Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munshi75 has a spectacular aura about Munshi75 has a spectacular aura about Munshi75 has a spectacular aura about
Default Transit Visa- Air france?

I am on Aos pending(using my AP) and plan to make a trip to India via Paris (Air france). Do we need a Transit Visa in Paris we change aircrafts while going and coming back as well.

If any of you have done this before , please give me your experience.

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munshi75 View Post
I am on Aos pending(using my AP) and plan to make a trip to India via Paris (Air france). Do we need a Transit Visa in Paris we change aircrafts while going and coming back as well.

Thank you.
If you have a passport stamp of US Visa that is beyond the date of travel, you do not need transit visa.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of ferozmd has much to be proud of

If you have more than one stop, then , yes you do need the transit visa. I faced the same issue last year...I had stops in Paris and Netherlands... they didn't let me board the plane without a transit visa.. I had to buy a ticket on British Airways on the spot for 2K one way -

Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
pmamp has a spectacular aura about pmamp has a spectacular aura about

You need a transit visa if you do not have a valid (current) visa stamp on your passport for the country of origin.

In other words when going to India from US, you must have your US visa on PP current. Coming back you since you have Indian PP and valid re-entry permit to US you don't need a transit visa. You can get a French transit visa by walk-in to French consulate in US.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Thank you.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmamp View Post
You need a transit visa if you do not have a valid (current) visa stamp on your passport for the country of origin.

In other words when going to India from US, you must have your US visa on PP current. Coming back you since you have Indian PP and valid re-entry permit to US you don't need a transit visa. You can get a French transit visa by walk-in to French consulate in US.

Hope this helps.
As per french consulate website, any unexpired US visa on passport is enough. Like for eg, if you have F1 unexpired visa but you are working on H1, you still dont need transit visa as you have some unexpired visa on the passport. Similarly even if you are on EAD, if you have unexpired H1 stamping you dont need visa.

http://www.consulfrance-houston.org/...sked-questions

Q : I am an Indian citizen. I have a US F-1 visa valid in my passport, but my status changed and I have to go back to India to get my H-1B. I will fly from the US to India and have to go through Charles de Gaulle for a couple of hours. Do I need an airport transit visa ?

A : As long as you have a valid US visa stamped in your passport, you do not need an airport transit visa, even if your status has changed.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Appu is on a distinguished road
Default Avoid CDG and Air France

Quote:

Thank you.
Aside from the transit visa issue, several friends and family who traveled via CDG airport by Air France have told me that CDG is the worst airport in their experience. There is some construction work going on and they make you get off the plane on the tarmac and board a bus and let you off at some random gate without much help or information for transit passengers. People manning information desks are notoriously rude and unhelpful. The layout of the new CDG is like an Escher painting, with floor 4 between floors 5 and 6. Overall I would avoid Air France and CDG.

Lufthansa does not require transit visa. There's also a detailed thread about airlines that do not require transit visas.
Switched employers Dec, 2006
EB2-NIW - filed July, 2007
EB1A - filed July, 2007
Received EAD and AP Dec, 2007
EB2-NIW approved August 2008
RFE on I485 received August 2008
EB1A approved September 2008
Received card October 1st 2008

Contributed $200 to IV

Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts ramhs is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appu View Post
Aside from the transit visa issue, several friends and family who traveled via CDG airport by Air France have told me that CDG is the worst airport in their experience. There is some construction work going on and they make you get off the plane on the tarmac and board a bus and let you off at some random gate without much help or information for transit passengers. People manning information desks are notoriously rude and unhelpful. The layout of the new CDG is like an Escher painting, with floor 4 between floors 5 and 6. Overall I would avoid Air France and CDG.

Lufthansa does not require transit visa. There's also a detailed thread about airlines that do not require transit visas.
My inlaws transited through CDG last month and did not have any problems , it all depends on how your flights are scheduled. Last time I transited Frankfurt earlier this year, the aircraft was parked far away and brought into terminal in BUS and once we entered terminal there was no english boards anywhere about where to connect to next flight, so I just had to follow other passengers to customer desk. Every non-english speaking airport will have these problems I think.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/12/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
hibhagya is on a distinguished road
Question Did anybody travelled in Air france recently?

I do not have a valid visa but holding an advance parole. I checked with my travel agent and he said its not required to have air transit visa when going thorugh air france.
Does any one have first hand experience ,who traveled with advance parole? If so can you please share your experience?

Thanks

Last edited by hibhagya; 12-10-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute NolaIndian32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ap may not be sufficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibhagya View Post
I do not have a valid visa but holding a advance payrole. I checked with my travel agent and he said its not required to have air transit visa when going thorugh air france.
Does any one have first hand experience ,who traveled with advance payrole? If so can you please share your experience?

Thanks
I think you mean parole, not payrole.

From reading the info on the French Consular Office website, it looks like an AP will not be sufficient. You need an unexpired US VISA stamped in your passport, or a Green Card in hand to transit without a transit visa.

Airport transit visa - Consulat Général de France Washington

-Nola
I-140 approved Sept.'06, I-485 filed July '07
In the U.S. since 1994
Member Texas State Chapter
Funds Raised for Team IV Walking/Running Club - $2,997.00
Contributions to IV thusfar - $400.00

If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare
Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all

Does anybody has any recent experince with travelling via Paris on AP? I will be travelling via Paris next week on AP and my friend who travelled with AP in March says the transit visa was not required but it appears the French embassy's website is saying otherwise.

Requirements for transit visas, short and long stay visas - France in the Southeast region

Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute

No recent experience, but I flew Air-France once during my pre-AP days, and I was told by the travel agent at the time that the AP alone wouldn't suffice. I was okay though, because I had a stamped visa in addition to the AP.

I don't fly them anymore, the only travel document i have these days is the AP, and from what I have been told, I would need a transit visa to go through France.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare
Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply. i called couple of travel agents and they confirmed this same thing. The embassy websites too clearly say that you need a transit visa even if you have an AP. In my friends case, it appears the airlines personnel in India made a mistake by allowing him to board the plane with an AP.