Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel with AP in Europe

Hello:

I was wondering if someone have experienced - travelling with AP in Europe and returning back to USA. I may have to travel in next couple of months (or later this year) to a few places in Eurpoe - Zurich / Geneva / Frankfurt / Paris etc. I don't have H-1B anymore. Working on EAD.

- couple of basic questions I have are -

1) Are there any problems in leaving from the above mentioned Airports to return to USA with AP?
2) Are there any issues in local travel (U-Rail, Bus, Car etc.)

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO BE OR NO TO BE View Post
Hello:

I was wondering if someone have experienced - travelling with AP in Europe and returning back to USA. I may have to travel in next couple of months (or later this year) to a few places in Eurpoe - Zurich / Geneva / Frankfurt / Paris etc. I don't have H-1B anymore. Working on EAD.

- couple of basic questions I have are -

1) Are there any problems in leaving from the above mentioned Airports to return to USA with AP?
2) Are there any issues in local travel (U-Rail, Bus, Car etc.)

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thank you
I can answer Q1. Returning to the US using a valid AP should not be a problem as long as you are not absent from the country for a very long time (usually 2 weeks to a month's absence is ok). I traveled on AP several times last year (5 to be exact) and did not face any issues. I am sure that the Airlines and the immigration officials at the above airports are familiar with AP. So, you won't have any issues boarding the aircraft from the above airports.

I can't answer Q2 as I have not traveled inside Europe (only stopped by the airports )

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Sunny1000

Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute

When you come back to the US port entry, make sure you have all HIB approvals prior to filling I-485. Say, if you have filled I-485 in July 2007, make sure you have all H1B approvals in HAND at least until Jun 2007.

I used AP past 2 times and last time I was asked by Immi Officer at port entry for all H1B papers and I didn't have all of them It was fun for an hour as he would not let me in Finally he let me in and warned me to carry all approvals until get the GC.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Thank you Amman

Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amman View Post
When you come back to the US port entry, make sure you have all HIB approvals prior to filling I-485. Say, if you have filled I-485 in July 2007, make sure you have all H1B approvals in HAND at least until Jun 2007.

I used AP past 2 times and last time I was asked by Immi Officer at port entry for all H1B papers and I didn't have all of them It was fun for an hour as he would not let me in Finally he let me in and warned me to carry all approvals until get the GC.
>>> I used AP past 2 times and last time I was asked by Immi Officer at port entry for all H1B papers and I didn't have all of them It was fun for an hour as he would not let me in

Amman...Is that even legal? The last time I checked with my immigration attorney, he advised that it is okay to carry i-485 petition notice and AP approvals and nothing else is required. Just last H1B approval, ended in 2007 and we are in 2012 and the IO would still expect us to carry a H1B approval that is 4 years old?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute

>> Just last H1B approval, ended in 2007 and we are in 2012 and the IO would still expect us to carry a H1B approval that is 4 years old?

Meant to say, My last H1B approval, ended in 2007...

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute Amman has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to have or carry H1B approvals AFTER you filled I-485. But you need to prepare to show them all approvals prior to I-485 filling. I guess what they are looking for is, before you file the I-485 , they wanted to check to make sure you maintained the status without any gap. You don't have to have H1B approval after I-485 filled.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare

Thanks Amman...

I understand what they are trying to do..but, it is ridiculous though...For a person like me, who has been in this country since 1999, that is a lot of H1B approval docs to carry

And I did H1B transfer a couple of times as well...Probably, I might be having around 4-5 H1B approval docs in total for the period between 1999 - 2007. It's gonna be fun..

Is it also true that, I would have to carry my 1040 tax returns for each year I had been in this country? Do they really ask for it?

With the airlines reducing the amount of luggage u can carry, it looks like 80% of my carry-on would just be bunch of papers As my stay grows longer and longer (because of EB3 issues), I foresee a scenario where my carry-on would just be bunch of papers to show IO at the port of entry

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirfries View Post
Thanks Amman...

I understand what they are trying to do..but, it is ridiculous though...For a person like me, who has been in this country since 1999, that is a lot of H1B approval docs to carry

And I did H1B transfer a couple of times as well...Probably, I might be having around 4-5 H1B approval docs in total for the period between 1999 - 2007. It's gonna be fun..

Is it also true that, I would have to carry my 1040 tax returns for each year I had been in this country? Do they really ask for it?

With the airlines reducing the amount of luggage u can carry, it looks like 80% of my carry-on would just be bunch of papers As my stay grows longer and longer (because of EB3 issues), I foresee a scenario where my carry-on would just be bunch of papers to show IO at the port of entry
I feel your pain, my friend. I have been here since 2000 and hate to carrying around all the crap..sick of it but I paid the price when I entered last time. This IO was really taught me a lession (legal or illegal, that’s different story). One more sick think to deal with until your greended.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirfries View Post
Thanks Amman...

Not sure about tax returns , I haven't had that pleasant experience YET

Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future
Default AP is not a problem

I have travelled several times and just came in couple days back on AP - Make sure you carry all the copies of the APs you have and they might send you to secondary immigration so make sure you have an hour/hour and a half for that...(I was never asked for past H1Bs)

Other than that its smooth sailing...good luck!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Thank you arc....