Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Compare
fryselectronics has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Unhappy Green Card approved when out of country

We go travel outside United States for home country wife's granny is sick. What happen if GC gets approved when out of country and card come home? I got visa and parole but I think I can't use to enter if after GC approved. Can I ask friend send GC to me and use to enter? Do I enter the country in 30 days or 60 days after the card approved or received? Do you someone sign and received the GC post mail or postman put in post box in home? Gracias
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Germany
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sonoranwolf is on a distinguished road

It's my understanding that this isn't an issue. You can present your travel docs and visa, but when they look you up in the system, they should see that your GC is approved and have you enter as a permanent resident. OR they may have you enter under your visa and you will then need to go to your local USCIS office to get your GC stamp. You should verify this with your lawyer, but I've been told that getting the GC approved while out of the country is not a problem.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Compare
Default thank you

thanks, thinking why spend $200 for lawyer to ask question, read discussion for forum its ok to enter with AP but visa expired once GC is approved. Card comes in regular mail like junk mail. Careful wife and dog no biting tearing thrashing without opening

Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute roseball has a reputation beyond repute

If your GC is approved while you are outside US, DO NOT Re-Enter on a VISA. This will cancel your GC. Your only options are to use AP or have some one mail your GC to your home country and then use it to re-enter....

Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Lebanon
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ns521 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball View Post
If your GC is approved while you are outside US, DO NOT Re-Enter on a VISA. This will cancel your GC. Your only options are to use AP or have some one mail your GC to your home country and then use it to re-enter....
Fedex doesn't allow you to mail documents like GC

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryselectronics View Post
We go travel outside United States for home country wife's granny is sick. What happen if GC gets approved when out of country and card come home? I got visa and parole but I think I can't use to enter if after GC approved. Can I ask friend send GC to me and use to enter? Do I enter the country in 30 days or 60 days after the card approved or received? Do you someone sign and received the GC post mail or postman put in post box in home? Gracias
Use Advanced Parole. That's one of the purpose of AP (and one of the reasons that it is suggested that you obtain your AP before travelling even if your H1B has not expired).

Old 04-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
capriol is just really nice capriol is just really nice capriol is just really nice capriol is just really nice
Red face A similar question on re-entry

Dear friends:
I have a similar question: My 485 is pending, I have a valid H1B till August 2008, and no Advanced Parole. My PD is October 2006 (India) and I do not think for a long, long time it will become current. So, my question:

Do you think it is safe for me to travel to India in May 08 and return in June 08, with a valid H1B but no Advance Parole.Will I be stopped entry without an Advance parole? Please help.
Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
webm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriol View Post
Dear friends:
Do you think it is safe for me to travel to India in May 08 and return in June 08, with a valid H1B but no Advance Parole.Will I be stopped entry without an Advance parole? Please help.
Thanks
No one will stop if no AP as long as you have a valid H1-B visa stampped in your passport..enjoy your travel!!

AP is just an alternate travel document at POE,incase you don't have valid visa on your passport while your 485 is pending...

Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold

It seems my gc has finally been approved. We received card production emails today. We are currently visiting India and have in our possession original Advance Parole documents and I-485 receipt notices.

I think we should be able to enter on Advance Parole status without any issues but 10 years on H1B status have made me completely paranoid.
Is entry back into US going to be an issue or do you think we can sail through the inspection?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light
Default my research

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegchuh View Post
It seems my gc has finally been approved. We received card production emails today. We are currently visiting India and have in our possession original Advance Parole documents and I-485 receipt notices.

I think we should be able to enter on Advance Parole status without any issues but 10 years on H1B status have made me completely paranoid.
Is entry back into US going to be an issue or do you think we can sail through the inspection?
i did some research on this topic a few days back

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17434 (I-485 Approved While Abroad on AP)

Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
capriol is just really nice capriol is just really nice capriol is just really nice capriol is just really nice
Red face Thanks, webm

Dear webm,
Thank you so much for your reply.
Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webm View Post
No one will stop if no AP as long as you have a valid H1-B visa stampped in your passport..enjoy your travel!!

AP is just an alternate travel document at POE,incase you don't have valid visa on your passport while your 485 is pending...

Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Compare
Default thank you all

getting AP is safe.
nobody know when GC gets approved.

friend with 2006 priority date - you get AP also before travel. if lucky and you get approved you shouldn't enter on H1 visa it will be expired once GC approved or you will cancel GC approval if you enter on H1B (not good both ways).

people say 2 things, you can use AP to enter and its ok or someone said they enter you on GC if you get a good offier at the Point of Entry (POE) in the airport who check and see you get GC, (not going to happen for all) or ask someone to carry GC to you and you get that and enter the country. that is OK if you don't want to take AP now or don't have time to take AP now. But you check before leaving from your home country or during transit, I see you come from India (long flight??) what if your status change when your are in flight? so better get AP and check with the POE to see if approved, if not approved use H1 if approved use AP or ask the POE to put you through GC