on numerous ocassions. The line you stand in is based on the parents status. The first AP queue breeze there were only 4 families. In Aug 07 i was waiting in the AP line for 1.5hrs at LAX. There were atleast 3 others with younger kids who were equally or more tired and cranky. There is no special treatment and dont expect any. Once in a while you might be lucky and they might ask you to go to a different line to process you.
similar experiences here. Actually I am less worried about the immigration line (Ans: ask the officer who is almost always standing where the lines start) and more about the security lines when travelling with kids.

Some experiences:
- they threw away our bottle of boiled water which we had carried with us for making baby-formula. Said we'll get it on the plane. And we did, for 6 hours of a 10 hour flight when they mysteriously ran out of hot water. Damn american airlines, I am always going to fly singapore/cathay.

- they gave me a hard time because the jar of Gerbers baby food was more than the 3Oz or whatever stupid limit they have. atleast on begging and pleading they allowed that in.

- made me taste a jar of chicken stew (anyone who has handled baby food knows that its only possible for kids under 2 to eat it. Elders typically find it repulsive to say the least). Had I refused, I would have flown first-class to Guantanamo... so held my nose, cursed them, took a bite and gulped it down with a bottle of water (which they then confiscated).

after all this it comes to take-off-your-shoes, take-off-your-babys-shoes, take off your belt... now with my trouser slipping, completely barefoot, hair all dishevelled and the toddler trying to race across multiple security lines they ask me to remove my laptop from my carry-on bag and place it in a separate tray.

The only positive thing regarding airport security so far is that we have not had an underwear-bomber like that Reid shoe-bomber fellow. Take-off-your-shoes is something I can handle. underwear would be...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

My intention was not to poke at the post but I did personally feel the question is trivial. Come on folks, it is a question about standing in a queue, citizen queue or non citizen queue.

Offcourse, this is an open discussion forum and we can post what we want, in fact I have posted about airlines and travel etc.... but in a seriousness, there was some merit to those posts.

Now what if your kid is not a US citizen and what if your entire family is a US citizen and unfortunately the citizen line is bigger than non citizen line??

Go to SAMS or Costco on a Sunday afternoon and u have no option but to wait in those big queues.

Go to a tourist attraction on a long weekend - all u see is queues

Have you ever waited for an hour to eat the buffet at Bellagio in Las Vegas?

On another note, when you checkin to an international flight in places like India - you spend hours in the queue just for checkin and then at the immigration and then at security. The security at Indian airports check each person individually. When you board the flight in India, boarding is not done based on seating but it is a single long queue.

Please do not get me wrong. What I say is, we can definitely utilize IVs platform by opening constructive threads - good ideas - forward thinking. We are all highly educated and we can channelize all our efforts towards building a strong community.

Every IV member is a valuble member - it is upto the member to decide on how they can add value so that we collectively benefit.

Someone posted that I was expecting a child - I now have a 25 day old baby So it is worse in case I have to stand in queue

Someone posted that my passion is getting a GC - well I am one of the GC applicant like you all and there is nothing to hide about. Both of us have decent careers and it is not like GC will make a big difference, well it does make but it is not the end of the road without GC. I strongly believe that we immigrants must have our own support system and we all MUST work hard towards what we want to achieve. If someone applied for GC and posts on IV regularly but says "I don't care for GC, I am not as desperate as you are etc..." - it sounds like hypocracy.

All that I have to say is - lets not keep pounding on this thread, let it go down the ladder.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2006
Compare
mallu has a spectacular aura about mallu has a spectacular aura about mallu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerd View Post
..... Since the lines for US citizens are shorter and with a kid it makes sense to go through those if allowed. .....
One has to be in the 'visitor' queue even if the group consists of US citizen kid. Last month when i came back from India ( after 22 hours up in the air + other 8 hours for road travel,waiting etc) , i was exhausted. The kid was the worst affected. I salivated at the citizen lines . Minutes of wait appeared like ages. Waited 1 hour in the line. Then waited another hour in secondary inspection.