Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time it takes the receive the AP document on Hand?

Hello,

My case is unique. We applied for our AP(for both myself and my spouse) through our Attorney on October 21st and the online case status for our AP petitions changed to,
"Document Production or Oath Ceremony" on November 16th.

Our case notes also said,

"On November 16, 2009 we mailed the document to the address we have on file. You should receive the new document within 30 days. If you do not, or if you move before you get it, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283".

It has been 12 Postal business days since the document was mailed out and our Attorney is yet to receive it.

Today I called up USCIS customer service enquiring about my petition. I was told by the CSR that, the "Document Production" doesn't necessarily mean that the document was sent out. It merely means that the Petition was approved and they have moved on to the next step of "Producing" / "Printing" the actual document and once it is produced/printed, it would be mailed out. She also asked me to call them back, 30 days after November 16th, if I still didn't receive the documents.

Whatever the CSR said, contradicts the case notes which clearly says, the Document was mailed out.

Any advises on what I should do?

I have an upcoming Travel by last week of December and I would really like to have my AP document on hand before I exit out of the the country.

Any clues or advises would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
ss777 has a spectacular aura about ss777 has a spectacular aura about

It sometimes take longer than few days. During my years of getting AP's every year there are times I had my AP in hand within 3 days to almost 20 days. I am confident you will get your AP document much before the end of the month. Good luck with your travel plans.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute stirfries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss777 View Post
It sometimes take longer than few days. During my years of getting AP's every year there are times I had my AP in hand within 3 days to almost 20 days. I am confident you will get your AP document much before the end of the month. Good luck with your travel plans.
Thanks SS777 !!!

I am optimistic as well !!! I am just hoping that I receive the documents by end of this week !

But at the same time, I wouldn't want to sit idle, just hoping !!!

I am going to try whatever options that might be available, to speed up the document receipt, if it is possible !!!

Probably, I can set up an appointment with InfoPass, sometime next week, and see what they have to say about this...

The scary part is, I have read several posts by other users who had reported the loss of document once it has been mailed out by USCIS. I hope I do not fall into that category and I want to be aware of the next course of action, if indeed, I fall into that category.

Cancelling my Tickets is the last option that I have in my mind !!!

The things that we have to go through to get a GC !!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default The AP is mailed

via regular mail. There is no tracking available. If it is lost, it is lost. That is what I hate about both the EAD and AP process.

In my experience, the AP has been received anywhere from 4 days to 7 days after "the document has been mailed" notice.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsal View Post
via regular mail. There is no tracking available. If it is lost, it is lost. That is what I hate about both the EAD and AP process.

In my experience, the AP has been received anywhere from 4 days to 7 days after "the document has been mailed" notice.
4 days - 7 days after "document has been mailed" update?

Sounds discouraging BUT from my experience and from my RESEARCH on this forum, I also think that, 4 - 7 days is the normal receipt time. In my case, unfortunately, its been 12 days already.

But, SS777 states, he has experienced anywhere from 3 - 20 days. I will take that.

Can others please chime in with their experience in terms of how many days they had to wait once they noticed their case status was changed to, "Document has been mailed"?

Your response much appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
supu is infamous around these parts supu is infamous around these parts

Same case with me. Its been 20 days in Texas Center.
Actually when i call 3 Agents say its been posted , 1 says , The documnet was never produced.
The postal office does not loose AP. Its USCIS people who dont send them , but just chage the status.........

I have no hope of receing it now.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar issue six months ago.

I booked the tickets after seeing the approval notice online hoping that the documents will reach me in about a 3-4 days. It took more than 8 days by regular mail and I have to cancel my travel plans.

Since the documents are mailed already, they won't allow to take an Infopass to go to the local service center. USCIS said that I have to wait until 30 days to raise a request.

Hope you get the documents on time.

Last edited by newuser; 12-02-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
Default Good News !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirfries View Post
Thanks SS777 !!!

I am optimistic as well !!! I am just hoping that I receive the documents by end of this week !

But at the same time, I wouldn't want to sit idle, just hoping !!!

I am going to try whatever options that might be available, to speed up the document receipt, if it is possible !!!

Probably, I can set up an appointment with InfoPass, sometime next week, and see what they have to say about this...

The scary part is, I have read several posts by other users who had reported the loss of document once it has been mailed out by USCIS. I hope I do not fall into that category and I want to be aware of the next course of action, if indeed, I fall into that category.

Cancelling my Tickets is the last option that I have in my mind !!!

The things that we have to go through to get a GC !!!!
My attorney finally received the AP documents on hand, 16 days after the online status had changed to "Document Production or Oath Ceremony".

At least, now I don't have to think about postponing my Tickets !!!

Hope it works out for all you folks !!!

Good Luck !!!

Thanks,

Old 01-29-2010, 04:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nrakkati is a glorious beacon of light nrakkati is a glorious beacon of light nrakkati is a glorious beacon of light nrakkati is a glorious beacon of light nrakkati is a glorious beacon of light
Default Approved, but not in my hand

My AP is approved on 27th, but I did not receive it so far. I already booked my tickets and have only one day left for my travel.

Would it be safe to travel now? Are there any risks involved in doing so?

Please advice.

Thank you

Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
Default Its a gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrakkati View Post
My AP is approved on 27th, but I did not receive it so far. I already booked my tickets and have only one day left for my travel.

Would it be safe to travel now? Are there any risks involved in doing so?

Please advice.

Thank you
Hey nrakkati !!!

congrats on your AP approval. I was in the same boat as you are now, a while back...Your situation is very dicey...You can travel now provided someone can mail you the approved AP when they receive the AP at the specified address...The only risk is, if it gets lost in the MAIL, YOU ARE SCREWED !!! USCIS, as a matter of policy, will not reissue a lost AP and would require you to start the AP process from the scratch...

Ofcourse there are alternatives when you get SCREWED that way...

If you already made the trip assuming that you would get the AP on hand and if the AP is lost in mail, You can go to the US Embassy in the country that you are visiting,( not US Consulate) and show them the proof of the AP approval and request temporary pass to return back to US...More details on this can be found on researching this forum...

Thanks,