Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Labor Certification Stage > RFEs and specific queries
Click to log in with Facebook
RFEs and specific queries RFEs and specific queries during Labor certification stage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jagan13 is on a distinguished road
Default Renewal of Passport at Indian Embassy Washington DC

I am currently waiting for my renewed passport from Washington DC embassy, which I had mailed them on Dec 30th(signed for and received by them on Dec 31st). The passport is due to expire in Oct 2011. My problem is, my drivers license is expiring on Feb 24th as is my stamped visa. My employer has filed for my H1b extension and I currently have the original receipt notice needed for renewing my license. But, I cannot renew it without the original passport. I have been trying to reach them through phone as well as email for over 10 days now. Also, when filling out the form , I have a different permanent Indian address than what I had on the passport as my family back home had moved. The following are my questions:
1) Does this increase the processing time, due to any verification of address in India?
2) Has anybody been in the same situation and if yes, how long did it take for the embassy to renew and mail the passport?
3) Does anybody have a point of contact at the Embassy?

NOTE: I just talked to my bank and confirmed that the cashiers checks I had send along with the application have been cashed on Jan 24th. I dont know where that puts me on the timeline for receving my passport.

I have been looking at other threads on the forum and looks like it is typically taking 40 days for people to receive their passports in the mail. But , my license situation is concerning as I do not know, at what stage of renewal process my passport is in and how much longer I have to wait. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jagan

Last edited by jagan13; 02-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute

Jagan,

Unless you go in person to the consualte, you are not going to be able to speak to anyone. Moreover with suacha tight time constraint, you should have made a visit to the embassy and should have used your US address, which is what they ask you do at the DC Embassy.

I am sorry, I cant help you with any personal contacts, but advice you go there in person to get your issue resolved.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts sathishav is infamous around these parts
Default Is passport Necessary?

Which state are you from? Do they insist on Passport? In NC, if you have a valid drivers licence, all you need is a valid I797. They don't insist on the passport.

This is true at least as of Oct/nov 2010.

As the other member said, I have had no luch with phone/email from our embassy. Going in person "may" help, but since you mailed your application, they processing may be different.

won't hurt, if you go and check though.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future

I submitted my passport renewal in december 09 and received my new passport in feb 10. Exactly 3 months to the date. Its a pretty slow process. Initially they gave me a Jan date to pick the passport ( I did not personally not via mail) and when I went there they said they had not received police clearance from India (no change in house or any info from old passport) but good part was they said they will call me when the passport is ready and they did call. Other wise there is no way to contact them. The phone just rings and rings and message box is full.
Called CHC and other law makers
Contacted Local Congressman for support to Immigration bills.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

HRPRO,
I could go in person , but since I submitted it thru mail, I am not sure if they will even give it to me personally. As of right now, i am planning on waiting it out till the end of 8 weeks atleast, which will be the end of next week.

satishav,
I am from KY and currently they need to validate all the original documents, proof of address,etc before they issue this blue form, whih identifies the last date of your legal status and the DMV issues the license till that date. I already tried with copied on the original passport but the guy in the administrative office refused to issue the form.

aaren253,
Sorry about the lost passport.

rockstart,
I believe there were a lot of delays between 09 and 10, based on my research. Lately, it seems to be about 40 working days. Hopefully, my passport has the same processing timeline. As I mentioned in my post, both my checks(application fee and returm mailing fee) were cashed on 24th Jan which to me is still unclear, as my appointment date was on 24th Dec and my documents were received by the embassy on 31st Dec. I am not sure what they were upto with my passport, till 24th Jan.

Jagan

Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute HRPRO has a reputation beyond repute

Jagan,

If you go in person, the Consular Officer addresses most issues in the afternoon. You could ask for a meeting with him and explain your situation.

I think this will be the easiest resolution.

Hope you get your passport soon.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute vactorboy29 has a reputation beyond repute

My son's PIO card and my renewed passport were arrived in less than two weeks time.
Applications were put in at Chicago consulate on 24 Jan in person. We had received my renewed passport and PIO card in mail on 06 Feb.

I would give five star feed back to Chicago consulate people.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

HRPRO,
Although I need my passport desperately, I dont want to spend a fortune on a last min. flight or drive for 16 hours, just to hear that I did not wait for 8 weeks as I am supposed or that I can only receive it through mail. Unless I am 100% confident that I will get it, I do not want to go there, atleast not till the end of February. Especially, I dont want to go there in depseration and pay $150 for the tatkaal.The employees neither justlify their salaries nor the positions they hold which were primarily meant for helping Indians in US.

vactorboy29,
I am glad the Chicago CGI was helpful in your case.

I personally believe, that just being an Embassy somewhat explains the delays in DC office but clearly, it does not justify the attitiude of the employees there.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Jagan,

i am really soory about your predicament. I agree with you, the guys working at the embassy here need a lot of help. Hope you get your issues resolved soon.

HRPRO

Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I have sent an email to the Embassy today, enquiring about the status of my application and finally, for the very first time, received a response saying it will be checked into. I hope to hear that they have already mailed it out.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan13 View Post
I have sent an email to the Embassy today, enquiring about the status of my application and finally, for the very first time, received a response saying it will be checked into. I hope to hear that they have already mailed it out.
Nice to hear that Jagan. Persistence pays, doesn't it. :-)

Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Got response from the embassy stating that the passport has been processed but, not clear if they already dispatched it. Looks like they are still keeping up with the 40 day turnaround time.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I finally got my renewed passport with all the correct details, mailed to me yday. I ended up renewing my license today and got it for 1 yr as I only have the extension notice of action. They never gave me the tracking #, which makes me think they dont normally keep a record of the tracking # in a system for a passport being issued. I think it would be better for anybody trying to apply for a passport through mail, to send a pre paid envelope with a tracking # along with the original application to be used for returing the new passport. But, primarily they are still keeping up with the 40 day turn around as far as passport renewals go.

I appreciate everybody who took time to respond to the thread.

Thanks,
Jagan

Old 02-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts

A friend of mine (GC) sent his and his family passports to DC embassy and they sent his wife's and one kids passports back to him and sent the remaining 2 passports to some one else in california. Fortunatly the person who received the passport was a nice guy and he called my friend and sent back the passports.
Bottom line is if you are in the tri city area (within a 100 miles of DC) its is better to go in person to the embassy to submit and pick up passport. Atleast you have peace of mind. For those who live far off there is no option but to post

Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ravgujju is on a distinguished road

Hello Guys,

I have sent my passport to indian embassy, washington D.C. It's been more than 5 weeks......i am really worried about my passport. Does anyone has any idea? i called then n they said send us email about status but then they never reply me....advice will appriciate...Thanks