Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2004
Compare
nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by micofrost
Guys , please read the form 131. And then judge for yourself.
I am putting a prt of it from 131 form.

"Advance parole is an extraordinary measure used sparinglyto bring an otherwise inadmissible alien to the UnitedStates for a temporary period of time due to a compellingemergency. Advance parole cannot be used to circumventthe normal visa issuing procedures and is not a means tobypass delays in visa issuance.
NOTE: If you are in the United States and wish to travelabroad, you do not need to apply for advance parole if both conditions described below in numbers 1 and 2 are met:
A. You are in one of the following nonimmigrantcategories:
1. An H-1, temporary worker, or H-4, spouse or childof an H-1; or
2. An L-1, intracompany transferee, or L-2, spouse orchild of an L-1; or
3. A K-3, spouse, or K-4, child of a U.S. citizen; or
4. A V-2, spouse, or V-3, child of a lawful permanentresident; and
B. A Form I-485, Application to Register PermanentResidence or Adjust Status, was filed on your behalfand is pending with the USCIS.
However, upon returning to the United States, youmust present your valid H, L, K or V nonimmigrantvisa and continue to remain eligible for that status."
I do not see the above mentioned information in I-131 form. Can you download the current PDF from the following link and point to me from where exactly you find the above information?

www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131.pdf

All I can see now is the following in Part 2 of the application:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2 - Application type (Check one).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
a.

b.

c.

d. __ I am applying for an advance parole document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No where in this document it is mentioned regarding whether you still hold your H1 / H4 or not.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2004
Compare
nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcres
Thanks subbu. So if my spouse who is a derivative on my 485 (but has H1 of his own) uses AP to reenter, he does not have to use EAD to work for his non-profit H1 employer? And i can also work on my H1 even if he uses AP. Did i interpret this the right way?
I think so. In my case my wife she was in H4 at that time, so I had no issues. You may need to consult with an attorney regarding his H1 though he is derivative in your I-485. [That too for non-profit].

Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mayflower_IL is on a distinguished road
Default using AP and H1 B status

Hi nlssubbu,

can you please tell us what would be the process of H1B extension after re entering into the US on AP.

If you reenter on AP, your status should be Parolee right?
Will they give new I 94 form at the POE?

Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by micofrost
Guys , please read the form 131. And then judge for yourself.
I am putting a prt of it from 131 form.

"Advance parole is an extraordinary measure used sparinglyto bring an otherwise inadmissible alien to the UnitedStates for a temporary period of time due to a compellingemergency. Advance parole cannot be used to circumventthe normal visa issuing procedures and is not a means tobypass delays in visa issuance.
NOTE: If you are in the United States and wish to travelabroad, you do not need to apply for advance parole if both conditions described below in numbers 1 and 2 are met:
A. You are in one of the following nonimmigrantcategories:
1. An H-1, temporary worker, or H-4, spouse or childof an H-1; or
2. An L-1, intracompany transferee, or L-2, spouse orchild of an L-1; or
3. A K-3, spouse, or K-4, child of a U.S. citizen; or
4. A V-2, spouse, or V-3, child of a lawful permanentresident; and
B. A Form I-485, Application to Register PermanentResidence or Adjust Status, was filed on your behalfand is pending with the USCIS.
However, upon returning to the United States, youmust present your valid H, L, K or V nonimmigrantvisa and continue to remain eligible for that status."
The form also says that AP will be approved for the following reasons:
You may apply if you have an adjustment of status application pending and you seek to travel abroad for emergent personal or bona fide business reasons; or
Being stuck in the AOS process for a few years (and deciding to switch to EAD from H1 during that time) is reason enough to be granted an AP. Also, I have not heard of anyone (atleast EB based 485 cases) whose AP has been rejected or anyone who has an AP is not allowed into the US.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbaid is on a distinguished road
Default 485 filed -but now retrogressed - can I get a 3-yr extn for H1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlssubbu View Post
I think so. In my case my wife she was in H4 at that time, so I had no issues. You may need to consult with an attorney regarding his H1 though he is derivative in your I-485. [That too for non-profit].

Thanks
Guys,
My i485 was filed in July, but my priority date is 02/07 - so I am now back to retrogressed. I am in my 8th year, and my HR tells me that because 485 is now filed, I can only get a 1-yr H1b extension.
However, because my 140 is approved, and I am retrogressed, I believe I should get a 3-yr extension.

Has anyone been through this situation? Am I eligible for 3 years?

Thanks in advance for all your responses

Old 08-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cheg will become famous soon enough
Default You should get 3 years

Since your PD is not current, you are eligible for a 3 year extension. So far though, I've read in some threads that even if some people are eligible for 3 years, they are only getting approved for 1 year. It really depends on the officer approving your case. If you ask me, USCIS is unfair for not following rules and just deciding on what they think is best. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaid View Post
Guys,
My i485 was filed in July, but my priority date is 02/07 - so I am now back to retrogressed. I am in my 8th year, and my HR tells me that because 485 is now filed, I can only get a 1-yr H1b extension.
However, because my 140 is approved, and I am retrogressed, I believe I should get a 3-yr extension.

Has anyone been through this situation? Am I eligible for 3 years?

Thanks in advance for all your responses
I-485/I-765/I-131: Received by R. Williams on July 6 @ 9:18 am
I-485/I-765/I-131: Receipt Notice on Sept. 12, 2007
EAD Status: Approved on 09/21/07
Primary Applicant: EAD card received on 09/25/07
Spouse (me): EAD card received on 09/28/07
AP Status for Primary and Spouse: Approved on 10/22/07
Fingerprinting Schedule: 10/12/07 - Done

Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute

Parolees is different than EAD. Even if you enter USA using your AP it doesn't nullify your H1/H4. You can still continue your H1/H4 status. This is the information I have got from my lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheg View Post
Let's say you want to take a vacation and leave the US, then when you re-enter the US, you're using your AP...You would be readmitted to the United States as Parolees to continue your adjustment of status applications.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cheg will become famous soon enough
Default Suva

Parolee is definitely different from using EAD. Yes, my lawyer said that one can retain H1 if you have a H1 stamp or revalidation after using your AP entering the US. Now if you don't have this H1 stamp or revalidation then that's when you'll be forced to use EAD and invalidate your H1 status. Applying for both AP and EAD is advisable so at least one has the EAD for back-up just in case something happens to H1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suva View Post
Parolees is different than EAD. Even if you enter USA using your AP it doesn't nullify your H1/H4. You can still continue your H1/H4 status. This is the information I have got from my lawyer.
I-485/I-765/I-131: Received by R. Williams on July 6 @ 9:18 am
I-485/I-765/I-131: Receipt Notice on Sept. 12, 2007
EAD Status: Approved on 09/21/07
Primary Applicant: EAD card received on 09/25/07
Spouse (me): EAD card received on 09/28/07
AP Status for Primary and Spouse: Approved on 10/22/07
Fingerprinting Schedule: 10/12/07 - Done

Last edited by cheg; 08-19-2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: rephrasing

Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2007
Compare
gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute gimme_GC2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheg View Post
Parolee is definitely different from using EAD. Yes, my lawyer said that one can retain H1 if you have a H1 stamp or revalidation after using your AP entering the US. Now if you don't have this H1 stamp or revalidation then that's when you'll be forced to use EAD and invalidate your H1 status. Applying for both AP and EAD is advisable so at least one has the EAD for back-up just in case something happens to H1.
I dont understand, sorry.

If I have H1 stamp, why in the first place I will use AP?
Am I missing anything?

485 Approved 08/18/2010

Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2004
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflower_IL View Post
Hi nlssubbu,

can you please tell us what would be the process of H1B extension after re entering into the US on AP.

If you reenter on AP, your status should be Parolee right?
Will they give new I 94 form at the POE?

Thanks in advance.
H1b/H4 extension is renewal process is same as before and there is no change in the procedure.

Yes. If you reenter on AP, your status on I-94 will be Parolee and you will get a new I-94 stamped. In our case, we got the I-94 valid for an year from the date of entry. (Not based on validity stated on the AP document and do not know why?)

Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2004
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme_GC2006 View Post
I dont understand, sorry.

If I have H1 stamp, why in the first place I will use AP?
Am I missing anything?
1. You may have a valid H1B/H4 stamping in your passport and you may enter using this.

2. If you do not have a valid H1b/H4 stamping, but have a valid H1B/H4, you may need to get an appointment with your respective embassy to get it restamped. Using AP does will eliminate the process of appointment and valid stamping needed in your passport.

3. Using AP can also eliminate the bulk of paper work needed to be carried along with the H1B. [H1B/H4 Papers, Employment letter, Pay slips, etc]

AP is used just for convenience

Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 AM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AndrewsNaranjo is on a distinguished road
Post Ead

Good day! I would like to know why children are given EAD status? What are the benefits of having an EAD for children?