Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2008
Compare
vik352 will become famous soon enough vik352 will become famous soon enough
Default Online petetion to eliminate per country limits

Hi,

I feel that per country quota for EB green cards is ridiculous. A skilled worker from India and China has to wait for GC 10 years, whereas a person from ROW gets it in few years/months. I wish I had known all the delays/pains in GC processing before I started my career here. We should start an online petetion/a law suit to end this disciminatory quota and address it to President/all the congressman/all the media.

Simple questions in the online petition/law suit:

1) Do you think it is fair for a person from India/China to wait for 10 years whereas a person from other country gets it in few years?
2) When there is no per country quota in H1B visas, do you think it is fair to have it in EB visas?
3) Do you think it is fair to have the same quota for India/China compared to a small country?
4) Everyone is aware of the legal immigration problems here, atlease try to make it same for everyone.

Most of us are Ivy League or good college graduates and work in good companies. We can mention our names, school and company information in the petition. All those who don't agree with me, please dont respond.

Can IV core come up with an online petition?

Last edited by vik352; 07-01-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-01-2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
sprajulu will become famous soon enough

We all should request politely to end the specific reservations.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12-01-2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
sprajulu will become famous soon enough

We all should request politely to end this country specific reservations.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a phone call campaign going on right now to call certain members of congress to pass H.R.5921, H.R.5882 and H.R.6039 which recaptures unused GC visa numbers, eliminates the per-country quota and exempt STEM grads from the GC count. Please participate and call if you have not already and campaign with your friends/family to enlist more people (including U.S citizen colleagues of yours) to call.

As per the IV lobbyists, the online petitions and fax campaigns don't work.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Last edited by sunny1000; 07-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of

It is "petition". Thank you.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
immique has a spectacular aura about immique has a spectacular aura about immique has a spectacular aura about

online petition is a very good idea. it is bound to gain increased attention as we make our views clear. having country quotas/limits in EB system does not make any sense. if not addressed quickly the people from retrogressed countries have to wait 15-20 years before they can ever see their green card while applicants from other countries get their green cards in a few months.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute
Default What will the petition accomplish??

Online petition is a great idea. But what will it accomplish?? Ultimately all those questions have to addressed in the form of a bill and that needs to be passed in the Congress. Is it a coincidence, we already have a bill HR5921 addressing those questions raised by OP All we need to do is channel our energy to make this bill along with the other Rep. Lofgren bills a success.

IV is already raising all those questions mentioned in the petition with the lawmakers. So what is new in this petition?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2008
Compare

We already participated in the phone campaign. What else we can do in helping the Lofgren bills?
With an online petition and > 1000 signatures, we can mail the copies to media/congressman/President.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute mpadapa has a reputation beyond repute

Call U'r own lawmaker and request them to support the Lofgren bills. Talk to their leg. aide who handles immigration and appraise them about the bills. Believe me there are quite a few lawmaker offices who aren't aware of the Lofgren bills. If constituents call and request the lawmakers to support, then they will have to look into these bills. And more importantly you have to do a follow up call and find out the position of the lawmaker on the 3 bills.
Find your lawmaker by keying in U'r address or zip code at http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

1000 signatures representing a problem which impacts close to a million people isn't enough. Admin fix campaign had around 5000 letters and it wasn't enough to create any big impact. If we are having a campaign with atleast 100K signatures, then Yes I am signing in on this campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik352 View Post
We already participated in the phone campaign. What else we can do in helping the Lofgren bills?
With an online petition and > 1000 signatures, we can mail the copies to media/congressman/President.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Full Support

I completely support this idea.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2008
Compare

We already called the local lawmakers. This online petition can have two columns, one for people who are suffering because of this per country quota and other for people who support the idea (Friends/relatives/coworkers). We can start the petition and we may generate 100K signatures.
mpadapa: We will let you have the 1000001th signature

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts

I strongly support this idea. And may be we can become petition with max number of persons signing this/ set record. That way it might get more popularity

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute
Default online petitions do not provide results

We have been there and done that. If someone can get results through an online petition please be my guest and take the lead on the initiative. I will gladly wait to be 1000002'nd person signing the petition.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of moonrah has much to be proud of
Default Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpadapa View Post
Online petition is a great idea. But what will it accomplish?? Ultimately all those questions have to addressed in the form of a bill and that needs to be passed in the Congress. Is it a coincidence, we already have a bill HR5921 addressing those questions raised by OP All we need to do is channel our energy to make this bill along with the other Rep. Lofgren bills a success.

IV is already raising all those questions mentioned in the petition with the lawmakers. So what is new in this petition?
Even after thousands of calls, what if they don't pass the bill? I am not pessimistic but I want to have this pass desparately. Lets think about all the possibilities and have solutions or atleast plan for all of those. Just think about this, if someone files a lawsuit on us, we will be sweating and running here and there even though we know we are gonna win. lawsuit will make them think, make them spend money. Trust me nobody wants to go through that husstle. And if we win, they have no way but do something about per country quota limit whether congress passes the bill or not. On the downside, if we loose, they can worsen the situation for us in which case they have to face anger from business community and during election season, goverment wouldn't like to do that.

All I am saying is if we have a case we should pursue it. Otherwise there is no point of fighting loosing battle.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2008
Compare

I talked to my Professor where I did my masters and he agreed to sign the online petition. He is one of top researchers in his field. Imagine if we can get signatures from such great . Professors, outstanding Scientists, CEO's and Directors of big companies, Journalists (like the one who wrote nice article in Washington post about legal immigration) and probably Bill Gates. This would create great attention for our cause. They are lots of people out there who support legal immigration and its time to bring them together and show it to the world in a petition.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, can you just leave a message saying that you support it. At least we know how many people are interested in this forum.