Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
USDream2Dust will become famous soon enough
Exclamation AP Experience on Feb 22nd

Hi Folks,

I would like to share my AP experience with you all. My situation first.

H1B expired on passport and renewed but not stamped.

Port of departure melbourne/australia
Port of entry LA
Had a connecting flight to JFK.

Showed my AP to Immigration Officer and he walks me down to office and says this is normal procedure everytime you use AP.

My Wife travelling with me has valid H1 stamp and clears immigration in 2 mins.

My connecting flight to JFK is delayed 30 mins because of me. (Very nice of Quantas to wait for me).

My process in office about 20 mins and then back to another immigration officer for another 15 mins.

Questions.
Do you still work for your sponsor employer?
Me . YES
What do you do?
ME. Programmer.
Do you use C language?
ME. DOT NET (My guess here is he had some questions for C Programmers)
ME. Do I need I94 to be filled out?( Stupid of me as it delayed me another 5 mins)
Officer : Yes fill it out here

No paystubs or no other documents checked. He checked my 485 status in system and said ok.

Also he asked about my wife and when I said she used her visa he was furious. He says that AP is on top of any visa and if you have AP you have to use AP. Not sure about this but this were his statements and they never even called my wife back as she was just 10 feet away from me waiting for my mess to get over .

Overall timeconsuming but better than visa stamping. I had no choice as I was going on vacation to australia and didn't want to ruin it for visa stamping. Just make sure that you don't have connecting flights for 2 hours atleast otherwise you can be in deep disturbing state like me.

let me know if you have questions.
USDREAM2DUST
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDream2Dust View Post
Hi Folks,

I would like to share my AP experience with you all. My situation first.

H1B expired on passport and renewed but not stamped.

Port of departure melbourne/australia
Port of entry LA
Had a connecting flight to JFK.

Showed my AP to Immigration Officer and he walks me down to office and says this is normal procedure everytime you use AP.

My Wife travelling with me has valid H1 stamp and clears immigration in 2 mins.

My connecting flight to JFK is delayed 30 mins because of me. (Very nice of Quantas to wait for me).

My process in office about 20 mins and then back to another immigration officer for another 15 mins.

Questions.
Do you still work for your sponsor employer?
Me . YES
What do you do?
ME. Programmer.
Do you use C language?
ME. DOT NET (My guess here is he had some questions for C Programmers)
ME. Do I need I94 to be filled out?( Stupid of me as it delayed me another 5 mins)
Officer : Yes fill it out here

No paystubs or no other documents checked. He checked my 485 status in system and said ok.

Also he asked about my wife and when I said she used her visa he was furious. He says that AP is on top of any visa and if you have AP you have to use AP. Not sure about this but this were his statements and they never even called my wife back as she was just 10 feet away from me waiting for my mess to get over .

Overall timeconsuming but better than visa stamping. I had no choice as I was going on vacation to australia and didn't want to ruin it for visa stamping. Just make sure that you don't have connecting flights for 2 hours atleast otherwise you can be in deep disturbing state like me.

let me know if you have questions.
USDREAM2DUST
Are you australian citizen??

Old 02-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Thumbs down Indian :)

Nope. Indian passport. Australian citizens don't need visa and they can travel to US without filling out white I94. Something I learned in this trip.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

Only if they are on a short trip like vacation. If they are on H1 or AP they too have to go through the same procedure (and have a visa stamp if on H1).

Canadian pasport holders however do not need a visa stamp as long as the have a valid I-94 (H1B approval/extension notice).

Quote:
Nope. Indian passport. Australian citizens don't need visa and they can travel to US without filling out white I94. Something I learned in this trip.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts

Quote:
How much did it cost you for a vacation in australia, including flights?. Just curious. thanks

what were you planning to tell him about your reason for visiting australia?. I heard using AP for vacations was frowned upon?.

Last edited by p_kumar; 02-25-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Thumbs up 7000$ per person

21 days. You can go cheaper if you book from India. My thing is if I go to India I go Nowhere but India .

Australians on vacation don't need visa just like above post.
I had no idea about using AP for vacation was bad . They never asked me. Also once my AP is stamped I am good for multiple entries for 1 year and they said it won't take such a long procedure next time.

Sad part is AP is only valid for 1 year and I can't have more than 1 vacation in an year .

Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts Munna Bhai is infamous around these parts
Default Is it $7000 or $700 per person??

Quote:
21 days. You can go cheaper if you book from India. My thing is if I go to India I go Nowhere but India .

Australians on vacation don't need visa just like above post.
I had no idea about using AP for vacation was bad . They never asked me. Also once my AP is stamped I am good for multiple entries for 1 year and they said it won't take such a long procedure next time.

Sad part is AP is only valid for 1 year and I can't have more than 1 vacation in an year .

Is it $7000 or $700 per person?? see the subject of your post!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Cool Dude 7000$

You hear me right. 7k Per person. The question was bout total expense and I think I spend close to 16k between me and my wife. But 2k was extra and unnecessary. so 7k would be right.

What do you think 700USD buys you?? Roundtrip from from LAX to JFK Also it depends on how much you do in australia. if you go and stay at one place you may end up 4-5k per person.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default ok

Quote:
You hear me right. 7k Per person. The question was bout total expense and I think I spend close to 16k between me and my wife. But 2k was extra and unnecessary. so 7k would be right.

What do you think 700USD buys you?? Roundtrip from from LAX to JFK Also it depends on how much you do in australia. if you go and stay at one place you may end up 4-5k per person.
Ok..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

Yes, especially since you were there for 3 weeks. I think the flight alone would cost close 1500 each, if not more.

Quote:

Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tomatocup is on a distinguished road
Default Expiration date on your new I-94

Is the expiration date on I-94 same as AP or your renewed H-1B? Thanks,

Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Question Would Check

Good question. I would check and let you know. I was so much disturbed by waiting airline and immigration delays and then I was also screwed up in security as airline officials were trying to trespass me quickly. And this is all after 16 hours of nonstop flight from mel to LAX. Didn't even open anything and still drooling in sweet memories of trip

Last edited by USDream2Dust; 02-25-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Question I don't think so

Quote:
Good question. I would check and let you know. I was so much disturbed by waiting airline and immigration delays and then I was also screwed up in security as airline officials were trying to trespass me quickly. Didn't even open anything and still drooling in sweet memories of trip
Sorry for replying to my self but I think they would not give me anything with my H1 as they never even looked at my H1. Good chances that they gave me 1 year from day when I entered. Would check and confirm

Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Exclamation 1 Year from date of entry?

What does this mean? What steps I have to do if I don't go out of country? Is it ok if my I94 is expired on passport? All they did was added 2009 from the date of entry on valid until area of I94

Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Thumbs down Bump^^^^^

Guys, Never in my immigration life I have faced this scenario. I always had I94 valid until dates or I renewed visa's. Any Suggestions?

Quote:
What does this mean? What steps I have to do if I don't go out of country? Is it ok if my I94 is expired on passport? All they did was added 2009 from the date of entry on valid until area of I94