Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of JazzByTheBay has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Great work...

Chandu, this is great work....

Some feedback to improve this:
- the choice of music in this video distracts from the message, imo
- keep in mind some folks may be viewing this at their workplaces - perhaps toning down the music or using something softer will help them focus on the message more
- lot of text on some slides

cheers!
jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by deardar View Post
Chandu,
Most of the ppl might not be able to view the Video at their work places due to restrictions. Do you have a Powerpoint Presentation of this so that this can be circulated via emails etc ?
Proud member of IV California/NorCal
I was in Washington, D.C.

on Sep 18th 2007

---------------------------------------------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
delhirocks will become famous soon enough

good stuff..

Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
prp925 will become famous soon enough

nice presentation.
Couple of pointers:

(1) I agree, the music is too loud and noisy. Maybe some less sonorous music.
(2) Can we just get 7% of the visas. I thought that we can also get unused visas of other countries for that year. Am I mistaken.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googler
Just one question -- what is the basis (i.e. citable source) for saying that you cannot get a salary increase of more than 5%? I have not encountered this figure in any document or USCIS ruling. I am particularly interested in this because my salary has increased dramatically since my green card process started, and is likely to increase yet again.

I understand that only in-line promotions are possible while you wait, but I have not come across any explicit limits on salary increases. It may not be possible to get in-line promotions with large salary increases in all professions, but it is possible in some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanduv23 View Post
It is a matter of policies in big companies. While some employers have been flexible, most big companies or even educational instituions or non profits have protocols that they follow and the HR departments are very insensitive and objective to the benificiary's needs unlike consulting firms or employee friendly companies like microsoft, google. Believe me, a lot of people are not taking promotions or pay hikes just because their organizational policy would void their Green card petitions
It would be great if you would clarify this in the video/slides – the wording in the slide makes a very strong claim and it is misleading because it gives the impression that the law prevents salary increases and that this applies to everyone.

The last thing we want to do is have our credibility questioned because it seems that we are misunderstanding the law.

Do consider editing those slides to say something like "some companies may refuse to allow salary increases greater than 5%"

Thanks again for the hard work.

Googler

Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

1200 hits and going strong since morning.

Guess people love techno stuff when reading GC blues

Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

1500+ hits at 9.45 PM (less than 24 hours - People seem to be getting the message ") great going - Seems like the idea of mixing techno with factual message has made it interesting and conveyed the message

few days back I made another motivation video with an excellent sonmg from the soundtrack of Gandhi by Donna Summers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WmCjnNsoUU
That has recieved a mere 135 hits.

SEE YOU ALL IN DC ON 18TH

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googler
Just one question -- what is the basis (i.e. citable source) for saying that you cannot get a salary increase of more than 5%? I have not encountered this figure in any document or USCIS ruling. I am particularly interested in this because my salary has increased dramatically since my green card process started, and is likely to increase yet again.

I understand that only in-line promotions are possible while you wait, but I have not come across any explicit limits on salary increases. It may not be possible to get in-line promotions with large salary increases in all professions, but it is possible in some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandvu63
It is a matter of policies in big companies. While some employers have been flexible, most big companies or even educational instituions or non profits have protocols that they follow and the HR departments are very insensitive and objective to the benificiary's needs unlike consulting firms or employee friendly companies like microsoft, google. Believe me, a lot of people are not taking promotions or pay hikes just because their organizational policy would void their Green card petitions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googler View Post
It would be great if you would clarify this in the video/slides the wording in the slide makes a very strong claim and it is misleading because it gives the impression that the law prevents salary increases and that this applies to everyone.

The last thing we want to do is have our credibility questioned because it seems that we are misunderstanding the law.

Do consider editing those slides to say something like "some companies may refuse to allow salary increases greater than 5%"

Thanks again for the hard work.

Googler
Chandvu,

Predictably I am not the only one who finds this section troubling. See in the comments on Greg Siskind's site. Please don't dismiss this as criticism from detractors. We have to get the facts right -- a simple couple line edits will fix the problem.

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/200....html#comments

Honestly, I thought the presentation is very misleading. Where all this stuff about not being able to change title or get more than 5% wage increase is coming from? IV is misleading it's own people. Not good. Not good at all.

Posted by: Legal and waiting | September 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM

i'm not in the right field to answer that question, but the people who made that- they were a group of volunteers- there are alot of videos being made- are pretty reliable people, so i would personally accept what they say till proved wrong. i am told (again i don't know) that many firms will not change titles (mainly in the context of promotion) becuase LC is very specific- or they use it as an excuse- whatever the case, there are people stuck without a change of role for years. check any forum and you will hear them.
can't comment on the wage bit- suspect again the issue is that companies use the broken system and interminable wait to exploit the worker- the wage is tied to the position and they won't allow a significant change of designation...ergo- at least i think that's what it is.
feel free to educate....i will try get info from the horse's mouth too...

Posted by: paskal | September 10, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Paskal,
First, this is BS, and 'many firms' argument does not prove anything, it's like saying 'many firms don't provide health insurance, so we are going to argue that health insurance is prohibited by law'. Total bullocks. For example, my salary to start with was more than 5% higher than that of LC, and I got a promotion with a change in title even before my LC was approved, and that did not impact anything. On top of that, I AC21ed to different job two levels higher with a +25% increase in earnings a year after AOS filing. Second, don't you think such organization as IV should be HELPING immigrants overcome their difficulties as opposed to scare the crappies out of them over virtually nothing?
This approach just does not strike a good note with me.
Posted by: Legal and waiting | September 10, 2007 at 01:03 PM