Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recent Experiences on AP/EAD Combo Card at POE(Newark NJ)

Hello,
I will be returning via Newark (NJ) soon. I have an EAD/AP combo card. Please share recent experiences at POE.
What documents are required besides the EAD/AP card and Passport?
What are the general questions asked?

Thanks in advance
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute gaz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsharda View Post
Hello,
I will be returning via Newark (NJ) soon. I have an EAD/AP combo card. Please share recent experiences at POE.

Thanks in advance
My wife and i returned in mid Dec. through EWR.
Wife is working on EAD, I'm on H1B but both entered on AP. IO asked my wife what her status was and if she was using her H4 (she was previously on H4) - she answered no - she was on EAD and would like to enter on her AP. IO said good answer. My turn - asked me for my employer name and nothing else. We were then sent downstairs for secondary processing - took about 15 mins - there were two other families waiting there. No questions asked of either of us - all IOs were very professional and courteous. Only documents we carried were passports, combo EAD/AP cards, 765s (EAD/AP/H1B). Not saying thats all you should carry though - others on the forum may be able to advise better on that - we did have ALL documents available scanned online - but not sure if we would have been allowed to access that had they asked us for those docs.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute snsharda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks gaz

Thanks gaz for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
My wife and i returned in mid Dec. through EWR.
Wife is working on EAD, I'm on H1B but both entered on AP. IO asked my wife what her status was and if she was using her H4 (she was previously on H4) - she answered no - she was on EAD and would like to enter on her AP. IO said good answer. My turn - asked me for my employer name and nothing else. We were then sent downstairs for secondary processing - took about 15 mins - there were two other families waiting there. No questions asked of either of us - all IOs were very professional and courteous. Only documents we carried were passports, combo EAD/AP cards, 765s (EAD/AP/H1B). Not saying thats all you should carry though - others on the forum may be able to advise better on that - we did have ALL documents available scanned online - but not sure if we would have been allowed to access that had they asked us for those docs.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Easy

At JFK, last week, i was told to go to the citizens line. They took passport, combo card. Took fingerprint and led me to the standard verification room. Out in 5. First time i was waiting for my bags n not the other way round

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks chakdepatte

Thanks chakdepatte for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakdepatte View Post
At JFK, last week, i was told to go to the citizens line. They took passport, combo card. Took fingerprint and led me to the standard verification room. Out in 5. First time i was waiting for my bags n not the other way round

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
itkris is on a distinguished road
Default "Visa" line or citizen/GC line?

I went through the visitor line, same process. ZERO questions. In and out in 15 not 5 but no issues whatsoever. Only provided passport and EAD card, no other document. The guy at the visa counter did fingerprints and photo, dropped me off at the other office and we waited 15 or so minutes there.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks itkris

Thanks itkris for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itkris View Post
I went through the visitor line, same process. ZERO questions. In and out in 15 not 5 but no issues whatsoever. Only provided passport and EAD card, no other document. The guy at the visa counter did fingerprints and photo, dropped me off at the other office and we waited 15 or so minutes there.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute TO BE OR NO TO BE has a reputation beyond repute
Default It was simple for us too

We entered at JFK last month and we didn't have any issues either.

The process was not difficult, the primary IO took me for secondary and the secondary looked into computer (God knows what he was looking) but he returned my passport and AP papers with a big smile and told me to stay out of trouble like I have always been.

For my wife it was simple as she went into Citizen's line with my Son (US born citizen). She had to go through secondary too.

Only unpleasing experience was the waiting was too long as it was Sunday and many flights arrived on terminal 4 between 12 PM to 4 PM, resulting in a lot of people waiting.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default That was helpful

Thanks for your response, TO BE OR NO TO BE

Based on all the responses so far, it looks like Passport and Combo Card is the general documentation requirements. Thanks to everyone again for all the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO BE OR NO TO BE View Post
We entered at JFK last month and we didn't have any issues either.

The process was not difficult, the primary IO took me for secondary and the secondary looked into computer (God knows what he was looking) but he returned my passport and AP papers with a big smile and told me to stay out of trouble like I have always been.

For my wife it was simple as she went into Citizen's line with my Son (US born citizen). She had to go through secondary too.

Only unpleasing experience was the waiting was too long as it was Sunday and many flights arrived on terminal 4 between 12 PM to 4 PM, resulting in a lot of people waiting.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold istrategist is a splendid one to behold
Default Easy

Returned mid-august 2012. Smooth process like others described. They only looked at my passport and combo card

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsharda View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks

Thanks istrategist for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istrategist View Post
Returned mid-august 2012. Smooth process like others described. They only looked at my passport and combo card

Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of BZA has much to be proud of
Default Came last week to JFK. No issues.

I came to JFK last week and there were no issues. I gave only passport and EAD and no questions asked. 2nd inspection took 5 min only.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks BZA

Thanks BZA for your response
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZA View Post
I came to JFK last week and there were no issues. I gave only passport and EAD and no questions asked. 2nd inspection took 5 min only.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AcuraTSX is on a distinguished road

I agree. Came via JFK last month. Presented the combo card at POE. The officer asked about our trip and took our pictures and fingerprints. He asked us to proceed to secondary inspection. We were made to sit and after 10 minutes we were told that everything was OK and handed back our passports, combo card.
FYI.. I have been using AP for the past 4 years and never was subject to harsh questioning.
The key here is to maintain our composure. Hand over only the required documents, answer to their questions directly. The POE officers have an array of tools to find out about our status and other details.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks AcuraTSX

Thanks AcuraTSX for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraTSX View Post
I agree. Came via JFK last month. Presented the combo card at POE. The officer asked about our trip and took our pictures and fingerprints. He asked us to proceed to secondary inspection. We were made to sit and after 10 minutes we were told that everything was OK and handed back our passports, combo card.
FYI.. I have been using AP for the past 4 years and never was subject to harsh questioning.
The key here is to maintain our composure. Hand over only the required documents, answer to their questions directly. The POE officers have an array of tools to find out about our status and other details.