Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ram_ram will become famous soon enough

Logiclife,
IV is a voluntary organisation. You can request people to volunteer, but cannot force them or scold them for not volunteering. This is not professional. They might have their reasons and the right to work their way. I agree with your frustration when people who signed to turn up do not show up. But I feel this is not the way to express it.

Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
I have been member of IV since Dec 05. Probably since a couple of weeks after it was founded.

In last 2 years, I have seen many ups and downs with this org and there are numerous stories to share in my work with core and grassroots, with lobbyists and congressional staffers, with friends and colleagues.

But what has been happening in few places lately is something that those responsible should be ashamed of.

On saturday IV chapter leader in Texas Needhelp! had organized a local chapter meetup. Now you may ask, oh, another one of those. What do they do anyways?

Well, here is what we do in chapter meetups.

WE WORK.

We find groups that can be formed to meet local congressmen. We refine talking points. We share updates that we dont usually share on website. We help new members get up to speed. We sometimes get local immigration attorneys to answer questions on pro-bono basis (yes, that means free for you) to serve the community. Lawyers get free publicity, we get free legal advise. A symbiotic quid-pro-quo.

This is what happened this weekend in Plano TX (Dallas Suburb).

Now mind you, Dallas area alone has probably atleast 300 registered members. Not to mention the lurkers for whom I have a special message below(at the end).

This is what she (Needhelp) reported after chapter meetup.

Yep. She missed an extra carricular event important to her daughter for this meetup.

Dont even get me started on those who live 10 miles from Plano Texas and dont bother responding even.

You know, when someone arranges to send you details in email and you know about it, you say you will attend and then you dont, what do you think is going to happen?

IF EAD IS THE END OF THE ROAD FOR YOU...

If EAD is the end of the road for you, then why are you still coming to this website. There are about always 600-700 people on this site during the day and about 300 people at night. Who are these people?

The truth of the matter is, the ones who dont contribute, have stopped contributing, or have never contributed funds, attended events or given anything to this org - but still keep scouring theads - are the people to be pitied. You will always be worried. "Mera kyaa hoga". (what will happen to me). Your journey wont end. Ever. Even after getting GC you will be worried about citizenship. Even after getting citizenship, there will be small itch in your head - what if my citizenship is revoked (yes it can legally happen and has happened to a WWII genocide guy in 2001-2002 timeframe, go google it and ruin your rest of the day).

The truth of the matter is, right now, even after getting EAD, then only action you have taken is either stopped contributing funds, or stopped giving any of your time to this org.

But your life has not changed one bit.

You probably wont even use your EAD or change employers. You will constanly be worried about your namecheck, your fingerprints, your this, your that. You will be worried about new inquiries and RFEs coming on your approved 140 (approved years ago) during 485 processing. (yes that can happen too). You will be worried about accidental rejection of 485 (that's why most of the people wont even use EAD and continue on H1 to preserve option of using appeals process to appeal 485 rejection on H1). You will be worried about USCIS not buying your AC21 portability and sending your RFEs to prove that the ported job is "Same or similar" in nature. You will be worried about being unemployed for few weeks at a wrong time just about when 485 RFE comes and you dont have a letter to show you have a job offer to justify 485 approval.

So basically the struggle hasnt ended. Yes, keeping looking at your EAD in your wallet every 3 minutes, its still miserable.

So why not act to end the misery rather than scour forums and comiserate. Is it that much fun to comiserate and is it that much pain to co-operate?

THE LURKERS ON THIS SITE WHO WILL NEVER REGISTER OR DO ANYTHING AT ALL.

Not to mention how many cowards (yes, cowards who think that by registeration on this website, the USCIS will send a black helicopter to their home and abduct and deport them, the ones who have watched the movie "enemy of the state" too many times and think that there is a Jon Voight out there who has nothing to do both to pluck legal skilled immigrants and throw them out). I have a special message for those lurkers who need this website and visit it everyday but dont have the balls to register, share email and participate in any activity. This isnt about a chapter meetup, or your greencard or even this org. Your reluctance is not a reflection of your over-cautiousness. Its a reflection of your character. You will eventually get greencard, become citizens even, but this kind of cowardly attitude will made you lead a boring, uneventful and mediocre life.

And by the way, if the government was really after you, they would have already gotten to you for browsing this site too. Dont you think they (the black helicopter guys) can find our who you are while you are lurking? Ever heard of IP addresses? If I can find that out then they can do much more.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute
Default No to paid membership

IV is more than a website. We are trying to build a grassroots organization. Things are taking place offline as well.

It takes time to build the base. Strengthening the state chapters is one of the best thing we can do. Our first chapter meeting was very small as well but we will build from there. More members are forthcoming to meet lawmakers now.

pansworld: I might be able to help reach out to more people in NM

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-22-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-11-2007
Compare
jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future
Default my 2 cents

logiclife,
you are a great leader. Just concentrate on different ways to succeed. you have just found a way that does not work. My suggestion for you is plan smaller meeting call 5 members in a group and meet at a location explain them and give them the handouts and tell them to meet 5 more people and give you the report. I think this may work.

I had succeeded 10,000 ways that will not work, before making the light builb" -Thomas Edision

Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
zephyrr has a spectacular aura about zephyrr has a spectacular aura about
Default voluntary it is

I've been on the website for sometime, started out with a positive attitude, contributed etc, but got totally * turned off* by childish posts like the one from Logiclife. Emotional responses to situations is hardly the way to lead, especially a volunteer organization like IV. Do you think big exhortations and 'quotations' from all over the web motivate people??

Needhelp, you are doing a great job. It is insincere of people to not show up after they've committed, but what's new? We've all had that happen when we try to arrange large parties where the 'not so close' crowd is expected.

My 2 cents, instead of using impersonal bulletin boards and emails, lets try this:

- you * call * 2 of your friends and ask them to commit
- ur friends each calls 2 more friends and asks them to commit

I'm willing to bet, we'll get a better turnover this way.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_ram View Post
Logiclife,
IV is a voluntary organisation. You can request people to volunteer, but cannot force them or scold them for not volunteering. This is not professional. They might have their reasons and the right to work their way. I agree with your frustration when people who signed to turn up do not show up. But I feel this is not the way to express it.

Ram
welcome notice: may 21 2008
contrib: $300, flower campaign, letters

Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all
Default Thanks!

Thanks. I plan to go on a recruitment drive. Just have not put a plan together yet. Please share as many experiences as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grupak View Post
IV is more than a website. We are trying to build a grassroots organization. Things are taking place offline as well.

It takes time to build the base. Strengthening the state chapters is one of the best thing we can do. Our first chapter meeting was very small as well but we will build from there. More members are forthcoming to meet lawmakers now.

pansworld: I might be able to help reach out to more people in NM

http://groups.google.com/group/ivnewmexico

PD - July 2003
I-485 RD - July 2007
EAD - Approved
AP - Approved
FP - Done

Old 12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Compare
mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light mbawa2574 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Make IV a paid website. Just keep immigration news public ,rest all paid login

Put in a modest membership as $250 a year or $25/month. No trial memberships or free rides. That way you will really know the serious members and we will able to verify anti-immigrants vs the actual people. Let's go PAID !!! Also please plan on considering web advertisements on this website as another source of funding the movement.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2004
Compare
sbabunle is on a distinguished road

Needhelp,
You should be proud of yourself. And people
who did not show up after RSVPed. Shame on you.

If you offered a $15 gift card or a free movie
coupon or Flash drive, all of these people
would have lined up at your door.( that is the
Desi attittude )

I got my green card 4 months ago.( by Lord
Krishna's grace). I still contribute to IV on monthly
autopay. I've been trying to help everyway I could from
the inception of IV. I made numourous strangers during
one time to talk about IV. ( My experience is that
Desi's are so hard to convince. Their world is their family
and four walls around them and save everypenny they earn).

I've a friend who went to 5.00am to a autoshop
to test drive and get a $50 coupon. But who would never
bother to sign a letter for IV's cause( he is a green card
waiter). I've tell him several times to do it.

Needhelp, your best way would be to find one person
committed like you to stand up. It will be much easier
then.

Here is Mother Teresa's Prayer

"People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered..forgive them anyway"

all the bests to all of you.
babu

Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/18/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold apb is a splendid one to behold
Default It is not acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_ram;
Logiclife,

Ram
It is not acceptable
For people to say they are coming and do not show up. I understand exceptions can happen, But least they could call-up and let the organizer know. I remember the same in recent Diwali Mela. Some who were supposed to come are still on the way.
This event was not to display the strength by show of hands. These members were expected to be delegated with some action items and follow up items. Either you volunteer or you don't. But volunteering and not showing up indeed speaks volume of the lousy character. Maybe this unprofessional behavior is commented upon strongly, but is it worth anything to sugar coat this behavior. Why can't we call a spade a spade? Just because it hurts? If we start accepting this attitude it only reflects a weakness on our side.

I see no reason why these peoples handle should not be made aware to other members at least at the state chapter level. Now they would know who they could count on. If I am a part of this team I should know who are in my team, who are accountable and who are not.
I 140 approved
I 485 Date received July/20/2007
RD July/20/2007
ND Aug/17/2007
FP Oct/5/2007
EAD/AP - Received
GC interview date Nov/2009
GC approved Feb/17/2010

If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2004
Compare
sbabunle is on a distinguished road

Shut up you junkie..
RSVPing and then not coming is very professional?

Quote:
Logiclife,

Ram

Old 12-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future kc_p21 has a brilliant future
Default I agree....

Nothing against Logiclife but response doesn't sound right.

Quote:
Logiclife,

Ram
Contributed $375 so far

Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by internet View Post
I thought this will happen. People will oppose the post and find faults in Logiclife instead of themselves. There are several people coming up with their 2 cent ideas on this thread asking what IV must do and plan. But none of them want to do that themselves.

I think this is the real reason for failure.
Internet,

First of all let me tell you that nobody is claiming "Failure" here or nowhere on any other thread. The message is loud and clear: "Self Correction" to avoid possible lag- And what you are indicating could also be one of the factor and we may need to recognize it and correct it.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see and hear about the pros and cons of Logiclife's post. Both sides are valid and rightful in their own way...

However there are goals that need to be achieved for this grassroots organization and it is just not viable for just a few dedicated people to achieve it. Is it wrong on their part to appeal/call out for help? By the way this is not for the benefit of just a few people. Whoever comes to this website will be benefited by the outcome of the efforts.

No one is demanding anyone to just volunteer. Logiclife's post might have shown emotion and for members like Ram (with all due respect) it might have seemed unprofessional....but this is not a corporation which is run on a profit/loss basis. It is a people's organization solely to benefit the members. Emotion and dedication are a major part of its survival. I am not a leader but I do my minimum.

1. Contribute financially.
2. Spread awareness among friends and acquaintances in similar position.

I respect all the people who responded because I am sure they might have contributed in some way. For the others, please do more than visit the site for just updates.

Northern California State Chapter

Last edited by bondgoli007; 12-10-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: title

Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Logiclife's post may be a little strong in words. But it wasn't done with any ill-will toward anyone. Please remember it was borne out of frustrations borne out of some volunteers playing hokey at important IV events after RSVPing to attend and volunteer.

Naturally the organizer felt frustrated at the unexpectedly low-level participation at a very important event, for which significant personal sacrifice was done.

A word of advice to everyone - Do NOT volunteer to anything unless you are 100% sure you'll be doing it. Don't volunteer 'spur of the moment' to backtrack later. It's a rude and unprofessional conduct. We are all highly-skilled professionals here, right?

Take your time ( I mean weeks, a month or two, not 10-12 months of years !), become convinced about the IV cause. If you believe in it volunteer with full heart and conviction. And once you do, keep your words and promises. Don't make empty promises that aren't kept. It creates a very bad impression about you as a person. Not everyone will publish it here, but you'll be marked off as 'all talk, no action' from that point onwards.

If you expect others to respect you, please respect others first. Be professional and considerate in your conduct. If you cannot volunteer it's fine. Please don't make others lose their interest. For if they do and abandon the cause, you'll be a loser too !

Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Hitech-coolie is infamous around these parts
Default Indian culture

I fully agree.
They may have some material education.
But Indian guys working here are third class fellows.
Arrogant, low tendencies, flase values etc.
They don't even mix with other Indians and think they are in Heaven or some thing.Don't worry if they loose their GCc.
These guys are unworthy of gettings GCs.
Best Regards

Old 12-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all pansworld is a name known to all
Default Please close this thread

before it gets out of hand!!!!

http://groups.google.com/group/ivnewmexico

PD - July 2003
I-485 RD - July 2007
EAD - Approved
AP - Approved
FP - Done

Closed Thread