Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx82 View Post
I sent the standard message to my congress woman and got following response.

What am I suppose to do next? I don't understand if she supports visa recapture or not. ???
Lawmakers will not support Recapture by mere sending of an email. Even if you send 10 thousand spam emails a day, they will not support Recapture. Do not expect a lawmaker office to read each and every email coming to their office and responding individually. We will likely get such automated responses from offices that sometimes will not even fully relate to what you were trying to communicate.

Sending emails is simply to start contact with the lawmaker office. It is the simplest thing to do but not an end in itself. Stay away from all kinds of misinformation out there on forums. We maybe good in our own professional area of expertise but clueless of how things work in the political process. There is a mob mentality and a brash attitude on forums that we need to avoid to really understand how advocacy process works.

The next step is to call the office and meet. Note that even calling and meeting will not convince a lawmaker to support recapture. Meeting is just the next logical step in the advocacy process. Hundreds of constituents need to meet in every state to advocate for recapture provision. If this is done, the office will favorably review our recommendation. The feedback from every meeting you will send us , will help us when we lobby that particular lawmaker in DC or help us decide if we need to even lobby that particular office in DC.

Looks like our community has very unrealistic expectations from the whole effort. Advocacy is not easy. It is a very long process and one needs to be persistent. We should not have any false notion that by sending emails, our advocacy work is done and our bill will now be on the floor.

Experienced senior members are urged to help educate others in the political and advocacy process on the forum. IV is a platform to generate awareness in our community and also guide the community in the advocacy process. There is a good guide- ' Guide to meet lawmakers ' on our website under advocacy tab on the top. read that document to prepare yourself for meeting with lawmakers.

Please feel free to contact IV if there are any questions and you need help in your lawmaker meetings.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 11-23-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute gc_peshwa has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
Well said Pappu!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/23/2011
Compare
kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice
Default got standard reply

I think our earlier communication is being considered as if we are supporting without any amendments. Is there a second letter/email drafted by someone that we can send to (hopefully) draw attention to our amendments?

I know sending emails may not make any difference but not all of us are planning on meeting their representatives.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got reply from Senator Robert NJ

November 19, 2010

Mr.

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the management of Employment-Based Second Preference Visas. Your opinion is very important to me, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you about this issue.

The number of unused visas is a concern that plagues our current immigration system. As a result, I believe it is important to reform our immigration system to meet the demands of our global marketplace. You may be pleased to know that I introduced S. 1085, the Reuniting Families Act (RFA), to not only address the issue of family reunification, but also to recapture employment-based visas that haven't been used in past years so that they may be used in future years. This bill also eliminates the current backlogs and long wait times in the family immigration system. Please rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as I continue to address the concerns of employment-based visas in the context of comprehensive immigration reform.

Several Senators including myself are currently working on a comprehensive immigration reform framework that aims to fix all the problems within our current immigration system. I thank you for sharing your thoughts with me, and I appreciate your support. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance. I invite you to visit my website (Robert Menendez - US Senator for New Jersey: Home) to learn more about how I am standing up for New Jersey families in the United States Senate.

My post is NOT legal advice and it's my personal opinion.
Take Advise from Immigration Attorney.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin08 View Post
I know sending emails may not make any difference but not all of us are planning on meeting their representatives.
Why?
Why not all of us are planning on meeting?
What are you afraid of?
Or do you want just a few of us to do the work for the rest?.
It only takes an 1/2 hour to meet and present

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute LONGGCQUE has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with 'amitjoey'.

My family is meeting with one of senator's aide today and plan to discuss issues, hand over copy of same letter that was sent on email and seek his position on the issue.
c) priority date and
d)location to i485.mailing.list@gmail.com .

Until Congress enacts legislation to eliminate backlogs, people who cannot file I485 will always be in limbo and at the mercy of endless H1B visa extensions and visa stamps. Join us and be a part of future IV initiatives to push USCIS to allow I485 filing without current PD.
Wiki

Last edited by LONGGCQUE; 11-23-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: edit

Old 11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGGCQUE View Post
Agree with 'amitjoey'.

My family is meeting with one of senator's aide today and plan to discuss issues, hand over copy of same letter that was sent on email and seek his position on the issue.
Thank you.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute GCplease has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara View Post
Done.
Done.

Contributed $ 300.00 till now.

Sent letters to Senators and Congress(wo)men.

Took part in the DC Rally.

Participated in the Letter to the President Campaign.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/23/2011
Compare
kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice

@amitjoy - Please do your part and I will do mine. Responses like these drive people away. I am not afraid nor do I expect few of you to do the work for the rest.

The fact still remains that not 100% are planning to meet their representatives. We should at least request these people to send follow up email regarding our proposed amendments. Isn't this better than doing nothing after getting standard response?

Last edited by kevin08; 11-23-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: response to amitjoy

Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Lawmakers will not support Recapture by mere sending of an email. Even if you send 10 thousand spam emails a day, they will not support Recapture. Do not expect a lawmaker office to read each and every email coming to their office and responding individually. We will likely get such automated responses from offices that sometimes will not even fully relate to what you were trying to communicate.

Sending emails is simply to start contact with the lawmaker office. It is the simplest thing to do but not an end in itself. Stay away from all kinds of misinformation out there on forums. We maybe good in our own professional area of expertise but clueless of how things work in the political process. There is a mob mentality and a brash attitude on forums that we need to avoid to really understand how advocacy process works.

The next step is to call the office and meet. Note that even calling and meeting will not convince a lawmaker to support recapture. Meeting is just the next logical step in the advocacy process. Hundreds of constituents need to meet in every state to advocate for recapture provision. If this is done, the office will favorably review our recommendation. The feedback from every meeting you will send us , will help us when we lobby that particular lawmaker in DC or help us decide if we need to even lobby that particular office in DC.

Looks like our community has very unrealistic expectations from the whole effort. Advocacy is not easy. It is a very long process and one needs to be persistent. We should not have any false notion that by sending emails, our advocacy work is done and our bill will now be on the floor.

Experienced senior members are urged to help educate others in the political and advocacy process on the forum. IV is a platform to generate awareness in our community and also guide the community in the advocacy process. There is a good guide- ' Guide to meet lawmakers ' on our website under advocacy tab on the top. read that document to prepare yourself for meeting with lawmakers.

Please feel free to contact IV if there are any questions and you need help in your lawmaker meetings.
Pappu,
If as you say, sending the email is just a first step, then
- Why frame such a lengthy letter?
- Why explain so much in the letter?

How about we send a letter like this, since they are more likely to understand amendment numbers:

Dear <lawmaker>

This is in regard to the upcoming DREAM ACT this December.

Me and my colleagues at immigrationvoice.org have the following concerns
- The benefits being accorded to children of illegal residents are exclusive to them, while there are many of us who are in the green card process, and our children do not get the same benefits because we are not here illegally.
- We believe that to fully address this issue an amendment like <insert past visa recapture amendment number(s) here> should go with the DREAM act so that people who are waiting in line do not get shoved aside by those who are not here legally

Also, I would like the opportunity to meet you to explain our issue in more detail

Sincerely,

--
IMO when we mention the amendment numbers, it will simply invoke all the arguments in that amendment and also whatever was discussed by them for that piece, and it will immediately make our issue very clear, because amendments are something they themselves drafted and officially reviewed

Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/08/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute CHHAYA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone, pls call to follow up on the letter.
If you have sought the appointment, directly contact IV. ImmigrationVoice.org - Contact Us
Pappu, I get following response from Congressman Elijah Cummings and I have taken appointment to meet some one in office on 11/29/2010.

Dear Chhaya:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Fairness for American Students Act, H.R. 4548. I appreciate hearing from my constituents on matters pending before Congress.

Immigration is a complex issue that deserves thorough exploration, and a multi-layered approach that serves American interests. To that end, I am a co-sponsor of the American Dream Act, H.R. 1751, which seeks to provide a path for legal permanent residence (LPR) for undocumented youth who graduated from high school in the United States and complete a degree program at a U.S. college or university.

The American Dream Act would repeal w 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which restricts state provision of postsecondary educational benefits to unauthorized aliens. However, this legislation does not provide blanket amnesty for undocumented students, nor does it provide benefits that similarly situated U.S. citizens are unable to access. The Dream Act would require undocumented students to become conditional permanent residents through a cancellation of removal proceeding, which they would be eligible to commence before actual removal proceedings were set into motion. To be eligible to commence a cancellation of removal proceeding, students must have obtained a diploma or equivalent from a U.S. high school, and be admitted to an institution of higher education in the United States. Students would also be required to prove they are not eligible for deportation under the Immigration Nationality Act on criminal, security, or smuggling grounds.

Once obtained, conditional permanent resident status would be valid for six years, and subject to termination. Students who obtain state postsecondary educational benefits would remain ineligible for federal Pell grants and federal supplemental educational opportunity grants until they reached legal permanent resident status. Legal permanent resident status would be obtained upon a demonstration of good moral character, continued U.S. residency over the conditional permanent residency period, and graduation from a college or university or two years of uniformed service.

There is broad-based consensus that the U.S. immigration system is broken. The number of foreign-born people residing in the United State is at the highest level in U.S. history, and as many as one-third are believed to be unauthorized or illegal immigrants. To solve this problem, we need a combination of policies, including strong border security, reasonable financial penalties, and a path to legal residency – not amnesty – that will allow us to regain our territorial sovereignty. In this regard, I am a cosponsor of H.R. 4321, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform for America's Security and Prosperity Act. This legislation will comprehensively reform our immigration laws, by providing a robust mix of tough enforcement of our laws and fairness to taxpayers. It strikes the right balance between the needs of our industries and our national security, and upholds the principles reflected in our nation's immigration history. Additionally, the legislation sets up a thorough employment verification system.

Immigration reform is crucial to American sovereignty and security. I support the American Dream Act because I recognize that the pursuit of higher education should be one of several means to establish legal residency.

I appreciate your input on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Elijah E. Cummings
Member of Congress

Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute rameshvaid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where is the material??

Quote:

Pappu: I, in my previous posts have asked some one from IV core to send me the materal, u guys claim to have it to discuss with the lawmakers. I even filled up a FORM under "Contact Us" Tab on this site but have not received an answer yet? You on the one side asking us to go and talk to them and on the other side, here I have been asking for the last few days to send me the material but have not received any. Am I not contacting the right people or doing some thing wrong? Pls. clarify..

Best..

RV

Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute GMKrishna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Response from Senator Scott Brown

Here is the response I got from Senator Scott Brown:

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your letter regarding the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act of 2009 (S. 729). As always, I value your input on this and other issues, and strive to keep you updated on the important issues facing us today.

On March 26, 2009, the DREAM Act was introduced by Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL). This bill would authorize the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security to cancel the removal of, and give conditional permanent resident status to, an alien who entered the U.S. prior to his or her 16th birthday and has lived in the U.S. for a period of 5 years. Such a resident must also meet other requirements, such as be judged to be of good moral character, not inadmissible or deportable under the Immigration and Nationality Act, be admitted to a higher education institution or have completed high school or the equivalent, never been under a final order of deportation, and be under 35 years of age at the time of this Act’s enactment.

Furthermore, the DREAM Act sets parameters for conditional permanent resident status, and the process by which one transitions from conditional to permanent residency status. Under S. 729, an undocumented alien would also be authorized to petition the Secretary for conditional permanent residency if that individual has satisfied all of the above requirements prior to the enactment of the Act. Currently, S. 729 is before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary where it awaits further consideration. While I am not a member of this committee, I will certainly monitor the progress of this bill.

As you may know, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) announced on September 14, 2010, that he would offer the DREAM Act as an amendment to the Fiscal Year (FY) 2011 Defense Authorization bill (S. 3454) as well as not allow a fair and open debate on the bill. I was disappointed that he chose to play politics with necessary support for our troops and national defense by trying to tack on the DREAM Act, which is unrelated to the daily operations of the Department of Defense. I remain committed to reforming our legal immigration system and streamlining the legal process; however, I have consistently opposed proposals that extend taxpayer benefits to those here illegally or give incentives for illegal immigration. On September 21, 2010, the Senate voted 56 to 43, where 60 affirmative votes were needed, not to move forward with debate on the Defense Authorization bill. I joined colleagues from both sides of the aisle to oppose this vote.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. As the legislative process moves forward, I will keep your thoughts in mind. If I can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me or visit my website at www.scottbrown.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
Scott P. Brown
United States Senator

Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2013
Compare
SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bump

Good Morning
I140 Receipt Date:Jul 26, '07
I140 Approved Date:Apr 8, '08
2nd I140 Receipt Date:Jul 22, '11
I140 RFE Date:Mar 6, '12
I140 Approved Date:May 23, '12
I-485 Mailed Date:Feb 6, '13 Finally
I-485 Receipt Date:Feb 7, '13
I-485 Notice Date:Feb 12, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Approval:Mar 2, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Combo Card Recd Date:Mar 8, '13 (valid for 1 year)
Finger Print Notice date:Mar 29, '13

Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
softwareguy has a spectacular aura about softwareguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Senator takes note of EB3.

Thank you for getting in touch with me. It's good to hear from you.

I appreciate your thoughts on the EB3 employment based category and its backlog. As a United States Senator, I am committed to meeting the day to day needs of Marylanders and the long-term needs of our nation. One of my guiding principles here in the Senate is that Marylanders have a right to know, to be heard, and to be represented. Information from people like you is essential if I am to be not only the Senator from Maryland, but also the Senator for Maryland.

If I can be of assistance in the future, or if there is any other federal issue on which you would like to comment, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator