Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gita_magani is on a distinguished road
Default FINRA Exam for H4 Holder

Hi,

I am a H1-B holder who received I-140 approval recently. My Priority Date is sometime in 2008.

I have a question regarding my husband who has H4 Visa.

He is a MBA (Finance) guy working as manager in India for Stock Brokerage Company.

I heard that Financial companies in US are asking for Series 7 exams. But for him to write those exams the companies should sponsor and for that he needs to have SSN.

As I understand dependents are not issued SSNs lately. I was wondering if I can apply for a ITIN (Individual Tax ID Number) for him, so he can appear for the exams and also get his Drivers' License.

Also I would like to know what job opportunities he can have if he wants to settle down in US.

It would take me a while to get EAD, so he can get a work permit. Is it advisable to apply for H1 for him ? as I heard the H1 quota is still available. I do not know as to what visa category is better for him.

Thank you so much,
Gita
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2006
Chargeability
:
Albania
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/20/2007
Compare
gman is on a distinguished road

My wife is in similar situation. (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...on-status.html (FINRA Exam and Immigration Status))

Have you filed for I-485? What about him? If so you could apply for EAD and that would allow your husband to work, thus being able to be sponsored for FINRA exams.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
My wife is in similar situation. (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...on-status.html (FINRA Exam and Immigration Status))

Have you filed for I-485? What about him? If so you could apply for EAD and that would allow your husband to work, thus being able to be sponsored for FINRA exams.
Thank you so much gman for your reply.

I haven't filed for I-485 yet. I received my I-140 in June 2009.

When I spoke with my Lawyer they said they can't file for I-485 unless the dates become Current. My Priority Date is July 28,2008.

I checked the EB2 Priority Date for INDIA is 08JAN05 according to Visa Bulletin September 2009

I remember for EB3 sometime end of last year, all priority dates became current and many of my friends were lucky enough to get their EADs. I am hoping something like that happens this year .

My husband is in India right now continuing his Current Job. Lawyer said he can fly to US whenever dates become Current, within a week he has to be here, but he can't go back as the process will take a while to get his EAD.

Even if he comes here before applying for EAD, I heard sponsorers are asking for SSN to be sponsored for FINRA exams. We are in a dilemma as to what would the next step be. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gita

Old 08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute acecupid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gita_magani View Post
Thank you so much gman for your reply.

I haven't filed for I-485 yet. I received my I-140 in June 2009.

When I spoke with my Lawyer they said they can't file for I-485 unless the dates become Current. My Priority Date is July 28,2008.

I checked the EB2 Priority Date for INDIA is 08JAN05 according to Visa Bulletin September 2009

I remember for EB3 sometime end of last year, all priority dates became current and many of my friends were lucky enough to get their EADs. I am hoping something like that happens this year .

My husband is in India right now continuing his Current Job. Lawyer said he can fly to US whenever dates become Current, within a week he has to be here, but he can't go back as the process will take a while to get his EAD.

Even if he comes here before applying for EAD, I heard sponsorers are asking for SSN to be sponsored for FINRA exams. We are in a dilemma as to what would the next step be. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gita
I dont know much about the FINRA exams, but I would say you are dreaming if you expect july 08 EB2 dates to get current this year. Dont keep waiting thinking dates will get current, look at other alternatives instead. My response might sound rude but thats the reality. I would suggest you try to get your husband here through H1B.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecupid View Post
I dont know much about the FINRA exams, but I would say you are dreaming if you expect july 08 EB2 dates to get current this year. Dont keep waiting thinking dates will get current, look at other alternatives instead. My response might sound rude but thats the reality. I would suggest you try to get your husband here through H1B.
I second that. EB3 PD becoming current or 2008 this year = Heights of optimism!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rick_rajvanshi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh1b View Post
I second that. EB3 PD becoming current or 2008 this year = Heights of optimism!
Even if he gets thru in FINRA Exams say using ITIN, he 'll still have to undergo a background check to get a dealer / broker license since such jobs involve handling sensitive customer data. This check itself will become an issue without SSN. Moreover, many of these FINRA Exams have to be sponsored by a company while only couple of them you can appear on your own. And no company will hire him without SSN or H1B. Big financial companies now have TARP ( No H1B ) restrictions and are not hiring H1Bs.

With PD of 2008 , you are in a very difficult situation and the wait to get EAD could stretch beyond imagination. Either he should come here on H1B of his own or should try F1 route ( H4 to F1 trfr ) and get into a school for 2 years ( min) and later enjoy 29 months of OPT. He'll be able to get SSN and work as well.

Driving License should be less of an issue depending on the state. Go to your state DMV and check requirements.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_rajvanshi View Post
Even if he gets thru in FINRA Exams say using ITIN, he 'll still have to undergo a background check to get a dealer / broker license since such jobs involve handling sensitive customer data. This check itself will become an issue without SSN. Moreover, many of these FINRA Exams have to be sponsored by a company while only couple of them you can appear on your own. And no company will hire him without SSN or H1B. Big financial companies now have TARP ( No H1B ) restrictions and are not hiring H1Bs.

With PD of 2008 , you are in a very difficult situation and the wait to get EAD could stretch beyond imagination. Either he should come here on H1B of his own or should try F1 route ( H4 to F1 trfr ) and get into a school for 2 years ( min) and later enjoy 29 months of OPT. He'll be able to get SSN and work as well.

Driving License should be less of an issue depending on the state. Go to your state DMV and check requirements.
I am a Software Professional on H-1B. I am not sure what work visa we can apply for a MBA Finance Professional. H-1B ?

I am sure he doesn't want to come on F1, as he already has an MBA degree. Not willing to study without working for 2 more years after been working for 8 years and that too when he is in a Manager position.

I am not sure what companies would sponsor him for work visa and how we could approach them.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Anu

Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Quote:
I am a Software Professional on H-1B. I am not sure what work visa we can apply for a MBA Finance Professional. H-1B ?

I am sure he doesn't want to come on F1, as he already has an MBA degree. Not willing to study without working for 2 more years after been working for 8 years and that too when he is in a Manager position.

I am not sure what companies would sponsor him for work visa and how we could approach them.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Anu

Work Visa for white collared professionals are H1B and L1. Both of these visas will need employer sponsorships similar to one you hold currently. If he is not willing to come for study, his choices are limited. He should come down here on H4, start looking for a job/employer and if finds one , should ask them to sponsor him. In this kind of economy when hundreds of MBAs have been rendered jobless on wall street , I am not very confident that his H1 with MBA qualification will get an approval from DOL. But he needs to start trying. Situation may ease out by the time something comes up.

L1 is entirely a different track. He should have been working in India with the same employer for atleast 1 year before he can even apply for a transfer as Multinational Executive at the same employer's US office. That I am sure is more difficult path.

I am not aware of any other solution.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Work Visa for white collared professionals are H1B and L1. Both of these visas will need employer sponsorships similar to one you hold currently. If he is not willing to come for study, his choices are limited. He should come down here on H4, start looking for a job/employer and if finds one , should ask them to sponsor him. In this kind of economy when hundreds of MBAs have been rendered jobless on wall street , I am not very confident that his H1 with MBA qualification will get an approval from DOL. But he needs to start trying. Situation may ease out by the time something comes up.

L1 is entirely a different track. He should have been working in India with the same employer for atleast 1 year before he can even apply for a transfer as Multinational Executive at the same employer's US office. That I am sure is more difficult path.

I am not aware of any other solution.
That is the thing as to how we can find Genuine H-1B sponsors ? And how many are willing to sponsor these days ?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Quote:
That is the thing as to how we can find Genuine H-1B sponsors ? And how many are willing to sponsor these days ?

OK - One tip I can give you - Mine previous years H1B data here :
FLCDataCenter.com

Now you 'll know all the companies who have sponsored H1Bs in past few years and at what base pay and qualifications. How you approach them is all upto you.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
OK - One tip I can give you - Mine previous years H1B data here :
FLCDataCenter.com

Now you 'll know all the companies who have sponsored H1Bs in past few years and at what base pay and qualifications. How you approach them is all upto you.
Thank you so much rick_rajvanshi for all the details.

I wasn't aware that database of all H1B providers is public. This will be so helpful for me.

Me and my husband are hoping that we would be able to find suitable one.

I am hoping very much to post an update soon with good news.

--
Gita