Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default UPDATE: Success! ITIN families will get the stimulus this time

UPDATE: Our efforts to have the discriminatory language removed was successful!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Action item. Contact your congressman or senator to complain about this. I am talking to a lawyer who wants examples of people who will be affected. If you want me to send him your information, PM me.

Stimulus seeks to bar illegals from tax credit

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS – 33 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Illegal immigrants without Social Security numbers could not get tax credits under the $800 billion-plus economic stimulus package making its way through Congress.

A senior GOP congressional official expressed concern Thursday that the bill could steer government checks to undocumented workers, but in fact the measure prevents anyone without a Social Security number from claiming tax credits of $500 per worker and $1,000 per couple. It also expressly disqualifies nonresident aliens.

The Republican spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. But Democrats were quick to reject the notion.

"This legislation is directed toward people who are legal in our country. It is about time the Republicans got a different piece of reading material and get off this illegal immigrant stuff," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. "This bill has nothing to do with anything illegal as far as immigration. It creates jobs for people who are lawfully in this country."

A revolt among GOP conservatives to provisions of last year's economic stimulus bill, which sent rebate checks to most wage earners, forced Democratic congressional leaders to add stricter eligibility requirements. That legislation, enacted in February 2008, required that people have valid Social Security numbers in order to get checks.

The current plan imposes the same limits for the tax credit as are in place for the Earned Income Tax Credit, a program for low-income workers.

Republicans have already criticized the economic recovery package for including what they argue is wasteful spending and omitting tax cuts for wealthier people and businesses they say are needed to jump-start the anemic economy.

Not a single Republican voted for an $819 billion version of the plan when it passed the House on Wednesday.

GOP senators voiced their concerns at a midday news conference.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., criticized the tax credit — which would go to millions of Americans who don't make enough money to pay federal income taxes — as insufficient to stimulate the economy.

"Calling a rebate to people who don't pay income taxes a tax cut doesn't make it a tax cut," Kyl said.

(This version CORRECTS Corrects to reflect that Social Security numbers are required to claim tax credit, ADDS Democratic response. Moving on general news and financial services.)

Last edited by Totoro; 02-18-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Please contact your Congressmen/senator on this. Make sure this time we are getting the stimulus...We are not illegal and we do not need to give up our rights.

Also don’t forget to call our savior Zoe Lofgren. If you couldn’t call please visit and write to her in this web site (this works only for her connstituents).

http://lofgren.house.gov/

San jose office - 408-271-8700
D.C Office - 202-225-3072

Last edited by snathan; 01-29-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't understand..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
Illegal immigrants without Social Security numbers could not get tax credits under the $800billion-plus economic stimulus package
The only group affected will be the one having dependants without SSN. I am sure people who got EAD, must have got SSN too.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/07/2007
Compare
PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute PresidentO has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post
The only group affected will be the one having dependants without SSN. I am sure people who got EAD, must have got SSN too.
These tax breaks will make it directly into our paycheck every month/bi weekly. If W-4 is up to date, you get them. We dont put the ITIN or SSN in the W-4 for dependents. Do we? This is unlike the tax rebate, which was a one time thing.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of
Default details please

Which stimulus bill? I am loosing track of them!

Can somebody post the bill number and possibly some details such as - where is it in the legislative process, the objectionable sections, etc. I can write to my local Representative as well as the Senators from my state. Need to know the details to compose a meaningful letter.
If anybody else has written a letter, please post here.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute Totoro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarslave View Post
Which stimulus bill? I am loosing track of them!

Can somebody post the bill number and possibly some details such as - where is it in the legislative process, the objectionable sections, etc. I can write to my local Representative as well as the Senators from my state. Need to know the details to compose a meaningful letter.
If anybody else has written a letter, please post here.
Thanks.
I have written a letter, but it contains a lot of personal information that I would rather not post. Basically I outlined how we are already at a disadvantage because family members cannot work and that this rule specifically punishes families. I also noted how last year congress feigned ignorance about how the rule would affect legal immigrants, but the Democrats are continuing the same Republican discriminatory policies.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of whitecollarslave has much to be proud of

What is the bill number? I thought there was a stimulus bill already passed by the House in the last day or two.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarslave View Post
What is the bill number? I thought there was a stimulus bill already passed by the House in the last day or two.
The Bill is HR 1. It was originally written as follows:

Subtitle A—Making Work Pay
2 SEC. 1001. MAKING WORK PAY CREDIT.
3 (a) IN GENERAL.—Subpart C of part IV of sub4
chapter A of chapter 1 is amended by inserting after sec5
tion 36 the following new section:
6 ‘‘SEC. 36A. MAKING WORK PAY CREDIT.
7 ‘‘(a) ALLOWANCE OF CREDIT.—In the case of an eli8
gible individual, there shall be allowed as a credit against
9 the tax imposed by this subtitle for the taxable year an
10 amount equal to the lesser of—
11 ‘‘(1) 6.2 percent of earned income of the tax12
payer, or
13 ‘‘(2) $500 ($1,000 in the case of a joint re14
turn).
15 ‘‘(b) LIMITATION BASED ON MODIFIED ADJUSTED
16 GROSS INCOME.—
17 ‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The amount allowable as a
18 credit under subsection (a) (determined without re19
gard to this paragraph) for the taxable year shall be
20 reduced (but not below zero) by 2 percent of so
21 much of the taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross in22
come as exceeds $75,000 ($150,000 in the case of
23 a joint return).
24 ‘‘(2) MODIFIED ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME.—
25 For purposes of subparagraph (A), the term ‘modi-
VerDate 0ct 09 2002 22:48 Jan 23, 2009 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 00254 Fmt 6652 Sfmt 6201 C:\TEMP\HR1.XML HOLCPC
January 23, 2009 (10:48 p.m.)
F:\IBF\111\HR1.XML
f:\VHLC\012309\012309.236.xml (421348|6)
1 fied adjusted gross income’ means the adjusted
2 gross income of the taxpayer for the taxable year in3
creased by any amount excluded from gross income
4 under section 911, 931, or 933.
5 ‘‘(c) DEFINITIONS.—For purposes of this section—
6 ‘‘(1) ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL.—The term ‘eligible
7 individual’ means any individual other than—
8 ‘‘(A) any nonresident alien individual,
9 ‘‘(B) any individual with respect to whom
10 a deduction under section 151 is allowable to
11 another taxpayer for a taxable year beginning
12 in the calendar year in which the individual’s
13 taxable year begins, and
14 ‘‘(C) an estate or trust.
15 Such term shall not include any individual unless the
16 requirements of section 32(c)(1)(E) are met with re17
spect to such individual.

BUT they are revising it to include the same requirements as Bush's stimulus bill, which means they are revising it to include the "valid number" requirement to exclude ITIN families.

Full text of the original bill BEFORE the changes.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/HR1.pdf

Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aupadh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentO View Post
These tax breaks will make it directly into our paycheck every month/bi weekly. If W-4 is up to date, you get them. We dont put the ITIN or SSN in the W-4 for dependents. Do we? This is unlike the tax rebate, which was a one time thing.
You will get the money but it is your responsibility to file correct returns for 2009. Now if the ITIN disqualification clause is applied this bill you will owe the money to IRS and have to pay it back.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/09/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold

what stupidity is this, why should we pay back to IRS, the stimulus amount, we definetly need to raise our concern, we are legally working here and we need stimulus too...

Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupadh View Post
You will get the money but it is your responsibility to file correct returns for 2009. Now if the ITIN disqualification clause is applied this bill you will owe the money to IRS and have to pay it back.
I warned about this slippery slope. They will continue to take away tax credits from immigrants until there are none left. What is next, child tax credits? Mortgage credits? I get the hint. The US government does not want us here, especially if you look different or have an accent.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/12/2006
Compare
a_tyagi26 is a jewel in the rough a_tyagi26 is a jewel in the rough a_tyagi26 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I warned about this slippery slope. They will continue to take away tax credits from immigrants until there are none left. What is next, child tax credits? Mortgage credits? I get the hint. The US government does not want us here, especially if you look different or have an accent.
I dont think its the US government. It is the anti immigrant groups who do not want us here. If Govt didn't want us here they can easily abolish h1b and any EB green card program.

For these tax rebates they do not even realise (or we are so small in numbers that they don't want to realise) that they are doing it. Problem is even illegal immigrants have ITIN and it is very understandable that they do not want to pay to those who did not contribute and are here illegaly. Now we are getting grinded because they have no way to find out who is illegal and who is not. Unless USCIS gets involved there is no way to find out. IRS does'nt know, employer does not care. Those who are illegal have other things to worry about than $500 in a year. I was upset I could not get my $1200 last year but than I just compromised thinking its like a tax that I have pay for as long as I am here.

Now the trade off is, should we just make some money and go back home or do we go through this painful process of green card? Choice is ultimately ours. For those who want to stay in this country all their life it might be worth fighting to remove all these unfair practices against colored or accented people. For others its might not be worth spending their life to earn a right to live in this country.

In coming months/years who knows how USD will react to economic crisis. Given the way Indian economy is growing, in few years it might not be worth it to come to US and go through it. Save loads of money for next few years, learn the best possible skills to be useful in India, and then live with your family and your people in India. In the meantime if you get green card then consider it as a back up or else leave it on fate. Fate brought you here and it must have good things in store for you as well. Enjoy the life.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tyagi26 View Post
In coming months/years who knows how USD will react to economic crisis. Given the way Indian economy is growing, in few years it might not be worth it to come to US and go through it.
The same is true in Canada. The economy is way ahead of the US. More and more, I am regretting my decision to move to the US. My employer has been no help at all. First they promise to help get a green card then find excuses not to. Time to move on, but that is never an easy thing to do.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2011
Compare
designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute designserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back home!!!

The trip to US is going way below our expectations....The only good thing seems to be that the kids seem to like it here...No doubt we make money,however,if things will go the way it is going on now then it is time to bid a big farewell and go back to India.If we have one year of recession,you get to lose money that you have saved over 3-5 years.Now,that is not we came here for!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
balamasti is on a distinguished road

We are in the same boat, and I came across this forum via google as well.

As per the below post today I tried apply SSN for my wife (H4) but I returned with no luck they are not accepting the evidence I have taken with me saying H4 are not eligible.

So we will loose the stimulus amount? This really is bad.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...8&postcount=75

Evidence of documents I have taken are

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Hom...2/422-0104.htm and
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

I am happy to join the group to get something done. I will keep my eyes on the board for further action.

Thanks to everyone who is spearheading this.

Last edited by balamasti; 02-02-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Changed links