Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
tlajmi is on a distinguished road
Question Your opinions on my AP scenario please!!!

I have used my AP 4 times already this year (vacation and business). On my third trip - the Dulles seconday IO made a big fuss that AP should only be used for emergency purposes. Somehow I argued my way out. I just used my AP again last week with no issues at all.

So I will be going to Argentina on vacation this Nov, which I booked using my miles, before I knew the risks of traveling on AP. The problem is that I will be going through Dulles again and am not sure if I should risk it (I already have 4 stamps on my AP doc!). My lawyer insists that I should have no issues as my AP is for multiple trips and is valid until Feb 2009.

What are your thoughts people? Would you risk it? I don't want to cancel the trip as it's going to cost me $500 to cancel!!

Worst case scenario - they deny me entry..but what happens next? Do I have any rights or will they ship me back to my home country?

I appreciate your opinions. Thx.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/25/2005
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 279
DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Was this IO at Dulles of mexican descend? He gave me hard time too entering on AP (even for first time use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlajmi View Post
I have used my AP 4 times already this year (vacation and business). On my third trip - the Dulles seconday IO made a big fuss that AP should only be used for emergency purposes. Somehow I argued my way out. I just used my AP again last week with no issues at all.

So I will be going to Argentina on vacation this Nov, which I booked using my miles, before I knew the risks of traveling on AP. The problem is that I will be going through Dulles again and am not sure if I should risk it (I already have 4 stamps on my AP doc!). My lawyer insists that I should have no issues as my AP is for multiple trips and is valid until Feb 2009.

What are your thoughts people? Would you risk it? I don't want to cancel the trip as it's going to cost me $500 to cancel!!

Worst case scenario - they deny me entry..but what happens next? Do I have any rights or will they ship me back to my home country?

I appreciate your opinions. Thx.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
tlajmi is on a distinguished road
Default Yes!

He was of Latino descent (presumably Mexican). I am worried I might see him again in which case he could really mess me up!

Out of curiosity, what time did you enter the secondary inspection room? I was there around 4:30 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 225
Blog Entries: 1
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default There was another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlajmi View Post
He was of Latino descent (presumably Mexican). I am worried I might see him again in which case he could really mess me up!

Out of curiosity, what time did you enter the secondary inspection room? I was there around 4:30 PM.
about humanitarian AP, that was supposed to be for emergency travel only. The 485 AOS AP can be used for any kind of travel. Some one posted a memo too in that thread. May be you can keep that handy while going. I think the problem is with that IO not having proper knowledge and needs to be educated.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/25/2005
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 279
DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I entered in secondary inspection area around 2:00 pm and my turn came to deal with him around 4:00 pm. He sure hates immigrants. Do you think he is chief IO there? coz I saw only him dealing with travellers and other 3/4 were just processing papers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlajmi View Post
He was of Latino descent (presumably Mexican). I am worried I might see him again in which case he could really mess me up!

Out of curiosity, what time did you enter the secondary inspection room? I was there around 4:30 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
tlajmi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLStart View Post
I entered in secondary inspection area around 2:00 pm and my turn came to deal with him around 4:00 pm. He sure hates immigrants. Do you think he is chief IO there? coz I saw only him dealing with travellers and other 3/4 were just processing papers?
Yeah, he was a jerk no doubt. There was this old lady who didn't speak any english and she was crying her lungs out. He actually called her contact in the US and asked him/her to verify their green card details before letting her through. He did say he was the supervisor, but I doubt it as I saw another man coming in and out who seemed like his superior. I don't think he is the chief IO.

I seriously want to know if anyone has really been denied entry on a multiple entry AP (assuming all paperwork was in order and the parolee was never out of status). Can anyone shed light on this?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
tlajmi is on a distinguished road
Default How can I prove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
about humanitarian AP, that was supposed to be for emergency travel only. The 485 AOS AP can be used for any kind of travel. Some one posted a memo too in that thread. May be you can keep that handy while going. I think the problem is with that IO not having proper knowledge and needs to be educated.
Hi Minimalist - how can I prove that my AP has been issued for 485 purposes and not on humanitarian grounds? The fine print on my AP says it is for humanitarian and significant public benefit purposes, but that's a blanket statement put on all APs. I just need some ammunition so I am prepared if I am faced with harassment again.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,026
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default My experience

I took only one copy with me thinking that I might need the other two for 2 more trips. The IO made big fuss out of it and said they need minimum of 2. One to give me and one for their records. He made copy of it for himself at the end. Actually I had a valid H1B so I did not want to use AP. Thats why I carried only one copy.

He also explained that once he stamps AP on the passprot we can travel any number of times with that before it expires(usually one year).

I think if you can take a letter from your attorney it might help.

Good Luck.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,026
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlajmi View Post
Hi Minimalist - how can I prove that my AP has been issued for 485 purposes and not on humanitarian grounds? The fine print on my AP says it is for humanitarian and significant public benefit purposes, but that's a blanket statement put on all APs. I just need some ammunition so I am prepared if I am faced with harassment again.
Have a copy of 485 with you.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
tlajmi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddymjm View Post
I took only one copy with me thinking that I might need the other two for 2 more trips. The IO made big fuss out of it and said they need minimum of 2. One to give me and one for their records. He made copy of it for himself at the end. Actually I had a valid H1B so I did not want to use AP. Thats why I carried only one copy.

He also explained that once he stamps AP on the passprot we can travel any number of times with that before it expires(usually one year).

I think if you can take a letter from your attorney it might help.

Good Luck.
USCIS does a terrible job on training their employees. The first time I used AP at JFK, the IO gave me back both copies. Second time at PHL, the IO kept the second copy. Inconsistency is what USCIS is all about!

But that is good to know my friend. I will request my lawyer to write something up in case I get hassled. Thank you for your comment
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 252
mhtanim will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
about humanitarian AP, that was supposed to be for emergency travel only. The 485 AOS AP can be used for any kind of travel. Some one posted a memo too in that thread. May be you can keep that handy while going. I think the problem is with that IO not having proper knowledge and needs to be educated.
Can you please direct me to that thread?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 225
Blog Entries: 1
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtanim View Post
Can you please direct me to that thread?
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21357 (AP Travelers Note This)
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 225
Blog Entries: 1
minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute minimalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default I second reddymjm's suggestion for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlajmi View Post
Hi Minimalist - how can I prove that my AP has been issued for 485 purposes and not on humanitarian grounds? The fine print on my AP says it is for humanitarian and significant public benefit purposes, but that's a blanket statement put on all APs. I just need some ammunition so I am prepared if I am faced with harassment again.
I second reddymjm's suggestion for this
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Various lawyer's opinions on using both H1b and EAD together dollar500 Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP 59 09-11-2011 06:06 PM
H1 Transfer Mixed Opinions WhoKnows? Non-Immigrant Visas 1 01-02-2009 11:14 PM
AC21 , job description question, opinions sought singhsa3 All other Green Card Issues 20 12-22-2007 12:45 AM
Your opinions and votes needed: IV a paid organization JazzByTheBay IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 0 12-13-2007 06:34 PM
Job change after I-140? - Opinions pl. sundarpn Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins 14 02-19-2007 12:22 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org