Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
kommisetty is on a distinguished road

Greate Idea and fully support it even thought i may or may not buy a house for GC. Atlease the wating line will be reduced if it works out.

Sent e-mails to all that are there in the spread sheet.
TSC
I-485 RD August 7,2007;
ND Sept 28,2007;
I-140 Approved. 03/2006
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of bayarea07 has much to be proud of

Interesting Analysis from Greg Siskind

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/

COULD ELECTION YEAR POLITICS HELP RECAPTURE BILL'S CHANCES?
Yesterday, I wrote about a great bill that was introduced by Senator Menendez that would recapture hundreds of thousands of unused green card numbers, ease the strict per country limits that cause long lines for nationals of some countries and also make it easier to get a waiver when someone is subject to an unlawful presence bar.It also changes the definition of an "immediate relative" to include spouses and children of permanent residents, a provision which would be wildly popular in the Hispanic community since it would cut out the multiyear waits typical in the Family 2A category.

And, oh yeah, there's another bill that people are talking about. The E-Verify program (DHS' much discussed electronic employment verification system) expires in November.

E-Verify is the heart of the entire enforcement agenda for the antis and with Congress set to adjourn in the next week or so and with the distinct possibility that this will put off all legislation until next February or so when the new Congress comes in, getting E-Verify extended in the next few days is a huge deal. A five year extension has passed the House already. The Senate has done nothing yet.

So it was with great interest that I read in yesterday's CQ Today print edition that Senator Menendez is blocking the E-Verify reauthorization bill in order to force consideration of the recapture bill. The article describes Republicans as being infuriated and saying that the recapture bill is a nonstarter and demanding Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid bring up a clean E-Verify extension bill.

On the House side, interestingly, the recapture bill was set for a markup in the Judiciary Committee yesterday and Congressman Conyers abruptly adjourned the hearing after a bill barring horse slaughtering was finished yesterday. According to my sources, several members of the Committee were shocked that the markup on the recapture bill didn't happen even though Conyers is a strong backer of the measure. Strange.

So that has me speculating. Is something cooking with the Democratic leadership and the Obama campaign? I think the Democrats smell blood. They know John McCain is in trouble with Hispanic voters based on recent polling data. He's polling anywhere from 10 to 20 points worse than Bush did in 2004 and the Hispanic vote partially explains why Obama finds himself ahead in places like New Mexico and Colorado, states Bush won in 2004. Erosion of support in the Hispanic community could also cost McCain Florida, a state McCain cannot lose if he has any chance of winning the election.

As I reported earlier this week, the McCain campaign and congressional leaders have been clamping down on the anti-immigrant wing of the party. You didn't really think these folks suddenly decided they no longer care about this issue, did you?

What I don't think is a coincidence is the sudden reemergence of immigration in the presidential debate. Suddenly, Obama is blasting McCain on immigration and looking for more and more forums to make his claim that he's pro-immigration and his party's solidly behind him. And he's quick to remind Latinos that John McCain turned his back on them and denounced his own comprehensive immigration reform bill, something that Latino voters are now saying is one their top priorities.

McCain is asking Latino voters for a do-over and claiming that he was only pandering to his base. He was always pro-immigration. It's just politics, you understand.

As you might expect, this message is not selling particularly well. And Democrats know it. They also know that with the economy in free fall, most Americans are not thinking that much about immigration anymore and the issue has dropped back to its historically low rank on issues of concern to the typical voter. So Democrats can be more visibly pro-immigration without having to fear negative consequences.

You probably see where this is going. Provoking a confrontation over immigration with Republicans in the month of October can only have good results. Democrats might actually pass a bill they really want. And they score politically as well.

There's no time to bring up a massive comprehensive immigration reform bill between now and the election. Something smaller and simpler, but what? Oh wait, there's that recapture bill! And there's that must pass E-Verify bill. Now there's a great way to put immigration back on the front pages. Link the two and force Republicans to vote no on a pro-immigration bill likely to have a hugely positive impact in the Hispanic community if they want the E-Verify program to survive. If the Democrats can keep the two bills linked, Republicans who can't stomach more immigration will have to vote no on E-Verify, something they'll have trouble explaining to their constituents. And Republicans who think E-Verify is too important to die, will help deliver a win on the recapture bill.

And in the mean time, McCain will have to openly confront the angry antis in his party. Some of the hardliners in his party will call the provisions easing the unlawful presence waivers to be a "back door amnesty." If McCain goes against them, he'll be seen as a liar by the people in his party who he promised that he would not support an "amnesty" without enforcement first. And if he votes with the antis, it will be all the Hispanic community needs to hear to confirm they're right to support Obama.

October could be interesting.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpinto View Post
congress or the president or USCIS is not going to come and physically check whether you are staying in a house or apt ..and it is not that the original suggestion will become a law in the exact terms (I cannot imagine that there will be a law saying that only those who buy house with 20 down will get GC) ..i.e. the purpose here is to show the giving faster GC's to people who are waiting since 8 years helps the economy in some minute way. and the reverse (i.e. to make a highly paid immigrants wait in line for 8 - 10 years) does not achieve anything !! ..INFACT if there are lot of job losses and if those who are here for 8 plus years start to go back (with their bank balances) ..THEN there will be measurable losses for US ..because the IT person not only takes one job to China, India or some other place ..but also trains lot of youngsters in those places and who end up taking more jobs away ..a BIG loss (plus buys house there, pays taxes, services there) (but I guess politicians are too selfish to see that !!).
it is as simple as that !!! i.e. give people faster GC's and it helps the US ..make them sweat and keep them in limbo does not achieve anything...will it work God knows ..but it is worth trying since nothing else is happening and soon if things worsen then the GC will be meaning less for many.
Also, In the end ..if we do go back ..then atleast we will have the satisfaction that we tried everything ..
----------
on unrelated thoughts ..this wait really sucks ..for me it is almost 5 years since I applied for GC and I cannot even imagine how the people who applied in 2001 / 2002 feel.
-------- and on related point ...don't rush to buy houses if u don't have a GC (actually this makes sense for those on GC too) ..here is a point from an article by Meredith Whitney who sort of became famous after making some correct forecasts.. this article was written today.
-------
Whitney said home prices were not close to bottoming and expects prices to ultimately be at least 25 percent lower from current levels. She also sees further declines in homeownership rate.

The unemployment rate, which is up over 40 percent year-on-year in key states, is "headed materially higher," Whitney said.
Albert,
I agree with you.. We need to make the points clear, point wise too. A big letter.. some points may be missed.

Plusses:1,2,3,4.....
Negatives:...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default I made this suggestion first ... :-)

Hi All,

Just wanted to let all know, that I had made this suggestion sometime back on the IV NY yahoogroups. looks like it has gained traction since then. I ad also sent mails to Zoe Loefgren, the President and VP back then.

I have sent my mails and told all my friends to send too. lets Go For it ....

Together, We shall Overcome

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default source - immigration-law.com

Even though enactment of the visa recapture and nursing relief bills within the 110th Congress was slim, the foreign professionals watched the webcast of the hearing yesterday with a tremendous despair, adjourning the hearing without taking up these immigration bills. Guess what the last word of the Chairman was: Photo session of the Committee members on the 24th! It is gone, gone, and gone. No more glimmer of hope within this 110th Congress.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/18/2007
Compare
bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold bazuka6 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchshell View Post
Nixtor, this idea is worth trying. If people who are buyinh house can be exempted from the VB quota, this will free up extra visas and will help those people who will not buy a house.
Yes... if you have house closing statement and have been here legally and paid taxes(last X years... you are exempt from VISA cap)

Now that makes sense for a senator looking for a predictable way to solve mortgage crisis

Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute skrish has a reputation beyond repute

The logic is that you are 'putting down roots' by buying a house. If all it takes is proof of closing a mortgage, one could always turn around and sell the house. somethng like that would undermine the credibility of IV in the medium/long run.

I had initially advocated treating first time home buying as the same as marriage to an American citizen. In my opinion, that is a short,sweet,simple and sensible approach to follow that will also resonate/stick in lawmakers minds (rather than a long,rambling letter, no offense meant to the writers, it was quite well put together).

Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts
Default Fantastic idea, I support it and Govt should realize the huge benefit from it

Fantastic idea, it will bring OXYGEN to this bedridden economy. We need to contact real estate media channels like HDTV for the support to project through their media.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrish View Post
The logic is that you are 'putting down roots' by buying a house. If all it takes is proof of closing a mortgage, one could always turn around and sell the house. somethng like that would undermine the credibility of IV in the medium/long run.

I had initially advocated treating first time home buying as the same as marriage to an American citizen. In my opinion, that is a short,sweet,simple and sensible approach to follow that will also resonate/stick in lawmakers minds (rather than a long,rambling letter, no offense meant to the writers, it was quite well put together).
Ghee agar seedhi ungli... I guess you can complete..

Old 09-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

IMHO ... The reason why the bailout is needed is because credit is tight, no one has the money to lend any money to ANYONE no matter what your Credit Score is. They want money NOW and cannot wait till people will comeup and buy a home. This idea of attaching immigration related stuff will fly only if you are willing to pay a full house price and no mortgage is needed. In essence ... expanded EB5 program in the lines of the following points
1) Temporarily Increase EB5 nos to around 40,000 to 50,000.
2) Expand eligibility to persons and their dependents who buy homes worth 150% to 200% of national avg housing price at full payment.
3) Program sunsets in 1 month of enactment

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute

I was listening KNTV 10.00 PST (Sep 25) news.

... house prices will bottom out in spring 2009 ...

Anyone else to confirm that I heard correctly.

The reason I am asking that I am planning to buy house in few months. Myself delaying upto that timeframe is OK for me.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

US economy situation is alarming. I doubt they will consider any immigration related bill until financial crisis stablises.2009 will be the key.Economy has to stablise. If not anti immigrants will block any bill citing the economy as the reason. If unemployment increases every month then any immigration reform is distance possiblity.Illegal immigrants are is getting publicity every year by rally for past 4 years but nothing happened. Pro immigrants are trying to block E-verify and some other anti immigration reforms. Anti immigrants are trying to block pro immigrant reforms. So any immigration reforms will be stalled until some compromise reached by moderates

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpinto View Post
no comments from anyone on this ..I guess most of us are resigned to our fate ? no problems though since I have also given up ...GC will come when it has to ...it is better to have plan B and plan C ..(i.e. be ready to accept that there is a good chance that getting GC will become more complicated esp if there are layoff's everywhere ..I guess there is already a thread regarding issues faced by people who had to use AC21)
------
I guess most of us are angry and resigned to fate ..what if we come with a shock therapy campaign ..i.e. get thousands of legal immigrant signatures ...and say we are fed up with the broken system and we intend to give up and leave US soon .. if this gets lot of publicity then atleast someone (maybe one of the presidential candidate) will come up with a solid promise to do something ??
I have posted this in other threads to get more inputs ...I guess we need something dramatic especially when our cause is dying ...point is to get maximum publicity ..maybe flowers + the intent to leave USA

Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of
Default Response from my congressman for the email

I sent the email to my local congress man who has an anti-immigrant stance.

Here is the response I got from him( It is probably a standard response for financial crisis)

---message starts------
Thank you for contacting me regarding our country's financial crisis and the administration's bailout proposal. It is good to hear your thoughts on this very important situation facing our country and I share in your concerns.

As you know, Treasury Secretary Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke testified recently before Congress about their proposal to spend $700 billion to purchase the debt of financial institutions, improve our credit situation, and stabilize our economy. I reviewed the proposal carefully and, like you, I had serious concerns about this proposal such as the blanket authority removing Congressional or legal oversight, the implied reward for unwise financial behaviors at the expense of honest Americans, and the long-term expense to tax payers without a mechanism to press criminal charges upon those who are responsible for this situation.

As a consequence, I offered an alternative measure. According to the Department of Treasury, there are two problems that need to be addressed: the short term liquidity emergency, and the long-term toxic mortgage asset holdings. To address the liquidity emergency, my plan would reduce all personal and corporate capital gains taxes to zero percent for one year, reduce the Federal Funds Rate (FFR) to zero percent for one month with a reoccurring month to month option, and allow the Department of Treasury to loan current funds to lending institutions at the rate of inflation plus three percent or LIBOR plus three percent. This plan would get the markets moving and allow Congress adequate time to address the mortgage assets situation while we investigate those corporations or government regulators who may be criminally negligent.

One of my most important roles as your Congressman is to be a responsible steward of tax payer funds and, while my proposal remains an option, there are many proposals still being debated and it is unclear what the final product will look like. I will be sure to keep you informed of what happens as we move forward.

---message ends------

Old 09-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please send the emails

This is something IV wants to pursue and needs our support!

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/31/2007
Compare
reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute reddymjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bump

Bump