Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
roshnichowdhry is on a distinguished road
Default French Airport Transit Visa

Hi,

I have a valid F1 visa stamped on my passport, but I graduted from school this Spring and am now working. I have my H1 B papers but dont have my H1B visa stamped on my passport yet.

I am traveling to India from Chicago via Paris and wanted to know if I will need an airport transit visa.

I have got conflicting information from Chicago consulates website and Washingtons website, one says I do need it while the other says I dont.

Has anyone else faced this problem or know what needs to be done?

Please advice

Thanks
Roshni
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute anandrajesh has a reputation beyond repute
Default check with the consulate

I think you dont need one. As long as you have a valid visa stamping in your passport that is not expired you should be ok. Anyways, Send an email to the French consulate and they will respond.

I did the same thing while transitting thru Frankfurt and the German Embassy responded the next day. I didnt need a Transit Visa. I heard from my Travel Agent that due to the Transit Visa Reqts all these European Airlines are losing money and their respective govts have agreed to relax its Transit Visa Reqts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshnichowdhry
Hi,

I have a valid F1 visa stamped on my passport, but I graduted from school this Spring and am now working. I have my H1 B papers but dont have my H1B visa stamped on my passport yet.

I am traveling to India from Chicago via Paris and wanted to know if I will need an airport transit visa.

I have got conflicting information from Chicago consulates website and Washingtons website, one says I do need it while the other says I dont.

Please advice

Thanks
Roshni
HOPING USCIS either to approve or deny my GC ASAP - EB3 India, PD - 2004 Mar, I-140 - 2006 July
I-485/AP/EAD - RD July 2. ND Aug 15, 2007 NSC
FP - Oct 12, 2007 EAD,AP - 2nd set

Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I did send them an email but have not heard back from them. Its impossible to get through their phone lines.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

I got a response last year from San francisco that I needed transit visa, so i sent pp to them , got it stamped in a week spending around 75$ (visa,courier,etc), and when i landed in paris,no one even bothered to check my passport. To be in safe side it is better to get it.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of nozerd has much to be proud of

With transit visas the problem is not landing but boarding. They will not let you board your flight from the US if they feel you have a transit visa.

Also not many know but if you have a Canadian PR card you dont need a transit visa for any country in continental Europe or U. This is just in case you have Canadian PR as more and more ppl on this website seem to posess it as a backup.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks

Thanks guys for your input. I am trying to get the right information from the consulate, lets hope that I dont need to get the visa.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/06/2008
Compare
gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of gcpool has much to be proud of
Default Yes. You do

If the visa stamped on your passport has expired. Yes you do need to get a transit visa. Will they check it or not cannot be predicted

Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Germany last week for a week. I had the visa. Only when I boarded the local flight to another destination, did I have to go through passport control. Same thing on the way back. The visa is called "Schengen Visa" (not sure if that is applicable to transit visa also).

If you have valid US visa stamp on your passport, you should be fine. If not, when you change planes and if they are in different terminals, then there is a possibility of going thru' passport control.

To get the Schengen visa from the German Consulate in Chicago, I needed to have valid H1B stamp on passport + flight itinerary + hotel confirmation + employment verification letter + letter from employer that they will bear costs.

Last edited by janilsal; 11-29-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling from India to Chicago via Air France with US visitor visa stamp alone is possible. I do not think Indian visitors get transit visa stamp.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Default come on!!

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I did send them an email but have not heard back from them. Its impossible to get through their phone lines.
they have the info on their website. why do you need to call them? 2 seconds on google and here it is:
(*) exception : no airport transit visa is required from the citizen of Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cuba, Gambia, Guinea, India, Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Syria, if they have a valid US visa stamped in their passport (see the expiration date printed on the US visa), when travelling.

from the URL:

http://tinyurl.com/yfgsrh

to answer your question, as you have a valid F1 stamped, you do not need a transit visa. and the websites of chicago and DC have the SAME information

from the chicago consulate site:

Exception #2

You do NOT need an airport transit visa if, in addition to a valid passport of Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cuba, India, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Senegal or Syria, you also have a valid U.S. visa glued in your passport which will guarantee your re-admission in the U.S. (this only applies to actual US Visas, not to the I-20, not to the I-94, not to the advanced parole and not to any other attachment).

from the URL:
http://tinyurl.com/ye34nr

Last edited by qualified_trash; 11-29-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hi,

Please advice

Thanks
Roshni

Transit Visa is generally verifed by the carrier. So it will be veirfied at Chicago Airport before Carrier will issue you a boarding card. If you will call the airline they will not be able to tell if you need a Transit Visa or not. In my view saftest way to check will be that you pay a visit to the airport and ask the person who verify the passports about the visa requirements.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by janilsal
I went to Germany last week for a week. I had the visa. Only when I boarded the local flight to another destination, did I have to go through passport control. Same thing on the way back. The visa is called "Schengen Visa" (not sure if that is applicable to transit visa also).

If you have valid US visa stamp on your passport, you should be fine. If not, when you change planes and if they are in different terminals, then there is a possibility of going thru' passport control.

To get the Schengen visa from the German Consulate in Chicago, I needed to have valid H1B stamp on passport + flight itinerary + hotel confirmation + employment verification letter + letter from employer that they will bear costs.

A "Schengen visa" allows you to travel through 15 countries that are signatories to the Schengen treaty. These countries are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Last year I applied by mail for the transit visa, but now the website of the consulate in sanfrancisco says we need to apply in person, how can people living outside SFO be expected to visit the consulate personally just for this airport visa, this is hilarious and Air france stands to lose tremendously unless they relax these visa rules.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
MrWaitingGC is on a distinguished road
Default Safest is travel by Asia

Travel by Asia is always good right?

I got my H1 renewed(Visa stamp expired this year mid) and my wife moved from H4 to H1.

What do you suggest in my case if I travel via Europe do I need transit visa.

Advance thanks for your valuable input

Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
am4gc is on a distinguished road
Default why not use direct flight to India

Continental's Delhi-Newark service is being launched Nov 2, 2005. The first eastbound flight will depart Newark's Liberty International Airport Nov 1," a spokesman for the US carrier said. Fares begin from $499 each way.

The airline will fly Boeing-777 aircraft with 48 seats in the business and first class cabin and 235 seats in the economy class," a spokesman for Europe, Middle East and India said in the airline's London office.

Our non-stop service will offer average travel time savings between New Delhi and New York of at least two hours westbound and two-and-a-half hours eastbound