Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Ability to pay issues and other 140 RFEs etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Ability to pay issues and other 140 RFEs etc. All discussions about Ability to pay issues and other 140 RFEs etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
ICWA is on a distinguished road
Default Equivalency issues of ICWAI

Hello,

All potential and current applicants of I-140 with ICWAI - please read and reply to this posting.

This is my first post on this forum with a purpose of resolving 4-year degree issues of ICWAI (The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India).

The ICWAI website (www.icwai.org) states that completion of final examination is at least equivalent to Masters degree in India. Both Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and AICTE also confirm this. However, both USCIS and AAO often requires good documentation to prove this point conclusively.

I have contacted the Institute of Cost and Works Accountants to provide me documentation that ICWAI is an accredited institution which can issue Masters equivalent degree in India. This, in my opinion, help proving that ICWAI is equivalent to a 4-year US Bachelors or 3 year + 2 year Masters degree in India, which seems to be generally accepted by USCIS for the purposes of both EB 3 and EB 2. Of course, each case is different, and requires to provide specific supporting documentation to USCIS.

But my purpose is to get a resolution on basic equivalency issues related to ICWAI qualification and establish a baseline for all members of the Institute working USA.

I have recently contacted the institute with all relevant information, and I got good response from the President and Council members of the ICWAI, who are seriously looking into this matter to come up with better documentation to resolve accreditation issues once for all. The ICWAI is eager to resolve issues members are facing in US with educational equivalency.

Please contact me or to the Institute directly (Email President / Membership department) for further information. Please reply to this post and let us work together.

Thanks to IV for providing a solid forum for sharing experiences.

Regards,
ICWA

Last edited by ICWA; 04-05-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gapala is infamous around these parts gapala is infamous around these parts
Default All right

First, could you please update your profile? Looking at your post, I assume that the country of Chargability is India.

Are you working as a cost accountant or some other area such as IT/BPO etc?

Sad to hear about your 140 denial, It all depends on what is the requirement on your LCA and job description there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as I know, ICWA is is not a degree but membership in the instutute. By the way, ICWA is also an accronym widely used for (Indian Child Welfare Act.) They also conduct some kind of training, Kind of confusing http://www.icwlc.org/training.html

Potential problems are the entry level requirements, just 10+2 and a foundation course 2 hours for 6 months (a semister). What that means is its not mandatory to complete 3 years degree to appear for ICWA exams. Questions is do they consider ICWA with degree and without degree (foundation path) as members at same level? YES.

There is a direct alternate path to examinations after the graduate degree (3 years?) There are no mandatory credit hours after 3 year degree to appear for ICWA exams.

I understand that exams are tough etc..kind of stuff but to qualify for EB2, you need an advance degree. Not sure how they are going to equate this without changing their entry level requirements and including mandatory course work with specific credit hours for each courses.

I know couple of folks where indian companies tried to sponsor H1B and could not pull it together on IT positions.. don't know how these companies select cost accountants as programers? I have also met some folks here who are CA /ICWA work for indian BPO companies, I thought, this is because BPO profile fits them and not a programmer in IT (hence the denials on H1B).

Last edited by gapala; 04-04-2009 at 11:03 PM.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Denail

Tough shit man. No 4 year degree, no H1B, no Green Card.
Corrupt desi "consultants" have miled the system enough.
It's good CIS is sorting out the bad eggs.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
Default Response

May God bless your hatred and ignorant souls!

Good Luck,
ICWA

Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWA View Post
May God bless your hatred and ignorant souls!
Good Luck,
ICWA
ICWA, ignore the hate comments, may god bless you too and good luck with your effort with institute and your GC dream. Hopefully you will succeed in convincing them on upgrading the entry level requirements for their Exams rather than 10+2 and 2 hours semister foundation course or what ever it is called which they are trying to equate to advanced degree in US or equivalent. Please try to answer above questions as well when you get a chance which will help member understand the situation better

Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
girishvar is a glorious beacon of light girishvar is a glorious beacon of light girishvar is a glorious beacon of light girishvar is a glorious beacon of light girishvar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Icwa

I am an ICWA from India with B.com. Degree. When I moved to US in 2001, my immigration attorney told me ICWA at best will be viewed as certification like CPA, CIA and CMA of America and will not be considered as equivalent of Degree. When I applied for H1-B, the evaluation came in as B.Com+AICWa together as equivalent of Bachelors Degree.

However for Green card puposes each qualification individually shooul qualify as a bachelors or Masters Degree.

WHen I processed my green card, we took EB-2 second option, which allows any certificate holder with 10 years experience in his profession with top salaries, membership and well acclaimed status in the profession qualifies for EB-2.

Mt attorney processed my case under EB-2 second category which deals with certifications and my labor and I-140 cleared without any hassle.

I finally got my green card in 2008.

The bottom line is if you have 10 years experience and command high salary you have an option of using certification route.

Quote:
Hello,

All potential and current applicants of I-140 with ICWAI - please read and reply to this posting.

This is my first post on this forum with a purpose of resolving 4-year degree issues of ICWAI (The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India).

The ICWAI website (www.icwai.org) states that completion of final examination is at least equivalent to Masters degree in India. Both Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and AICTE also confirm this. However, both USCIS and AAO often requires good documentation to prove this point conclusively.

I have contacted the Institute of Cost and Works Accountants to provide me documentation that ICWAI is an accredited institution which can issue Masters equivalent degree in India. This, in my opinion, help proving that ICWAI is equivalent to a 4-year US Bachelors or 3 year + 2 year Masters degree in India, which seems to be generally accepted by USCIS for the purposes of both EB 3 and EB 2. Of course, each case is different, and requires to provide specific supporting documentation to USCIS.

But my purpose is to get a resolution on basic equivalency issues related to ICWAI qualification and establish a baseline for all members of the Institute working USA.

I have recently contacted the institute with all relevant information, and I got good response from the President and Council members of the ICWAI, who are seriously looking into this matter to come up with better documentation to resolve accreditation issues once for all. The ICWAI is eager to resolve issues members are facing in US with educational equivalency.

Please contact me or to the Institute directly (Email President / Membership department) for further information. Please reply to this post and let us work together.

Regards,
ICWA

Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishvar View Post
I am an ICWA from India with B.com. Degree. When I moved to US in 2001, my immigration attorney told me ICWA at best will be viewed as certification like CPA, CIA and CMA of America and will not be considered as equivalent of Degree. When I applied for H1-B, the evaluation came in as B.Com+AICWa together as equivalent of Bachelors Degree.

However for Green card puposes each qualification individually shooul qualify as a bachelors or Masters Degree.

WHen I processed my green card, we took EB-2 second option, which allows any certificate holder with 10 years experience in his profession with top salaries, membership and well acclaimed status in the profession qualifies for EB-2.

Mt attorney processed my case under EB-2 second category which deals with certifications and my labor and I-140 cleared without any hassle.

The bottom line is if you have 10 years experience and command high salary you have an option of using certification route.
EB-2 Eligibility and Filing

The EB-2 classification includes: aliens who are "members of the professions holding advanced degrees or their equivalent" and aliens "who because of their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business will substantially benefit the national economy, cultural, or educational interests or welfare of the United States."

A petition for a foreign professional holding an advanced degree may be filed when the job requires an advanced degree (beyond the baccalaureate) and the alien possesses such a degree or the equivalent. The petition must include documentation, such as an official academic record showing that the alien has a U.S. advanced degree or a foreign equivalent degree, or an official academic record showing that the alien has a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree and letters from current or former employers showing that the alien has at least 5 years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience in the specialty.

In order to be classified as having exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business, the individual must provide documentation of three of the following:

An official academic record showing the alien has a degree, diploma, certificate or similar award from a college, university, school or other institution of learning relating to the area of exceptional ability;

Letters documenting at least ten years of full-time experience in the occupation being sought;

A license to practice the profession or certification for a particular profession or occupation;

Evidence that the alien has commanded a salary or other remuneration for services which demonstrates exceptional ability;

Membership in professional associations;

Recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the industry or field by peers, government entities, professional or business organizations.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts
Default Icwai

We have had no problem showing documentation for ICWAI equivalence to a US Masters for USCIS. I believe we get approvals 100% of the time.

Quote:

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
Default I-140 Approved by NSC

My I-140 was approved by NSC under EB-3 classification recently. NSC raised RFE on re-filed 140 petition in April-09 to prove educational equivalency. My labor certification plainly requires a 4-year degree + 5 years of experience, and does not allow for any combination or alternatives.

We submitted two evaluations - one from AACRAO and another from WES. AACRAO recommended that completion of final examination and Associate membership of the Institute of the Cost and Works Accountants of India is equivalent to a 4-year degree from an accredited university/college from the United States. The same conclusion was reached by WES as well. I think these evaluations worked.

Based on my research, there are several approved cases by AAO for similar petitions from members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India as well during 2007/2008 (look in AAO cases on USCIS website for LIN 0709852725 (Feb 12, 2008), LIN 0325452591 (Dec 26, 2007), SRC 0525450100 (Dec 26, 2007).

I hope this information helps potential members of the Insitute of Cost and Works Accountants of India in their immigration process.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
vikasgarg24 is on a distinguished road
Default Pl send me contact info. Needs some helo for EB2 filing and same case like you

Pl send me contact info. Needs some helo for EB2 filing and same case like you

Quote:

Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jk2012 is on a distinguished road
Default hi - need contact for ICWA equivalency

Hello,

My name is Milind. Can I have your contacts for discussing how we can get the Masters equivaelncy for ICWA degree for EB-2 applications?

It will be a great help.

Thx
Milind
milindbhute@gmail.com

Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts
Default Icwai

ICWAI is equivalent to a degree in India but it is not a degree. Last year, when properly handled by the attorney and the evaluator we saw virtually all approved. This year it is more difficult as I just saw my first denial but it was a slightly different situation than most. You need an experience attorney who understands how to tackle this problem.

Quote:
Hello,

Regards,
ICWA

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vijianand is on a distinguished road
Default Equivalency issues of ICWAI

Hi Sheila

I have completed my ICWA in 1996 directly after completing my 12th. I have been living in USA for more than 8 1/2 years and would like to process through my employer a new GC with EB2. I have over 20 Years experience. Will I be eligible for it?

I am PMP certified (not sure whether it is worth for validation) and also is in a position of Director of Information Technology.

Appreciate your inputs in today's scenario.

Regards,

Anand

Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute RDS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Equivalency Issues of ICWAI

ICWAI after 12th mostly WON'T qualify for EB2.
Even with three year Indian Degree it will not be sufficient for EB2 ,no matter how long is your experience.

EB3 will be only avenue.

Again this is my opinion - confirm with the attorney.
Also search for an old thread for the same issue on IV.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts krupa is infamous around these parts

Hi Sheila

Would you advice to go for new Labor with new evaluation of education credentials for those who already filed under EB3 ( 140 approved and 485 is pending ) who has done 3 year accounting degree plus 3 year CA ( Chartered Accountant ) ?

Or any other remedy you would like to suggest to them to upgrade from EB3 to EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Danzig View Post
ICWAI is equivalent to a degree in India but it is not a degree. Last year, when properly handled by the attorney and the evaluator we saw virtually all approved. This year it is more difficult as I just saw my first denial but it was a slightly different situation than most. You need an experience attorney who understands how to tackle this problem.