Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Chargeability
:
Brunei
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare
manbeing is on a distinguished road
Default Does my wife have a valid H4 status now?

I am in H1b status and also have filed I-485. My wife is my dependent (H4). Both of us have EAD and AP.

My wife became H4 status in 2012.
She have started using EAD to work since 2013.
She used advanced parole document to come back to the states after vacation in the end of 2013

I am going to extend my H1b and her H4 soon, but just confused about whether she still holds a valid H4 status now since she has used AP to enter the border in 2013? I never used AP or EAD, so my H1B is definitely valid
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeing View Post
I am in H1b status and also have filed I-485. My wife is my dependent (H4). Both of us have EAD and AP.

She used advanced parole document to come back to the states after vacation in the end of 2013

I am going to extend my H1b and her H4 soon, but just confused about whether she still holds a valid H4 status now since she has used AP to enter the border in 2013? I never used AP or EAD, so my H1B is definitely valid
No

Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeing View Post

When you have EAD why do you want H1 again? If you come back on H1, she has to go back on H4. Even if she used AP, once you get your H1, you have to apply for her H4.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not really....

...so, let me explain...

According to the current laws, both you and your spouse can actually use your respective AP's to come back to the country after travelling abroad, and as long as you continue to work for the same company that did your H1, you will continue to be in H1 (even if you used AP), and your I-485 dependent will continue to be your dependent and use EAD to work.

This has an added benefit that you only have to renew your H1 every 3 years from here, and even if the actual H1 VISA stamp is expired on your passport, you don't have to get a new one in the US consulate at your home country - as you will be using AP to enter back and not H1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
When you have EAD why do you want H1 again? If you come back on H1, she has to go back on H4. Even if she used AP, once you get your H1, you have to apply for her H4.