Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute cygent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpinto View Post
Thanks Cygent for posting it ...I guess there is some hope after all .. ..
Yes, there always will be, Thanks albertpinto. To quote Shawshank Redemption - Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Good Weekend Everybody!
U.S. STEM Graduate been here since 1997 | >$15k for GC w/no end in sight

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin, July 4th, 1776
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future
Default How many are we really?- Let's count

Guys,

I feel that we still do not have any concrete numbers on how many of us are still waiting for the I-485 approval.

I propose we start a campaign where each member sends a letter to an IV PO Box with information that can be tracked and verified. I do not believe that a data base of anonymous unverifiable members can be presented as credible evidence to Senators, Reps, home builders associations etc. in support of our case.

Some information can be:
1. Phone number - Yes, if you are serious about this, then you better be willing to provide this information. No more anonymous BS.
2. State, County and Zip Code
3. Current Immigration Status
4. I-140 approved: Yes/No
5. I-485 pending: Yes/No
6. Number of dependents
7. Do you own a house: Yes/No
8. Will you consider buying a house if GC is approved? Yes/No
9. Profession
10. Expected 2007 year Taxes - (1) State (2) Federal

We can add more fields if needed.

Now, this information can be presented in a numerous ways, for example:

1) There are X number of applicants whose Immigrant petition has been approved, have paid $$$ in taxes, have bought houses and are actively contributing to the local community.

2) There are X number of applicants in the nation whose Immigrant petition has been approved and they are waiting for their GC to buy a house

2) There are X number of applicants in your state, who have paid $$$ in taxes, have their GC pending, and are willing to buy a house in your county when GC is approved

I understand that there are two challenges here:
1) Getting people to write to IV
2) Collecting the data. I have some thoughts on this:
- Perhaps we can have a PO Box for each region
- We can have the state leader, and a couple of others go through this information
- We could have a data base where this information can then be added. Or, just have an Excel spread sheet for each state, to start with. One could write a script to read the Excel worksheets and enter the information in a Postgres like data base.

I think data collection and organization is doable. The hard part is getting the community involved.

Any thoughts guys?

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

PD and EBI/II/III shlould be ad to the above list.

$$$ Contributions:

Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare

albertpinto,

I agree that it is not going to be easy - but I don't see any other way.

It is easy to throw numbers - 200K, 500K waiting, 750K apps received etc. etc., but unless there is evidence to back it up, these numbers mean nothing. What is our answer to a Senator who asks how many people are waiting in line Eb category? And what is the source of that data?

How else can we estimate how much money we are paying every year in taxes and contributing to the growth of the economy? Or, how many really intend to buy a house on receipt of the Green Card?

Perhaps we can think of some other strategy to arrive at some concrete numbers - but I sincerely don't think a database of anonymous unverifiable members is of much use. By the way, when I said verifiable, I meant that if a representative from a senators office were to randomly call a number from the database, he would find a legal immigrant at the other end who is trying to find his way through this process.

I like the idea of a temporary green card - there has been talk about it in the forums in the past. We could also consider pitching the idea of "expedited/early evaluation/adjudication", of the I-485, for a fee. The main point could be:
- For a fee, you will know for sure whether all your paperwork/interview work is complete, the case has been adjudicated, and your application is waiting only for a visa umber.
- Once the case is adjudicated - the USCIS sends you a letter that it is complete. Now can do almost anything with your EAD/AP - work for any employer, any field, any state, study, start a business etc.

The USCIS can define the criteria for accepting cases for early evaluation, such as:
- PD older than 3 years
- Buying a house etc.
- Attempting to start a business, changing job, going back to school to enhance skills etc.

Any other thoughts, any one?

Quote:
I will be surprised if you get many mails - if you are asking people to reveal their phone numbers and the estimated taxes - how many will send mails ? and how can you verify what is being sent ??
the main point should be keep it simple !!!
-- I suggest this ...
1) come up with a plan ..either to send letters to media or logfren or both ..tell them about GC and housing and to speed up the process for those already here (rather than increasing h1 - which is controversial during slowdowns).
at the very least give us temporary green cards (if they cannot do a recapture) ..this temp card should be similar to permanent GC ..but it should give the applicant the freedom from RFE's etc (I know these sound difficult ..but it is new year and who knows Santa may grant us our wish ).

2) give them approx figure that there are 300k families who are planning to buy house sooner or later ..but the GC is preventing them.
3) the other main point is to keep on increasing IV's member ship by telling everyone about this campaign ..maybe we need the dedication like the AMway guys to increase membership !!
(also ..please post on one thread and keep only one thread active at a time).

$$$ Contributions:

Last edited by amsgc; 12-21-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsgc View Post
albertpinto,

I agree that it is not going to be easy - but I don't see any other way.

It is easy to throw numbers - 200K, 500K waiting, 750K apps received etc. etc., but unless there is evidence to back it up, these numbers mean nothing. What is our answer to a Senator who asks how many people are waiting in line Eb category? And what is the source of that data?

How else can we estimate how much money we are paying every year in taxes and contributing to the growth of the economy? Or, how many really intend to buy a house on receipt of the Green Card?

Perhaps we can think of some other strategy to arrive at some concrete numbers - but I sincerely don't think a database of anonymous unverifiable members is of much use. By the way, when I said verifiable, I meant that if a representative from a senators office were to randomly call a number from the database, he would find a legal immigrant at the other end who is trying to find his way through this process.

I like the idea of a temporary green card - there has been talk about it in the forums in the past. We could also consider pitching the idea of "expedited/early evaluation/adjudication", of the I-485, for a fee. The main point could be:
- For a fee, you will know for sure whether all your paperwork/interview work is complete, the case has been adjudicated, and your application is waiting only for a visa umber.
- Once the case is adjudicated - the USCIS sends you a letter that it is complete. Now can do almost anything with your EAD/AP - work for any employer, any field, any state, study, start a business etc.

The USCIS can define the criteria for accepting cases for early evaluation, such as:
- PD older than 3 years
- Buying a house etc.
- Attempting to start a business, changing job, going back to school to enhance skills etc.

Any other thoughts, any one?
In my view that sets the bar too low for us. You can never get any certainty with an EAD/AP, with a green card one is considered a "probationary American". With this sort of request, there will be a "probationary period to probationary citizenship".
At this juncture, if you are in a secure job and can hold that job, especially if other jobs depend on yours, and feel secure enough to buy a home in this country, you are a tremendous asset to this country at this time.......period.
The skills, savings mentality, strong family values, capital and international contacts that we possess are a net plus to this country.
I have not come to this country to beg for anything, I have come to benefit myself while benefiting America. There are synergies here for us and any fair minded person will see this. Only narrow minded people who have a zero sum mindset eg Lou Dobbs can't see this. If an EB5 investor, a spouse of a citizen, and other categories can get a green card right away, why would a similar option not be afforded someone who will in a substantially tangible way benefit the economy near and long term. The American public will embrace this if presented to them in the appropriate way.

Last edited by alterego; 12-21-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1996
Chargeability
:
Belize
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1996
Compare
gclove is on a distinguished road
Default Housing Crisis and EB Visa backlog

If the numbers are re-captured and EB rules little liberalized, assuming each H1b visa holder waiting for status adjustment spends an amount of $250,000 on a house, the total economic activity for 500,000 H1b visa holders will be $125b. This much money will come back to US, because most of us are either investing in our home countries or elsewhere but not in buying a house in the US. So, if this point is brought to the notice of the Congress members, they may take favorable steps to help.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts Sheila Danzig is infamous around these parts
Default houses or fees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri1309 View Post
I would still puruse removing quotas unconditionally. Not everyone will want to buy a house here. We can always propose buying houses will help fix housing crisis, but that shouldnt be a must.
Instead, I would suggest pay $5K or $10K to expedite it. I am sure many people want to take this. If we are talking about 500,000 people, then with a $5K premium processing, it will generate $2,500,000,000. Is that 2.5 billion.. Not bad. This step wioll not hurt many.

Sri.
This is a good idea but it won't help the housing crisis or the economy. It may not be viewed as fair to change the quota simply for those with money to pay a "fee." However, buying a home can put a floor under the housing prices and support the economy.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare
vdesi is on a distinguished road
Default Just like legalizing illegal aliens

According to this all H1B's who want to buy a house ? can invest $40,000 should be given a GC out of turn.... Wow!
What about people waiting in line patiently for five plus years, (labor, I140 and I485)?
The line for those waiting patiently will not decrease, only people on bench for months willing to get GC at any cost will benefit.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Danzig View Post
This is a good idea but it won't help the housing crisis or the economy. It may not be viewed as fair to change the quota simply for those with money to pay a "fee." However, buying a home can put a floor under the housing prices and support the economy.
Premium processing is the word, taught by USCIS.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future
Default I agree

[quote=gclove;308031]If the numbers are re-captured and EB rules little liberalized, assuming each H1b visa holder waiting for status adjustment spends an amount of $250,000 on a house, the total economic activity for 500,000 H1b visa holders will be $125b. This much money will come back to US, because most of us are either investing in our home countries or elsewhere but not in buying a house in the US. So, if this point is brought to the notice of the Congress members, they may take favorable steps to help.[/QUOTE

I believe so

Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2003
Chargeability
:
Germany
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/03/2003
Compare
Tito_ortiz is infamous around these parts Tito_ortiz is infamous around these parts Tito_ortiz is infamous around these parts

Alan Greenspan outlined his ideas recently that relaxing laws for legal, skilled immigration could be one effective way to minimize inventory for 800,000+ unsold homes, since one of the first things skilled immigrants do is buying homes - and the difference is that generally skilled immigrants can afford them.

However, there are credible reports that the US economy should be down for years to come. It is a catch 22. Anti-immigration sentiment should be increased along with protecionism as the unemployment rate goes up.

Anyone has any records on levels of immigration going up as the economy worsens? I doubt that is practical.

Good luck to us all!

Quote:
the only hope that one can see is that maybe more and more economists will start linking immigration and housing. (i.e. just speed up the process and avoid wastage ..I don't think giving GC only to those who buy will work).
I guess IV never gave this idea the seriousness / importance that it deserved ..and that in my view is a missed / lost opportunity. In one of my posts approximately 8-9 months ago -- I did convey this to Mark B ..but he said ..this can be mentioned only lightly or for few seconds when meeting senators (or something like that).
-----------
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...er-20-Percent?
--------------------
Posted Jan 06, 2009 08:30am EST by Aaron Task in Investing, Recession, Housing
Shilling: Housing Market Could Fall Another 20 Percent

The already crumbling housing market could plummet an additional 20%, says Gary Shilling, president of A. Gary Shilling & Co., and author of the popular INSIGHT newsletter.

Although housing is already down 25% peak-to-trough based on the latest S&P/Case-Shiller numbers, there's no near-term bottom in sight, says Shilling, one economist who presciently saw the crash coming.

Excess inventory - nearly a year's worth supply - is the "mortal enemy" of any recovery in housing, says Shilling, who does not believe the Fed's efforts to lower mortgage rates will resolve the crisis.

Barring a prolonged period of weaker prices, Shilling believes only radical action - like bulldozing homes or letting immigrants into America to buy homes - can solve the crisis, as detailed here last month.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of

[quote=gbof;308971]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gclove View Post
If the numbers are re-captured and EB rules little liberalized, assuming each H1b visa holder waiting for status adjustment spends an amount of $250,000 on a house, the total economic activity for 500,000 H1b visa holders will be $125b. This much money will come back to US, because most of us are either investing in our home countries or elsewhere but not in buying a house in the US. So, if this point is brought to the notice of the Congress members, they may take favorable steps to help.[/QUOTE

I believe so
Let me present a contrarian view

First - all 500K H1 holders are not interested in/may have already bought a house - i know of at least 3 H1/L1 visa holders in my neighborhood who own houses. Second - a house is typically bought by a family and not an individual - so those who are yet single may not find it attractive enough. Many married couples (and hence the target audience) have both spouses on H1 - so no of potential houses sold <no of H1 holders.

Third - its not true that H1 holders send most money home or invest elsewhere - people put savings in banks here also and invest locally as well in 401k/IRA etc.

Fourth - when some one buys a house - mostly they pay only around 20% down payment - rest is credit - the real problem right now is lack of credit in the market.

So, in the end - if this program results in sale of say 100,000 houses - this translates into 5Bn of cash (20% down payment) coming out of bank accounts/ savings and put into housing system......not even a drop in comparison to the extent of spending that the Federal Govt has already done and Mr Obama is planning to do in near future.
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007

Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

This issue of home buying/ownership linked to a visa recapture numbers is a good one. There has been a conditional recapture proposed before. Recapture for schedule A, recapture for X fee, were previously done/proposed. Besides, investor visas are premised on similar conditionality. It is not a crazy idea. The visa numbers exist for recapture as well and after last year many legislators know it too.
Today's ADP data shows terrible news of 633K job losses in Dec. 08. Against this backdrop, only a potentially positive contribution demonstrable from us can allow extra EB numbers. Other arguments have the least merit.
This issue deserves consideration in the stimulus bill. It could definitely be a part of a package to revive the housing industry. If 10 such steps are taken all at once, other examples are lower interest rates, tax credits, mortgage relief for pre foreclosure homes, basically the whole cabana of ideas needs to be thrown at this problem and now. Failing this, Shiller is correct, this will get worse and the US economy will take years, perhaps up to a decade to recover.
I would honestly feel good as an immigrant to know that I have contributed to this country economically in this way. This is truly a win win scenario. Even if it turns out I bought at say 20% over the bottom, provided I have the tenure to wait 15-20 yrs, get a mortgage at 4.5% locked, have the opportunity to live a good lifestyle in a good home, realistically have you lost in that scenario?

I hope we get some traction with this issue, since I see little other hope for EB immigration relief in the near term.

Last edited by alterego; 01-07-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2009
Compare
Default Think about it

I was thinking about this and bounced this idea off my friend a second generation US citizen. His views were no Congressman or Senator will be associated with this, as no one wants to go to the American people and say "OK now that the H1B's got your job and you can't afford your house so we are going to let them buy it".
I think at times like these we need to keep our big mouths shut tight and do nothing except pray that we have our jobs.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdesi View Post
I was thinking about this and bounced this idea off my friend a second generation US citizen. His views were no Congressman or Senator will be associated with this, as no one wants to go to the American people and say "OK now that the H1B's got your job and you can't afford your house so we are going to let them buy it".
I think at times like these we need to keep our big mouths shut tight and do nothing except pray that we have our jobs.
If they ie most US Citizens/Representatives take this view, then I sense nothing but an economic depression. That is protectionism pure and simple. We are not asking for a total opening up of the gates. We are saying we are here, legitimately, we are able and willing to help, and we have suffered the effects of gov't wastage through bureaucratic processing delays.
The US labor market is over 150 million. H1bs are less than 100K yearly. Do you really think we are the cause of this foreclosure crisis? Don't you think that outsourcing which has no cap might be a bigger problem for job losses here? Don't you think automation and productivity gains might be more causal? Will the US try to stop the latter to preserve jobs too?
Don't you think that jobs are created some by those with better skills? What really is the unemployment rate in the college educated here?
Now I understand perception is reality, but if protectionism is the result of this downturn, I am sorry for all of us. Noone wins.

Last edited by alterego; 01-07-2009 at 02:16 PM.