Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gcnirvana is on a distinguished road

Two words: Baby Steps!
Lets target the 3 lofgren bills and then aim for the next. I like your idea but there is no way its gonna fly. So lets make phonecalls, contribute to IV and pray

BTW, can you please change the word 'stucked' to 'stuck'. I don't think there is a word like that...Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar96 View Post
Hi,
We all know that so many people are stucked due to this backlog and inefficient system. Some of them have spent over 5 years (counting from priority date) waiting for the green card. It would be worse for these people to wait additional 5 years to get their citizenship. I believe it would make sense to reduce the waiting time for these people by counting 5 years from their priority date or something of that sort. Would it make sense to work with senators and congressmen to have some kind of ruling on this front to ease this pain?
Please let us know your opinion.

Thanks
Prior Contributions: $500+
Monthly Contribution: $25
Greened on 9/3/10
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2004
Compare
485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute

sure its great for all. how will you try move this forward. we have a problem getting 200 people to make calls to support simple bills.

We all have grand ideas, have we had any successes so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humhongekamyab View Post
I think it is a very good. It is something that will help everybody.

I know Australia too has something similar to this. It is worth the try; no harm in trying.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute Green.Tech has a reputation beyond repute
Default Totally Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 485Mbe4001 View Post
sure its great for all. how will you try move this forward. we have a problem getting 200 people to make calls to support simple bills.

We all have grand ideas, have we had any successes so far?
Good idea but where is the support.

Not enough people participating in the phone campaigns!

One financial contribution per day!

Let's focus on the tasks on hand. If we get traction in the Congress with these bills, may be we will be in a strong position at that time to move on to the next great idea. Till then, for those who believe in what IV stands for (and I hope majority of us do!), please light up those phone lines and participate in the funding drive.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute wandmaker has a reputation beyond repute

Funding Drive: < 225 members contributed to funding drive out of 29,684 registered members.
Phone Call Action Item: < 100 people made a phone call out of 29,684 registered members.
Currently Active Users: 734 (177 members and 557 guests)

Nothing is free on mother earth - Support funding drive and action item - Help IV to Help you otherwise most of the skilled immigrants will have to wait for more than a decade to gain LPR.

Now the choice is yours

(1) support iv on action items and funding drive
(2) do your day-to-day work (some of them based on top threads on iv)
(2a) Check VB
(2b) Check Processing Times
(2c) Receipting Delays
(2d) Read all the forums

Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/08/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts
Default What is the advantage?

I don't see the advantage of asking USCIS to change another whole process to allow this to happen. This will delay all other current processes.
In any case, what is the immediate advantage of having US Citizenship in addition to GC? Except may be (the disadvantage) having to apply for a Visa to one's home country when you go to visit (most have no dual citizenships).

Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts
Default I already started a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar96 View Post
Hi,
We all know that so many people are stucked due to this backlog and inefficient system. Some of them have spent over 5 years (counting from priority date) waiting for the green card. It would be worse for these people to wait additional 5 years to get their citizenship. I believe it would make sense to reduce the waiting time for these people by counting 5 years from their priority date or something of that sort. Would it make sense to work with senators and congressmen to have some kind of ruling on this front to ease this pain?

Thanks
Few months ago I started a thread on this thought. There were mixed thoughts and if you want, you can merge this with that thread.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Egypt
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of

It is not an outlandish idea.. Canada already does exactly that, count the time of legal stay prior to residence approval towards the citizenship waiting period.
We can argue it doesn't break the purpose of the citizenship waiting period. That period is mainly imposed to prevent a foreign nation from quickly planting agents serving its purposes in the US, or having new voters who are not familiar with US politics.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
immique has a spectacular aura about immique has a spectacular aura about immique has a spectacular aura about

it is a good idea to work on. it is perfectly logical to think that people who have waited upto 8-9 years for their green card get some reprieve in their waiting for Citizenship. they have obeyed every law and paid taxes and contributed greatly to this country and I think the Government will be considerate to this idea. IV can include this in their goals. ofcourse our immediate goal is to work on EB backlogs, but decreasing the wait times for Citizenship makes perfect Political sense as Congressmen and Senators will be more interested in us once they realize that we will be eigible for Citizenship sooner than later. this suggestion makes perfect sense

Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts Saralayar is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralayar View Post
Few months ago I started a thread on this thought. There were mixed thoughts and if you want, you can merge this with that thread.
This topic was discussed in this thread:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18393 (Citizenship..)

Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future Dingdong has a brilliant future
Default Count GC wait time for USC

Counting wait time for green card processing (from priority date) to meet the 5 yr. time requirement for US citizenship was a good idea floated many years ago on this forum. It will help a lot of people if IV Core Team can include it in their advocacy agenda. This is a good time to do this as after CIR, it will be hard to fight for any changes.

Hi,

Thanks

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of
Default agreed

i completely agree, even in other countries if you been on work visa half of your time is counted towards citizenshiprequirements.
specially people on h1/ead should get some credit and ithink is doable.
as idea between green card and citizenship is like probation time to make sure future citizen is of good moral character etc.
we been on probation for already 10+ years,

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute

Notice the first message in thread was posted back in 2008. Though this is very important and helps every one, I do not this (only my view) this is as important as getting the LRP Status or addressing unwanted road block for getting LRP. Also IV (My opinion only) being a member / volunteer driven organization, would probably work on the more pressing item and use the resource they have efficiently and wisely. I am not from core, but would guess even the active volunteers working hard on this will benefit, but I think there focus is on the items that help the over all community and beyond self interest. If any one (folks want this asap) if they take lead on this item and do what it take, hope core IV will help.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bharad is a glorious beacon of light bharad is a glorious beacon of light bharad is a glorious beacon of light bharad is a glorious beacon of light bharad is a glorious beacon of light bharad is a glorious beacon of light
Default Start the clock for citizenship at I-140 approval, but given only after PR

5 years of wait after the PR for citizen was introduced to make sure that a person has contributed to the country economically and has developed some bonding for living in the states, and when this law was introduced, I don't think we had wait time for PR, it was given at the port of entry. I may be wrong, but this is what I assume happened.

But now, we have wait time of so many years due to backlog, wastage of Visa numbers, change in laws for per-country, I feel that we should try to solve the root cause, where in after all the legal formalities are completed like labor(where the individual comes in to fulfil a requirement), I-140 where all the paritculars are verified as thoroughly as possible and then I-485 is just a formality where in the application waits for a visa number to be alloted after background checks are completed.

I feel that the background checks are very much required to make sure proper people get into US, but at the same time we should seek for starting the clock after I-140 where the individual's application for bonding with US has been verified, and the individiual should be eligible to file for citizenship as soon as PR is approved in case the individual has waited long enough.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute

Fear its too late. There would be enough debate to realize at least some of the items that have been already proposed. As well, this is not a burning issue for many of us.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Are you guys saying IV should stop working on all items and only work on this citizenship idea? I am confused?