Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
subba will become famous soon enough subba will become famous soon enough
Default Travel after "Card production ordered" but approval/card not received

I am in kind of a dilemma and hoping someone knows what my options are...

I got an email from CRIS saying "Card production ordered" today.
I am supposed to travel to India in a week, and I have not gotten my AP approval yet.

In case the card/approval does not arrive before I leave, what option(s) do I have to come back?

Also, I am not sure the address change I filed a few months ago updates the address for my I485 application. Is there a way for me to check what address they have? If it is the old address, is there any way for me to receive it ?(I heard the post office does not forward them to my new address)

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
mita is a name known to all mita is a name known to all mita is a name known to all mita is a name known to all mita is a name known to all mita is a name known to all

You will receive the welcome letter in a couple of days and I think you can take that to local office and get your passport stamped. Call USCIS and check which address they have on file, update it if old. Contact your attorney on these issues as he'll be best to guide you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subba View Post
I am in kind of a dilemma and hoping someone knows what my options are...

I got an email from CRIS saying "Card production ordered" today.
I am supposed to travel to India in a week, and I have not gotten my AP approval yet.

In case the card/approval does not arrive before I leave, what option(s) do I have to come back?

Also, I am not sure the address change I filed a few months ago updates the address for my I485 application. Is there a way for me to check what address they have? If it is the old address, is there any way for me to receive it ?(I heard the post office does not forward them to my new address)

Thanks a lot.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks mita. I am already trying to wring some answers out of my lawyer, but having no luck.

I tried calling USCIS but could not figure out which options to enter to talk to an officer regarding my case. Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mita View Post
You will receive the welcome letter in a couple of days and I think you can take that to local office and get your passport stamped. Call USCIS and check which address they have on file, update it if old. Contact your attorney on these issues as he'll be best to guide you.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by subba View Post
Thanks mita. I am already trying to wring some answers out of my lawyer, but having no luck.

I tried calling USCIS but could not figure out which options to enter to talk to an officer regarding my case. Any idea?
You should be getting the welcome notice before this weekend. Walk-in to infopass with welcome notice, 485 receipt, 2 photos, travel ticket and unexpired passport. The IO will make a 551 stamp, validity ranging from 60 days to 1 year. This is a temporary proof your permanent residency and you should enter US before the stamp expires. Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks wandmaker.
Looks like I need to do two things - Try to call USCIS and ask an officer as to which address they have on file for the case & check with my old post-office if they can hold the mail for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandmaker View Post
You should be getting the welcome notice before this weekend. Walk-in to infopass with welcome notice, 485 receipt, 2 photos, travel ticket and unexpired passport. The IO will make a 551 stamp, validity ranging from 60 days to 1 year. This is a temporary proof your permanent residency and you should enter US before the stamp expires. Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Update

Wanted to update this thread on what transpired....
We took a INFOPASS appointment (Boston) for Thursday. On Monday we decided to gatecrash the USCIS office without an appt. Luckily we got in and they gave us I551 stamps after seeing our tickets.
However, later in the week we got the physical cards in the mail as well (my old post office forwarded them, contrary to my expectation).