Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/04/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Compare
deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future deepuaries has a brilliant future
Default A letter to Senator >>>>>

Here's a copy of a letter that I sent to Senator ???????. Thoughts? Comments?

Dear Senator ????,

I am writing to you today about an issue that hasn’t received its “day in the sun”: the employment based immigration issue. While the illegal immigration and amnesty aspect of the immigration have received widespread coverage in the media – the far more easy to resolve legal immigration issue has been shrouded in echelons of obscurity.

I am a 26-year old Indian citizen. I came to the United States in 2004 to work for a management consulting firm and today am a fairly successful professional. It’s been a long cherished ambition of mine to be able to enroll full-time in one of the premier business school in the United States to further my education and eventually aid my dream of being an entrepreneur. While I may have the credentials, and drive, to get into one of these highly-competitive schools, unfortunately my visa and “employability” may be the deal breakers. I was not aware of the long-winded immigration process when my employer applied for the (“so-coveted”) green card almost three years ago. The retrogression in the employment based visas (especially for people from large countries such as India and China) has ensured that not only are people to be wedded to a certain company, designation and pay – but also that life events such as education, marriage and transfer of location have to be seen through the complex and myriad prism of the United States’ immigration law. If one moves to a different job or even takes a higher salary, the danger of the applicant being pushed back in the line, where literally thousands of highly skilled workers are waiting for their green cards, is very real.

Not to be the one to break into clichés, I still feel compelled to bring up the “land of opportunity” comparison. If one is not able to pursue and realize one’s complete potential, then the true promise of America would be unrealized. This is especially true for the thousands of highly skilled and highly talented professionals who are waiting for their green cards under the employment categories. It is a known statistic that Silicon Valley’s entrepreneurial culture is driven by talented immigrants to the United States (we need to look only as far as Sergey Brin of Google or Vinod Kholsa of Sun Microsystems). Then why does not the US immigration system allow the epicenter of the world’s economy to fully realize the tremendous talents that these skilled workers bring to the American shores? Holding back legal tax-paying immigrants to pursue their dreams seems to be counter-intuitive to the idea that is America.

Since coming to America, I have worked in three different countries for my employer. Gaining perspective and earning direct foreign exchange for my American employer – and yet, I wonder if a talented person like me has to operate under invisible wires of immigration restriction – then who is the system really serving? I have personally known at least four of my friends, who after waiting in the “green card queue” for years, have left the United States for other nations to pursue their ambitions in a more unrestrictive environment. And I think to myself what a wasted opportunity – both for my friends and this nation. Talent begets talent – and in the knowledge based global economy that we live in, it is this truth that we have to imbibe into immigration policy. The worst part of the story is that, I am actually considered to be “much better off” than many others who have been lamenting for years in the system. I would highly encourage you to look at the Non-profit Immigration Voice (www.immigrationvoice.org) which has hundreds of heart wrenching tales of people stuck in the immigration mire.

Is the concept of automatic unrestrictive “green cards” or “employability” for law-abiding talented immigrants after staying the US for 5 years that difficult? Is abolishing country based restrictive quotas for employment based green cards (because employability of a person should not have any relation to country of birth) really a totally absurd concept? Many other nations have adopted immigration policies that have benefited their diversity, culture and perhaps most importantly - their economies, wouldn’t it be a shame that if the country that has the highest number of immigrants and which was founded on the premises of immigration lost its way in coming up with creative solutions to this issue?

Sir – I had followed your 2006 campaign very closely. And was impressed with the commitment, and sensitivity, you have shown to issues that your opponent did not. I also hear that there is a possibility of you playing a larger role in Washington D.C as a potential Vice-President nominee. In your present, and future, capacities I believe that you have the power, and more importantly the sensitivity, to resolve this, rather easily “fixable”, issue.

I, and many other potential future citizens of the United States, would be happy to answer any questions or queries you have on this matter.

I thank you again for your time and efforts.

Yours truly.

Last edited by gsc999; 10-07-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dressking is on a distinguished road
Default Great.

You wrote exactly what I have wanted to say. This is great. I just wish that I can copy your letter and send it to my representatives.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Cameroon
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
claudia255 will become famous soon enough

Very well written.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute

deepuaries, very thought provoking and well written letter.
An individual letter cannot give credibility for our cause. It would be nice if U could join U'r state chapter and accompany U'r fellow IV members in meeting with Senator ????. This can give a great deal of visibility to the cause than an individual letter..

just my 2 cents..

Last edited by gsc999; 10-07-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Please don't post your communications with the lawmakers

Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepuaries View Post
Here's a copy of a letter that I sent to Senator ?????. Thoughts? Comments?

Dear Senator ????,

I am writing to you today about an issue that hasn’t received its “day in the sun”: the employment based immigration issue. While the illegal immigration and amnesty aspect of the immigration have received widespread coverage in the media – the far more easy to resolve legal immigration issue has been shrouded in echelons of obscurity.

I thank you again for your time and efforts.

Yours truly.

---
It is great that you have written a letter. From now on please do not post yor communications on a public forum. All this work might be useless if you keep telegraphing all your actions and strategy on a public forum

Cheers!

Last edited by gsc999; 10-07-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default To the contrary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpadapa View Post
deepuaries, very thought provoking and well written letter.
An individual letter cannot give credibility for our cause. It would be nice if U could join U'r state chapter and accompany U'r fellow IV members in meeting with Senator Jim Webb. This can give a great deal of visibility to the cause than an individual letter..

just my 2 cents..
To the contrary, we should all send our own stories to our representatives. Let's make it a campaign. Only such a writing campaign can show US Congress who we are and what we want, and make them do something. Individual real stories are more powerful.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc999 View Post
---
It is great that you have written a letter. From now on please do not post yor communications on a public forum. All this work might be useless if you keep telegraphing all your actions and strategy on a public forum

Cheers!
Why not? I thought this can serve as an example for other IV members to learn from and do the same. We need as many people to participate as possible and we need to learn from each other.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tp2007 is on a distinguished road

Well written letter. Don't know of a reason why it shouldn't be posted here! I myself wrote letters to representatives and senators from my state - and got a standard canned response about how much they tried/are trying to fix the immigration issues (and talked in length about border enforcement and illegal immigration - duh!)

--T

Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default You are lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2007 View Post
Well written letter. Don't know of a reason why it shouldn't be posted here! I myself wrote letters to representatives and senators from my state - and got a standard canned response about how much they tried/are trying to fix the immigration issues (and talked in length about border enforcement and illegal immigration - duh!)

--T
You are lucky to have got an automatic response. I don't get any response at all.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
smc will become famous soon enough smc will become famous soon enough
Default Good letter

Its a great letter. I cant think of a reason not to post it here, these are not exactly secrets.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Personal stories are very powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpadapa View Post
An individual letter cannot give credibility for our cause.
Individual stories and letters explaining personal hardships DO work. It did work for me personally in resolving a driving license issue.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future

Heartfelt and beautifully written. I can't think of single reason not to post this here. There is no "strategy" being given away in the letter. Isn't this exactly the sort of "voice" that needs to be heard?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Its a great letter. I cant think of a reason not to post it here, these are not exactly secrets.
-
As an individual you are more than welcome to write as many letters and show them to your friends. The end is not the letter itself but the impact you will generate. I do commend the person who wrote this letter as his intention is to motivate others. IV has almost 24K members now and we have been successful when we work as a team.

Having said that, studies have shown that writing letters to lawmakers is not the most effective way to communicate. I am not trying to discourage others from doing this. Most people who have done this before and members who were in DC and volunteers who are part of state chapters know this well.

Now, please understand we don't wish to work in ad-hoc manner and write letters to lawmakers without being mindful of their official position on an issue. If they already support us then we need to deepen that relationship, on the other hand if they oppose us, writing a letter won't make them change their mind. We need to meet them and present our case personally, that requires a lot of commitment, preparation and effort and likewise the results may be more fruitful.

We approach this matter of contacting a lawmakers with extremely seriousness and want to make sure we communicate our issues properly and in a succinct manner. If you want to help us do this then become part of the local state chapters, learn from other people's experience and then do the needful.

I don't intend to police this thread and I am sure you understand what I am getting at. If not then please PM me your phone number and I would be glad to explain.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute

Deputaries,
The essence of the letter is missing , if you want to go to B-school, you dont need a GC, you can always convert to F1 to study. Bottom line is , the US economy will benefit if you get a GC as your skills will benefit the hi-tech industry and the country which inturn will keep US on the forefront of technology.

My 2 cents

Sunil

EB2 - 03/2005

Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressking View Post
Why not? I thought this can serve as an example for other IV members to learn from and do the same. We need as many people to participate as possible and we need to learn from each other.
----
Yes, I agree, this is a great letter and it moved me too. I am not against the letter but the pertinent information of the contact person. How does that dilute the message of the letter? It doesn't.

If we multiply the effect of this letter by a factor of 1000 won't that be amazing? For that we need to be more organized. Infact, you probably know more then me because I saw you spend late nights, working, during the recent, highly successful DC event . You know how we work.

My intention is just to protect our interests.