Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
Sri_ is a jewel in the rough Sri_ is a jewel in the rough Sri_ is a jewel in the rough
Default Kid travelling to India with New US Passport but OCI is on Expired US Passport.

I am an Indian citizen and is currently on AOS.
In few days, I will be travelling with my kid (minor) from US to India (Hyderabad).

My Kid is a US Citizen and will be travelling with the following documents from US to India.
(1) New US passport
(2) OCI Card
(3) Expired US Passport (OCI Visa Stamp is on the expired US Passport)

I just came to know from Indian embassy website that kids up to 20 years should get the OCI reissued every time they get the new US passport. I don't think I have sufficient time now to get the OCI reissued for my kid.

I want to check if anyone's kid has recently traveled with New US Passport and an OCI on the expired US Passport and had any issues in travelling to India.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Sri_
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute

My family went to India in December 2nd week with the same conditions for my son. No issues. Can you send the link where you read that OCI stamp has to be revalidated with a new passport?

HR3012 Wiki | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributed to all action items for H.R.3012 including $1400.00

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of NIW has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri_ View Post
In few days, I will be travelling with my kid (minor) from US to India (Hyderabad).

My Kid is a US Citizen and will be travelling with the following documents from US to India.
(1) New US passport
(2) OCI Card

I just came to know from Indian embassy website that kids up to 20 years should get the OCI reissued every time they get the new US passport. I don't think I have sufficient time now to get the OCI reissued for my kid.

I want to check if anyone's kid has recently traveled with New US Passport and an OCI on the expired US Passport and had any issues in travelling to India.

Thanks
Sri_
I thought you get PIO card NOT OCI for your kids when you are a citizen of India. I'm confused....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute nosightofgc has a reputation beyond repute

In the past around 2006 they gave OCI for the kids of Indian Citizens too. But the rules are changed later.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
Sri_ is a jewel in the rough Sri_ is a jewel in the rough Sri_ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosightofgc View Post
My family went to India in December 2nd week with the same conditions for my son. No issues. Can you send the link where you read that OCI stamp has to be revalidated with a new passport?
Thanks for responding. Which city in India did they go through immigration check. I understand that you specified 'No Issues', but did they ask any questions related to OCI at immigration check in India.

Here is the info where it say OCI needs to be reissued everytime a new US passport is issued upto 20 years of age.

(1) Refer to Q-16 at http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQs-200709.pdf

(2) Key in the details (Choose OCI Re-Issue New Passport) at https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/guidelines and you will get the following details

An OCI holder should apply for re-issue of their OCI card if they are issued a new passport:

For re-issue of an OCI card on a new passport, the following guidelines apply:
For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

Thanks
Sri_

Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of

I do not know about OCI card on an expired passport.

But if you going to get any emergency PIO or VISA from Indian Embassy you would need to have original birth certificate.

Monday (today) is MLK day the embassy/consulate will be closed.

Without the right document - airline will not let your kid on the plane.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare

Hyderabad. I did not check to find the specified questions, but I was told that every thing is cool.

Quote:
Thanks for responding. Which city in India did they go through immigration check. I understand that you specified 'No Issues', but did they ask any questions related to OCI at immigration check in India.

Here is the info where it say OCI needs to be reissued everytime a new US passport is issued upto 20 years of age.

(1) Refer to Q-16 at http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/FAQs-200709.pdf

(2) Key in the details (Choose OCI Re-Issue New Passport) at https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/guidelines and you will get the following details

An OCI holder should apply for re-issue of their OCI card if they are issued a new passport:

For re-issue of an OCI card on a new passport, the following guidelines apply:
For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

Thanks
Sri_

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/14/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
sanojkumar is on a distinguished road
Wink Kid travel to India on OLD Passport & new Passport

Hello,
I had gone to India in May 2011 to Delhi and my kid was exactly in same situation as yours. No problem occurred. I was also thinking in the same way as you. But I thought to take risk. I don't think it is mandatory. If it will be mandatory then why they will stamp Lifetime visa on passport. They will stamp visa for the validity period of passport. So that candidate will be forced to re-stamp it after renewal of the passport. Go on and please update once you will come back. But you never know the Indian government Babu's. They are the worst in formulating policies and following it.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosightofgc View Post
Hyderabad. I did not check to find the specified questions, but I was told that every thing is cool.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Update to Original Post ...

I traveled with my Kid to India (Hyd) without any issues. I carried my Kid's Old US Passport (having OCI Stamp) + OCI Card + New US Passport. Immigration officer verified all the three documents without any questions.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Sri_

Quote:

(1) New US passport
(2) OCI Card

Thanks
Sri_

Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Update to Original Post ...

I traveled with my Kid to India (Hyd) without any issues. I carried my Kid's Old US Passport (having OCI Stamp) + OCI Card + New US Passport. Immigration officer verified all the three documents without any questions.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Sri_
Sri_,
Good to know that and thanks for sharing your experience.
For your information, recently we are able to renew the OCI for our kid. It took approximately one month and it was trouble free even though we are Indian citizens. This was an issue dealing with Chicago consulate last year but soon after they outsourced the OCI process, renewal is no longer an issue.

For those concerned about why GOI issued OCI in the first place: they allowed it during the first 6 months and later started denying OCIs for kids whose parents are Indian citizens. They did not allow renewals either (although some approvals came in randomly), until they outsourced the OCI process.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute rkg000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default wht about PIO card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_A View Post
Sri_,
Good to know that and thanks for sharing your experience.
For your information, recently we are able to renew the OCI for our kid. It took approximately one month and it was trouble free even though we are Indian citizens. This was an issue dealing with Chicago consulate last year but soon after they outsourced the OCI process, renewal is no longer an issue.

For those concerned about why GOI issued OCI in the first place: they allowed it during the first 6 months and later started denying OCIs for kids whose parents are Indian citizens. They did not allow renewals either (although some approvals came in randomly), until they outsourced the OCI process.
Can't discount the real experience people have gone through regarding this, but Indian consulate (through Travisa website) says that the OCI or PIO has to be endorsed with new Passport. Which i think should not be necessary. Just like if we have US visa on old passport, it still works, just that old and new passports are stapled together.

I called up local Travisa office to confirm this requirement, and they said we needed to. I have some time before travel, so I am considering going through with the process of endorsing PIO card with new passport (number). I'll update the thread on timelines.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2005
Compare
Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future Green_Always has a brilliant future

Quote:

(1) New US passport
(2) OCI Card

Thanks
Sri_

I am in same situation plan to travel in may ( I have some time -- yet to get new US passport for kid ) thing is my Kid has Valid Indian visa in expired US passport.

I think we should be good right ? let me know your views..

Thanks.

PD - EB3 - Oct 2001
485 - RD 06/2005
1st FP - 07/13/2005
1st SR - 08/04/2006 - Shame Background check pending responce
Transfer to V to T on 03/15/07
2nd FP - 05/08/07
2nd SR - 06/28/2007 - Shame Background check pending responce
FBI NC Cleared - 10/09/2007

Waiting for 485 AD - <no ideia what date to put in here>

I was left out when my PD was current all the times.

Finally 485 Approved on -- 05/10/2008

==========================