Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Action Items for everyone (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/)
-   -   GC Question in Democratic Debate on CNN tonight (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/17004-gc-question-in-democratic-debate-on-cnn-tonight.html)

claudia255 02-01-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjoe (Post 219036)
I think we should ask them something like "When it takes 7-10 yrs for a legal immigrant to get his green card, what would be your estimate for illegal immigrants to get their green card / citizenship when they are sent to the back of the line as per your plan? Don't you think that there are more serious issues with the immigration dept (USCIS) which is one of the causes for long waits legal immigrants face? If so do you have any plans of taking a first step to fix the agency (USCIS) problems before implementing CIR, which could break the agency because of the additional 13 million application from illegal immigrants?"

This is an excellent question! Very well phrased. Our plight will only be addressed in a national debate if is there is some connection to illegal immigration, which is unfortunate.
If the present delays are not eliminated, the system will crash. Simple as that. The next debate will not be after Super Tuesday I believe. Maybe after then, there will be a consensus on the specific question we should ask. But yours is definitely excellent.

NKR 02-01-2008 09:32 AM

I do not want to underestimate the excellent job that the guys who framed the questions did. I think the question did not make it because it was too long or they just do not care about us.

I was disappointed that there was just a passing mention of legal immigration in the debate.

On the other side, can't these guys at the altar think for a while before framing any rules and policies?. A case in point is the Michigan DL rule. Couldn't they comprehend the damage it is going to cause to industries and the local economy before they implemented the rule?. Are they dumb or are they just numb to our hardships?.

This whole thing stinks.

ddeka 02-01-2008 09:49 AM

Also No 18.

"18. Question on: Immigration
LEGAL skilled immigrants who pay taxes and been waiting in line to get a green card have to wait for 8 - 10 years, any plans to improve the whole system of the green card process / FBI name check delays and various other related green card naturalization process ? "

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpitdwivedi (Post 218902)
Hi All,

Tonight at 8:00 PM EST is the last debate between democratic candidates before the super tuesday. CNN is holding this debate from Kodak Theater, LA. CNN allows some very popular questions from the general public to be asked to the candidates in these debates.

I had put up a question regarding the 'Legal immigration (Green card) issues' yesterday on www.politico.com and it has caught on popularity. I see that another friend already put this up on this forum and has asked all to vote for the question. Thanks to all now the question is ranked # 3.

To make it a sure shot question in the debate, I would like to request you all to:

- go to http://dyn.politico.com/debate/democ...orQuestion.cfm
- go to the 'Most popular' tab
- VOTE for the Immigration question (currently ranked # 3) that talks about naturalization and green card problems.

What this will do is that this question would be put up in the debate tonight and we would get to hear the opinions/ plans of Obama and Clinton on this big issue.

Thanks and regards,

Arpit Dwivedi

kaisersose 02-01-2008 10:54 AM

This may sound negative, but I think we should accept facts - good or bad.

A candidate running for the president of the US cannot lose sight of the big picture. A group of half a million foreigners who will not be voting and will not be voting anytime in the near future are of no significance to the campaign. On the other hand, if such a group were taken into consideration, there is the other risk of alienating voters who are anti-immigration.

In short, talking up such an issue can only bring problems to them and nothing positive. Why will they care?

There are tons of other issues today affecting America and millions of Americans (voters) which rightfully deserve more attention than the plight of 0.5 million foreigners - or aliens in American lingo.

pappu 02-01-2008 11:09 AM

Immigration problem = undocumented immigrants.

This is a general perception.

When you try to talk about high skilled or legal immigrants

Legal high skilled immigration issue = More H1B

So you see this is the problem and we as a community should share the blame for not making the greencard issue important for lawmakers. We continue to discuss and complain on retrogression, visa bulletins and immigration problems on the forums that no lawmaker or agency will read and help us.

Nobody in the corridors of DC will really listen to us unless we tell them our problems. Unless this issue becomes a national issue such that politicians careers can be affected by their positions on this issue, it will never be a part of a presidential debate.

If only few people out of about a million high skilled immigrants in this country write letters to the president, do you really think this issue and the provisions will be considered important?

If only few people contribute in the past one month or sign up for monthly contributions, do you think we can lobby hard enough?

If only 2 members from the entire Michigan chapter work hard on the Drivers license issue and take a day off for it, do you think state will understand the true nature of the problem if Driver license is denied to legal immigrants?

Our issues have a solution and we alone can solve it if we want to. There is no need to look elsewhere. The strength is within us. It is just a matter of willingness to do something about it.

easygoer 02-01-2008 12:26 PM

The stress should be separating legal from illegal

Hello Everyone,

I Think our problem is that we are not separated from illegal immigrants. We should put all our efforts to separate us from illegals so that we can be saved from rejections. Many senators were supporting illegal immgrant do not want to separate issues related to legal one and our problem starts here.

rachnaj 02-01-2008 12:36 PM

the question is noving down....PLEASE vote

I already voted.....its moved to number 4...please IV vote...

Quote:

Hi All,

Tonight at 8:00 PM EST is the last debate between democratic candidates before the super tuesday. CNN is holding this debate from Kodak Theater, LA. CNN allows some very popular questions from the general public to be asked to the candidates in these debates.

I had put up a question regarding the 'Legal immigration (Green card) issues' yesterday on www.politico.com and it has caught on popularity. I see that another friend already put this up on this forum and has asked all to vote for the question. Thanks to all now the question is ranked # 3.

To make it a sure shot question in the debate, I would like to request you all to:

- VOTE for the Immigration question (currently ranked # 3) that talks about naturalization and green card problems.

What this will do is that this question would be put up in the debate tonight and we would get to hear the opinions/ plans of Obama and Clinton on this big issue.

Thanks and regards,

Arpit Dwivedi

NKR 02-01-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easygoer (Post 219111)
Hello Everyone,

I Think our problem is that we are not separated from illegal immigrants. We should put all our efforts to separate us from illegals so that we can be saved from rejections. Many senators were supporting illegal immgrant do not want to separate issues related to legal one and our problem starts here.

There is more to it, it is not that they cannot distinguish between illegal immigrants and legal immigrants, the question is "do they want to?". I guess they do not want to do it for their own interest, whatever that is...

rachnaj 02-01-2008 12:40 PM

its still at number 3, sorry for the wrong message previously

done voting...

thnx

Quote:

Hi All,

Thanks and regards,

Arpit Dwivedi

NKR 02-01-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachnaj (Post 219117)
I already voted.....its moved to number 4...please IV vote...

you missed the bus, the debate was yesterday.

sands_14 02-01-2008 01:03 PM

We all missed the BUS

Might sound pessimistic but we are not going to see any favorable thing happen for another 1-2years."SUFFERING FOREVER"
On that,the Immigration system sucks .
Apply for EAD/AP.Problems:
I got approval after 4 months,AP still pending,cud not go home during holiday period because of this.A lot others are suffering.My wife is still waiting for her EAD/AP both.
Lot others have similar issues.
AC21
Its too risky to use AC21 with so may applications in and USCIS people making mistakes continuously.The operators dont talk well with you either.:mad:

I think its time to RETHINK the decision to be an immigrant in a IMMIGRANT NATION which does not bother about immigrants any more.The best way to discourage illegal immigration is to streamline the Legal Immigration.They just dont get it :confused:

sidbee 02-01-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersose (Post 219075)
This may sound negative, but I think we should accept facts - good or bad.

A candidate running for the president of the US cannot lose sight of the big picture. A group of half a million foreigners who will not be voting and will not be voting anytime in the near future are of no significance to the campaign. On the other hand, if such a group were taken into consideration, there is the other risk of alienating voters who are anti-immigration.

In short, talking up such an issue can only bring problems to them and nothing positive. Why will they care?

There are tons of other issues today affecting America and millions of Americans (voters) which rightfully deserve more attention than the plight of 0.5 million foreigners - or aliens in American lingo.

very well said, i totally agree with u I know that unfortunate

ajju 02-01-2008 02:05 PM

not a good idea to merge with naturalization

Its a whole new issue and a hotter one.. So I am sure.. if this question is raised they'll just talk about naturalization and illegal immigration if time permits... think we should just pose about greencard backlog... need to isolate the question...

Still appreciate the effort and jus voted for it...
Keep the good work...

va_dude 02-01-2008 02:15 PM

I wonder why some of the people were voting for these questions today?

The debate was last nite and there was no reference to anything specific about legal immigration.