Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts
Default Returned on AP

I have returned from 1 month india trip. I have H1 until 2010 but no stamp in my passport. After getting off the flight, i told the officer i have a valid H1visa and also have AP. He took my fingerprints and entered my info in computer and sent me to special processing. Here this office took 2 copies of my AP, kept one and gave one back stamped. He also stapled a new I-94 which was valid for 1 year. He said, next time you travel, bring this AP and you should be ok.we exchanged a couple of comments on weather and thats it.

Now, am i on H1?. or am i a parolee and my H1 is invalid?.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_kumar View Post
I have returned from 1 month india trip. I have H1 until 2010 but no stamp in my passport. After getting off the flight, i told the officer i have a valid H1visa and also have AP. He took my fingerprints and entered my info in computer and sent me to special processing. Here this office took 2 copies of my AP, kept one and gave one back stamped. He also stapled a new I-94 which was valid for 1 year. He said, next time you travel, bring this AP and you should be ok.we exchanged a couple of comments on weather and thats it.

Why did they have to fingerprint you? I heard they dont do that for people on AP? Just curious. Also, which airport did you get into?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnraajan View Post
Why did they have to fingerprint you? I heard they dont do that for people on AP? Just curious. Also, which airport did you get into?
I guess they verify my fingerprints with the ones they have. I landed in detroit.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entered using AP - Chicago

We went to India and came back using AP.Total immigration process took about 20 minutes at Chicago airport. Officer asked us few questions.
1. How long you stayed in India?
2. How long you are working with GC sponsoring company?
Comments – when I replied with two years, his response was very short and he is Surprise that company is considering doing GC in just two years.
3. Is this your first visit using AP? (Comments- using AP for traveling is hard thing and we should not consider it ….)
4. Who is paying for GC expense and how long I need to stay with GC sponsoring company after getting GC? (When I said at least two years but I have not signed any contract to follow that, then he said two years again short period for such huge GC expense for company.)
5. I had three copies, He kept one with him .another return to me as my copy and third one stamped. He said if I travel outside USA here after I will just need third copy and passport.
6. He stamped my I-94 and AP with parole with one year validity period from entering date.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all shree19772000 is a name known to all
Default Travelling on AP

You said they gave you I-94 for one year. What happens after one year? You should not overstay the validy of your I-94 right?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
webm will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yes a parolee,and dont worry your H1 status is still valid and until its validity..Ofcourse you can also file H1-Ext and you will get new I-94..Also renew AP every yr upon it's required..

HTH,
webm

Last edited by webm; 04-09-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree19772000 View Post
You said they gave you I-94 for one year. What happens after one year? You should not overstay the validy of your I-94 right?
good question! lets see if anyone can answer here.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by webm View Post
Yes a parolee,and dont worry your H1 status is still valid and until its validity..Ofcourse you can also file H1-Ext and you will get new I-94..Also renew AP every yr upon it's required..

HTH,
webm
I gave my H1 I-94 while departing to india, so how can i extend this AP I-94?.
thanks.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
I gave my H1 I-94 while departing to india, so how can i extend this AP I-94?.
thanks.
You can still continue on H1 even though your AP I-94 expires as you are now on AOS and when you file your H1 Ext obviously you will get new I-94.And If you plan another trip outside and enter on AP again you know what happens they give new I-94 etc..

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by webm View Post
You can still continue on H1 even though your AP I-94 expires as you are now on AOS and when you file your H1 Ext obviously you will get new I-94.And If you plan another trip outside and enter on AP again you know what happens they give new I-94 etc..
my next H1 renewal is not until 2010.so i need to go to canada and come back to get a new I-94, when its time to renew, huh?.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
mhtanim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vactorboy29 View Post
We went to India and came back using AP.Total immigration process took about 20 minutes at Chicago airport. Officer asked us few questions.
Comments – when I replied with two years, his response was very short and he is Surprise that company is considering doing GC in just two years.
3. Is this your first visit using AP? (Comments- using AP for traveling is hard thing and we should not consider it ….)
4. Who is paying for GC expense and how long I need to stay with GC sponsoring company after getting GC? (When I said at least two years but I have not signed any contract to follow that, then he said two years again short period for such huge GC expense for company.)
5. I had three copies, He kept one with him .another return to me as my copy and third one stamped. He said if I travel outside USA here after I will just need third copy and passport.
6. He stamped my I-94 and AP with parole with one year validity period from entering date.
I don't understand why he needs to know who paid for your GC expenses. Also, I don't think it's appropriate for him to ask you how long you need to stay with sponsoring company once you get GC.

By the way, why did he say traveling with AP is a hard thing to do? Hundreds to people are doing it everyday.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know why he was so rude and asking so many questions. I think AP is not real travel document .It meant for emergency travel. If any one has better idea can explain us...

Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
my next H1 renewal is not until 2010.so i need to go to canada and come back to get a new I-94, when its time to renew, huh?.
Only if you have plans to go canada then only..otherwise if you are staying inside then no need...you can continue as you are already on AOS...

Please search in this forum,there are some threads on the same topic..for more reference..

Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of

Quote:
You are on parolee status but you will still be working on your H1. Your I-94 expiration date is irrelevant and your stay will be valid upto the expiration of your H1 I-797.
I-485 delivered to NSC 8 August 2007
Receipted at TSC 2 October 2007

Old 04-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default how come you have 3 copies

Every body has 2 you have 3 of AP ??..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vactorboy29 View Post