Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default And whether they should purchase a home or not

" members are more interested in how to get their maid to US, which airline to fly etc etc .." and whether they should purchase a home or not. Members spend all their time in heated arguments for and against purchasing a home. pinto, are you familiar with any such members in this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpinto View Post
Thanks h1b ...thanks everyone else for the overwhelming support. actually it seems that without core leadership / directions ..IV is fast becoming just like a chat forum or as Indian ambassador would have put -- a headless chicken.
members are more interested in how to get their maid to US, which airline to fly etc etc ..
I guess time for rest of us to lay back ...and see what fate has in store without worrying much

Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Compare
nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts
Default Getting worse

The focus is shifting from housing to economy and jobs. With 500,000+ applying jobless claims in a week is horrific. People will soon be thinking 'can we send 10+ million illegal immigrants and 1+ million legal immigrants back home to get jobs for local people'. I find it would be tough now to sell the idea that immigrants can save the economy by buying house. If some bright politician gets the idea 'why not send the immigrants home and create jobs' we all will be in trouble.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Compare
nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I don't think anything like that will happen ..first of all it is not easy at all ..definitely many will leave (especially lot of people who just crossed the borders are moving back and the joke is that they are building a wall to prevent people from leaving ).
but I do think that one way or the other something will happen in terms of faster immigration in the next year ..or else I don't know from where will they find so many buyers of houses ..look at this article about Georgia ,..which people kept saying -- that there is no bubble .
(look at the print in bold ..I am still wondering if it is a misprint or real ..117 months supply of homes !!! ..the other funny point is that bankers are running after builders with hot rods ).
----------
The housing market is so bad that some banks and builders that had been business partners are now adversaries, and experts are using the dreaded “D” word.

“In northeast Georgia we’re not in a housing recession, we’re in a housing depression,” Jim Williams, president of Southern Highlands Mortgage in Blairsville, told state lawmakers at a daylong hearing Wednesday. “The retiree market, the secondary market has all but dried up. There are no homes being built.”
• Your guide to metro Atlanta foreclosures

BUSINESS

Likewise, Eugene James, head of the Atlanta division of the research company Metrostudy, said the 22 metro counties it covers “are in a housing depression right now.

James said sales closings were down 44 percent for the third quarter, compared to the same period last year, and housing starts had plunged 67 percent. The metro area also has about 148,000 lots with infrastructure but no homes — a 117-month supply, he said.

Legislators are trying to figure out what they can do to encourage home buying and rescue residential builders. The General Assembly convenes next month, and new bills might be introduced calling for tax incentives, expanded down payment assistance or reductions in home building regulations.

“A down payment assistance obviously would be very, very beneficial to citizens,” Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said after speaking to the joint economic development committee.

A federal down payment assistance program ended last fall and the current state down payment assistance program, Georgia Dream, is limited.

Sen. Chip Pearson (R-Dawsonville), co-chairman of the meeting, was intrigued by a California rescue plan that Chuck Fuhr, Ryland Homes’ Atlanta division president, described.

In the 1990s, the California Public Employees’ Retirement System began making loans to home builders and investing in residential projects in order to turn around that state’s faltering housing market, Fuhr said. The CalPERS program was so successful, it expanded out of state, he said.

“Almost every small builder I know today has his bank knocking on the door, trying to collect his loan and put him out of business,” Fuhr said. If builders continue to fold, competition will lessen and home prices will escalate, he said.

Kurt Cannon, president of Rabun Builders and the Home Builders Association of Georgia, said at the hearing that worried bankers have turned on builders, even those with good credit, by calling in loans and threatening to sue.

Cannon presented several pages of e-mails he’s received. A Paulding County builder wrote: “The president of the bank replied back that five of the seven bank presidents in the county had lost their jobs and he was not going to lose his. ‘I am going to foreclose on the property you have here. Then I am going to come after you personally and sue you for the money you owe me and everything else you have.’”
Maybe you are right. But I think that the main problem is not housing. It is the export/import imbalance, manufacturing jobs(maybe other jobs) leaving US etc. The housing boom, which was selling and buying to each other at higher and higher prices, masked the real problem in the economy. Government can do all it can to stop the house price sliding, but then what? We cannot generate economy again by buying and selling house to each other. People are asking 'where are the real jobs?'

Old 12-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough
Default did anybody get a response on this

Can we ask Congressman Barney Frank(House Financial Services Committee Chairman) and Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren to look at this. Can IV get an appointment with them.

Immediate GC for pending EB applicants, if they buy house.

Last edited by EndlessWait; 12-15-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

We have taken these ideas to executive and legislative branches of the government. Our suggestions/proposals have been taken up at the top most level. This has been discussed more than few times with favorable consideration. Without being able to share the specifics, we have received extremely positive feedback for our suggestions. Specific events have to occur before this and similar ideas could possibly be considered in the new administration.

Thanks,

Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough EndlessWait is a jewel in the rough
Default awesome..i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
We have taken these ideas to executive and legislative branches of the government. Our suggestions/proposals have been taken up at the top most level. This has been discussed more than few times with favorable consideration. Without being able to share the specifics, we have received extremely positive feedback for our suggestions. Specific events have to occur before this and similar ideas could possibly be considered in the new administration.

Thanks,
its the right time. two birds with one stone. lets keep pushing for it. go IV

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Compare
srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light

I hope this is not our last ditch effort or one of the last chips in our possession to further our goals of Greencard.

The crisis in united states is not just housing bubble but much more than that. I am not sure if this initiative (linking greencard and purchasing home) will find much traction in government or in medai given the complexity of the mess.
The currency collapse which we used to discuss is now gathering storm now. The recent runnup in Dollar is peaking now and is in downward trend. Analysts are already up in arms arguing that United states have to take massive debt (assuming China and arab world is ready to give) or they have to print currency to finance their bailouts.

--sri

Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Housing Crisis Solutions

Thanks for the update. No need to reveal any more details. At least I know the e-mails that I sent made their way to some one who matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post

Thanks,

Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Compare
srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb

albertpinto,
I didn't mean to discourage. I meant that a better approach and much wider approach is needed to link GC and home purchase. This should not be specific to just Employement based Greencards.
There was already an interview on channel 46 (finance channel), where they talked about overhauling complete immigration system to suck the housing inventory. They threw ideas to invite almost anybody to come to united states provided they purchase a home in US.

If we approach government alone, we may find little traction. We definitely need to partner with other groups who are also in the process of opening up Immigration system and approach this administration. Thses groups could be European or asian or any country specific groups.

That being siad, sucking up housing inventory will not help the economy now at the current prices. The prices have to further come down to an extent that reflects Dollar strength, GDP prospects and countries massive debt levels. Otherwise, we will be putting in a floor to bubble that was created in housing sector.
Thanks
sri

Quote:
Sri,
do you have any better ideas ? if yes, please share. if no, then honestly such posts are discouraging.
we (immigrants) are not here to solve the world problems and as any sales / mktg person would say - the idea is to sell your case. That being said - 99.9 percent of the economists say that the economy will recover only after the housing backlog is cleared ..The policymakers realise this and hence they are showering incentives (almost 10, 000 dollars tax credit, reducing mortgage rates, HUD, LUD etc etc)
all the above are expensive to tax payers ...the cheapest way (not that it will solve all the backlog issue - but it will help greatly ..btw Greenspan had said that even if 200 - 300K houses were to be taken off the inventory, then it would greatly help ) ..the cheapest way is to just clear the backlog of immigration ..and it is well documented that once people get permanent residence status in US (or any country), the first thing they do is buy houses.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungalee43 View Post
Thanks for the update. No need to reveal any more details. At least I know the e-mails that I sent made their way to some one who matters.
Thanks jungalee, for writing on this issue, that makes two of us. I think everything done by over 1000/2000 people together and every subject covered in letters from over 1000/2000 people makes it to the top. Most half educated (which is worst than illiterate) usually give priority to their petty differences and find reasons not to participate, which is why they remain "wise fools".

It will definately help to draw attention to our issues if more people in the community will participate.

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute diptam has a reputation beyond repute
Default So,whats the deal ?

Is the new Obama Administration going to consider "Instant GC" if we buy a House ? I'm thinking about the huge inventory of vacant house and how many could be bought up by GC holders... Its probably a fraction - Isn't it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju View Post
Thanks jungalee, for writing on this issue, that makes two of us. I think everything done by over 1000/2000 people together and every subject covered in letters from over 1000/2000 people makes it to the top. Most half educated (which is worst than illiterate) usually give priority to their petty differences and find reasons not to participate, which is why they remain "wise fools".

It will definately help to draw attention to our issues if more people in the community will participate.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptam View Post
Is the new Obama Administration going to consider "Instant GC" if we buy a House ? I'm thinking about the huge inventory of vacant house and how many could be bought up by GC holders... Its probably a fraction - Isn't it ?
At the risk of getting red dots - few critical roadblocks come to mind:

1. The crisis right now is way beyond housing - its about basic issues like employment, consumption and credit (buying vacant houses does not raise employment) - fundamental issues would need to be addressed first before Govt can do something that even remotely looks and smells like (howsoever untrue it might be) giving preference to immigrants over Americans. Also what happens when renters enmasse vacate apartments and buy houses - it drives rental companies into bankruptcy - so catch 22 - no?

2. Credit criteria have been made very stringent by banks and lending institutions - so a lot of people may not qualify.......many people are in risk of losing jobs - they may not want to convert their liquid savings into a 20% illiquid (houses dont sell overnight and you cannot convert your investment to cash easily) downpayment towards houses....so not sure how many will actually want to spend that money now.....what if you get ur GC by buying a house and subsequently lose job and cant find alternative job - house cant feed you and the family nor can it pay mortgages.....

3. Any legislation that goes against principles of natural justice and creates an elite class based on financial criteria is difficult to pass through legislature.....
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default See on Yahoo finance

Now on the main page of yahoo finance. They are proposing the same thing that IV is - To give immigrants chance to buy houses

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...LT,TOL,DHI,PHM

This can be really good point for use by IV since it has caught the attention of mainstream media now . Available at finance.yahoo.com

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this issue is finally getting some attention in both the lobbysphere and in the legislature. I was pleasantly surprised to see this on the yahoo techticker.
It is actually a very sensible partial solution. I hope it will be a part of a multipronged strategy to solve this. I am under no illusion that we alone can solve this, but we can help.
We are already an integral part of this economy but being prevented from contributing fully to it, by purchasing homes and investing into it. It hardly seems a radical approach to integrate us fully by giving green cards if we buy homes. Those who have secure jobs and rare skills are the ones who will buy. Those immigrants will help near and longer term.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Please digg it...

All,

I have created DIGG article for this, Please digg it.

http://digg.com/business_finance/How...igrants_to_B_2

Add this/your comment that involve the backlogged legal community already working in the USA, instead of more H1's. Thank you!

Why is Gary looking outside of USA to tap potential home buyers? Just for folks who aren't aware - there are 500,000 high skilled legal immigrant already in USA who are waiting in queue for numbers of years to get their Permanent Residency. Thanks to the limited visa availability based on country chargeability (birth of applicant) and inefficiency of immigration system, these highly skilled, tax paying and law abiding immgrants are waiting for their Green Card (Permanent residency). Some of them have studied here, worked here for years and US is almost a second home to them. They are sitting on pile of cash, Yes - PILE OF HARD CASH. They wouldn't buy house or any big ticket items until they get Green card. Why not give these people, who are already part of our system, conditional Permanent Residency who buy houses. This will also get us immediately required cash and home inventory will go down as much as 300K at minimum. P.S. I AM TALKING ABOUT HIGH SKILLED LEGAL IMMGRANTS AND NOT ABOUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
U.S. STEM Graduate been here since 1997 | >$15k for GC w/no end in sight

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin, July 4th, 1776

Last edited by cygent; 12-19-2008 at 10:27 PM.