Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
HKhosla is on a distinguished road
Default Travel to USA after 11 month stay in India

Myself and my son (4yr old US Citizen) have been staying in India since August'1'2013. (to take care of health issues in family)
I was on pending I-485 status when I traveled to India and my current Advance Parole is valid till May'21'2014.
My greencard got approved on Sept'10'2013 while I was in India. Hubby is in USA and he brought the card when he visited India few months back.

I am planning to return to USA on June'5th'2014.

Please let me know if I should return before my current advance parole expires (i.e. May'21)
or can I use my greencard and return on June'5th'2014?

Thanks in advance for help.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the physical green card, then you must use that to travel and re-enter the US. You don't need to use the APh
I140 approval Oct 2006
I485 filed Jul 2 07
I485 approved on Jul 25 2011
Received green cards on Jul 28 2011

Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
HKhosla is on a distinguished road

Thanks @ramaonline.
Would it be a problem to return after 11 months of stay outside usa when using greencard to reenter usa?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute

Green Card requires you to maintain residence in the US by living /working in the US. Staying outside the country for long durations has a risk of abandonment of permanent residence.

There is no definite guideline for a stay of less than one year but if you can provide convincing reasons for the long stay outside the US then you should not have problems in re-entry

Check this link for general rules on maintaining permanent residence:

Maintaining Permanent Residence | USCIS
I140 approval Oct 2006
I485 filed Jul 2 07
I485 approved on Jul 25 2011
Received green cards on Jul 28 2011

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKhosla View Post
Thanks @ramaonline.
Would it be a problem to return after 11 months of stay outside usa when using greencard to reenter usa?
If you have strong reason to stay in India, you can provide that reason. There is no rule of thumb here.