Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Documents, Filing, forms, directions and mailing
Click to log in with Facebook
Documents, Filing, forms, directions and mailing Documents, Filing, forms, directions and mailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bkshres will become famous soon enough
Default Driver license problem - Ohio to Maryland

Hi,

I recently moved from Ohio to Maryland. But Maryland DMA is saying that they can not issue Maryland driver's license based on my Ohio license BECAUSE my Ohio driver license has "non renewable/non transferable" note in it. In Ohio for all non-immigrant, they give driver's license with "non renewable/non transferable" note. Until someone gets green card, the note will be there in Ohio driver's license.

Did anyone have similar situation moving from Ohio to different state? This is strange rule in Ohio. but now if I have to get driver's license in Maryland, DMA is saying that I need to start from the beginning like fresh driver starting from driving school, certificates etc etc.

Please help.

Thanks,
BK
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/07/2007
Compare
md_alien will become famous soon enough md_alien will become famous soon enough
Default MD Drivers license

If you have an international driving license/permit, you can get a full MD license on its basis. I believe you only have to give a written test and a driving test. No drivers ed. etc. Probably you might have to take a Drug and Alcohol test too but thats not a big hassle.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
mhtanim will become famous soon enough

So, you can keep driving in Maryland with your Ohio license as long as it's valid but you cannot get a Maryland drivers license because of some stupid notes written on the Ohio license?

This is really frustrating to see how some states target (segregate?) the legal immigrants.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2008
Compare
kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute kshitijnt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtanim View Post
So, you can keep driving in Maryland with your Ohio license as long as it's valid but you cannot get a Maryland drivers license because of some stupid notes written on the Ohio license?

This is really frustrating to see how some states target (segregate?) the legal immigrants.
Until someone sues nothing is going to happen. Most americans are scared of only one thing, lawsuit.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of
Default OHIO Driver's License.

I had a OHIO driver's license for last 5 yrs and moved as a consultant. I worked in Memphis,Texas and PA. I did not change my OHIO license in Memphis and Texas as the duration of the projects were short. Finally I did change to PA drivers license. When I did change to PA driver's license ,I took with me my apartment lease copy, Telephone bill, H1B-I797 and OHIO driver's license.
I was able to change it to PA driver's license. Maybe if u show more supporting documents , or go to another license bureau in Maryland they will change the license for u

Hope that helps

Kapil

Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bkshres will become famous soon enough

Actually, I took all my documents and initially I was issued Maryland driver's license then he saw this note and called his supervisor and his supervisor cancelled Maryland Driver's license and gave me back Ohio driver's license. May be its matter of whether someone looks your ohio driver's license carefully or not. but bottomline now, I am not able to get Maryland driver's license.

Should I goto different DMA? is it illegal if someone gave me Maryland license even though there is "non renewable/non transferable" written?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of Kapils573 has much to be proud of
Default OHIO Driver's License.

Why do not u go to another License bureau and reapply and see what happens? If the other license bureau issues u Maryland license then take it.Also call up OHIO license bureau and ask them what does "non renewable/non transferable" actually mean and tell them the problem u are facing in Maryland. May be they will say something which will help u when u go to Maryland license bureau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkshres View Post
Actually, I took all my documents and initially I was issued Maryland driver's license then he saw this note and called his supervisor and his supervisor cancelled Maryland Driver's license and gave me back Ohio driver's license. May be its matter of whether someone looks your ohio driver's license carefully or not. but bottomline now, I am not able to get Maryland driver's license.

Should I goto different DMA? is it illegal if someone gave me Maryland license even though there is "non renewable/non transferable" written?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
probe is a glorious beacon of light probe is a glorious beacon of light probe is a glorious beacon of light probe is a glorious beacon of light probe is a glorious beacon of light probe is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Ohio and my sympathies are with you. If another state has concerns with clause "non renewable/non transferable"then Ohio should also have concerns, but on the contrary Licenses are renewed in Ohio.I feel this is more of kneejerk reaction to 9/11 aftermath.I am dismayed, does policy makers are under notion that a alien (not from outer space) have to
go through all the travails of a new driver if they move to other state !?.
My past experience suggests you to visit few other License agencies around your place and hope lady luck smiles
upon you.

EB3 India (RIR) PD DEC 2003
I-140 approved Aug 2007 TSC
I-485 sent to NSC Jul 29
I-485 RD JUL 30
I-485 ND SEP 6 NSC

Old 07-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bogati is on a distinguished road
Default You should not have any problem!

Hi there,

In my experience, Maryland Driver license is the easiest license to get. I moved from Ohio when I was on Student OPT. I had Ohio Driver license and I went to Maryland DMV and got license for 5 years. I am wondering why you did not get Maryland license.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Try again...

A couple of years back, my wife, who was on OPT back then moved from OH to TN. All she had to do was to give the written test in TN to get the TN license.

Also, from my past experiences, I can suggest you to try again by going to a different DMA. Speak to the manager, if possible and reason with him/her. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkshres View Post

Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

it is not easy as you think. Once you have this non renewable/non transferable stamp on the license you are stuck. For eg:- even if you stay in the state that issues that lisence (in this case Ohio), you will have to retake the whole test (computer + driving test) to even renew the lisense when your visa is renewed. You initially get the lisence only valid until the day of your visa expiry.
bottom line:: THIS IS THE CRAZIEST RULE THAT I HAVE COME ACCROSS. The more a person drives I was under the impression that her/his skills improve. I am not against checking the visa validity etc but to make you take the whole drivers test again is SIMPLY STUPIDITY.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know whether IV could raise this issue or members of each state could talk with the DMV (highest official) or even the governor of the state so that this ridiculous rule which is causing a lot of pain to lot of our members is taken care off. They introduced this rule to keep away people who are out of status to renew the lisence. For that they only need to check the visas / other documents and need not require the person to retake the whole test. The DMV claims that this is required because as of the date of expiry of your (non renewable) lisence, you actually dont have a lisence to renew and therefore have to redo the whole thing.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
I dont know whether IV could raise this issue or members of each state could talk with the DMV (highest official) or even the governor of the state so that this ridiculous rule which is causing a lot of pain to lot of our members is taken care off. They introduced this rule to keep away people who are out of status to renew the lisence. For that they only need to check the visas / other documents and need not require the person to retake the whole test. The DMV claims that this is required because as of the date of expiry of your (non renewable) lisence, you actually dont have a lisence to renew and therefore have to redo the whole thing.
Good idea. It is something state chapters can take up as an issue and take it to the local authorities. Michigan chapter had successfully done some advocacy effort. Those members can provide guidance if you are interested in taking it up in your state. IV will also help as needed and put its weight behind you, once you take it up as your action item at chapter level.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 07-28-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
yenyes is on a distinguished road
Default Ohio License Issues..

Hi Folks,
I had same issue with Ohio license.
Recently I moved to tennesee state from Ohio, and my Ohio DL had expired .
since I was in extension could not keep DL active.After I got extension I visited the DMV office in TN only to be informed that I had to retake all the process once again.
The only reason they mentioned was that certain states issue "Non Transferable/Non renewable" in such cases the DL cannot be renewed in other states.

I asked them as a consultant we do keep moving every few months to different states does that means we are supposed to go through the whole process each time..and I got the answer was "yes" if it contained "Non Transferable/Non renewable".On the other hand TN does not issue such kind of licenses with such keyword and so it is transferable and renewable.

This really sucks..

Thanks