Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
El_Guapo will become famous soon enough
Default Think Big!!

I am new to this community and have been watching some other forums online, but I am glad we have one dedicated for EB immigration. Way to go Immigration Voice!!!

Now, before anyone jumps at me, I promise to contribute for IV's efforts and donate for the various projects in a couple days.


The reason I am posting this is because I saw various threads with various ideas to gain visibility and make out cause known to all. I saw thready ranging from writing to senators to sending a 1 cent check everyday to sending a voided check for a big amount. Other notable ideas include sending flowers, calling senators, FOIA campaign, writing to the Obama administration, etc. While I agree that each of these actions contribute small drops to the ocean, I honestly think we should think BIG!!


I have analyzed EB Immigration considerably and here are my thoughts -

Anti-Immigrants, especially the ones against EB Immigration feel that we take away their jobs. However our defense against that is there's aren't that many skilled immigrants for certain skill set and hence we fill that void and keep corporate America competitive. However a lot of us argue that we who are waiting in line for our potential Green Cards pay our taxes and aide by the law, etc. All valid arguments. However, that doesn't make us any different than the majority of the 90% workforce that is employed. They all pay taxes too.

I have seen other ideas being floated around where they said "Buy a house, get a green card." Now, two issues with this - How many of us potential immigrants have 250 grand to invest in a house? I don't and can perhaps pay 5-10% down payment on a house. But if I lose my job, then I will be forced to default too and that doesn't help the economy. Also, there are more than 10 million homes in foreclosure and even hypothetically, let's say we will buy a house on a mortgage at 10% down. There are, say 1 million immigrants in waiting including dependents. And we buy 500,000 homes. That is a small dent in the entire real estate economy. Won't make a significant difference. Secondly, the current mess we are in was caused by the "sub prime" mortgage loans. If you know what "sub prime" means, then you probably know the areas where these houses were purchased. Have you seen the neighborhoods or the areas where these houses are foreclosed? A majority of us won't even drive through there, leave alone buying houses there. So obviously, us buying homes is not going to solve this economic mess. If you still insist, then you perhaps need to take a class on economics 101.

OK, say why am I saying all this? Well, for one, while its great that we put our brains to work to help solve the economic crisis, since a good economy has a knock on effect on immigration, but we can't come up with ordinary ideas. These are extraordinary times and we need extraordinary ideas. We need to think out of the box. I appreciate the efforts of IV with the FOIA drive, but here's my question with that - Besides knowing how long the wait is going to be to get our GC based on the information from USCIS, what other purpose is the FOIA going to solve? Probably not much. But I do agree that having those numbers helps us in identifying where we need to focus our lobbying efforts. If we know the bottleneck is EB2-EB3 spillover, we can work on that with USCIS.

Someone mentioned in another thread where we all need to concentrate on one effort rather than be divided in multiple efforts. And I think it was suggested that we focus on visa numbers recapturing. I think its a great idea. However, please be aware that in the context of CIR, EB immigration is a small drop. And hence any lobbying to increase/recapture visa numbers need to be done with the FB immigration. EB and FB together can lobby for the recapture visa numbers project and might achieve considerable success.

If we as EB immigrants need to make our voice known, we need to take a leaf out of the President's book, from his campaign. He started a grass roots level campaign and look at where that has led him to!! So here is my suggestion for a project that will highlight our cause and lead some of the anti- EB Immigration Aholes to shut up their various holes.

I am assuming we have around 500K immigrants in waiting. Let's say there are 250K primary applicants. The goal is we try to get an email database of as many potential immigrants we can. Next we start an email campaign highlighting a story of an immigrant family or a news article against immigration or lobbying by anti immigrant groups or lack of visibility in ongoing discussions on CIR. At the bottom of each email, we have a donate button that takes the person to IV's donation page/paypal, whatever it might be. We start with a minimum of $50 and go upwards to $500. The goal is if we have atleast, say 100,000 potential immigrants to contribute a min of $50, then if my calculations are in order, that is about $5 Millions. We might have more depending on how many more people contribute and how much more than the min $50 that people contribute. But the baseline collection would be about $5 Million. OK, so what do we with that money? Well, the biggest skill set for us EB immigrants are our education. We have a minimum of a bachelors degree and have a penchant for being well educated. That is the weakness in the American education system - Education. We say thousands of high school dropouts. Thousands of college drop outs. The Obama administration has clearly said they need to invest in America's future. And hence they have a big ambitious spending on fixing the educational system. I know that as non permanent residents or citizens, we are not allowed to contribute to any politicians. However, we can donate money to the state or to a charity organization. What I suggest is we collect this money and send it to the first lady, Michelle Obama and have her send this to a non profit community project for education on our behalf. This will bring a lot of attention because we as EB immigrants are saying, we want to contribute to better the educational system if given a chance so that the future American generations don't become prey to the 21st century American competitiveness like outsourcing and H Visas and stuff.

This might seem like a small drop in the ocean, but it is definitely a bright one!! And don't tell me it can't be done. It sure can be done. There was someone who already did this at the grassroots level, and his name is Barack Obama!!!

I am willing to talk to the IV Core team to discuss if needed.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/09/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 433
Blog Entries: 1
gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold
Default

Brother, your idea is good but practically it is very difficult.

Do you see a donate progress bar at the top, it took an entire month and lot of pushing to get 10,000 US$ in donation.

People are not willing to donate, many have questions about credibility and what work is being done, some have lost entire hope and hence not willing to donate.

It is like chicken and egg, we are asking people to donate to see change, some are saying change is not there and donation does not make a difference.

If it is so difficult to collect 10,000 US$ a month how can your plan collect 5 million ?

If someone is going to ask you the following questions what are your answers,
1) If i donate 50$ what is the feedback (in terms of info, progress) that i will get?
2) What will you do if the administration thanks us and takes the donation and gives it off to a non-profit education organization. (giving donation does not mean that they will do something for us). Then what do we do.

Instead can we not use that money to lobby for our goals.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 163
Blog Entries: 1
dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute dontcareaboutGC has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Along with Individual donations what are people's thoughts on advocating for and asking assistance from companies to donate to our cause. I keep reading many articles where many companies have been advocating and lobbying for this? I mean would it be too terrible if all us can try and pursuade our current employers to donate atleast 50-100$ for this. I dont know if it can be a recurring donation but even 1 time will make a huge impact on money collected.

I can start with my own organization and see if this will have any traction.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future
Default Idea is perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
I am new to this community and have been watching some other forums online, but I am glad we have one dedicated for EB immigration. Way to go Immigration Voice!!!

Now, before anyone jumps at me, I promise to contribute for IV's efforts and donate for the various projects in a couple days.


The reason I am posting this is because I saw various threads with various ideas to gain visibility and make out cause known to all. I saw thready ranging from writing to senators to sending a 1 cent check everyday to sending a voided check for a big amount. Other notable ideas include sending flowers, calling senators, FOIA campaign, writing to the Obama administration, etc. While I agree that each of these actions contribute small drops to the ocean, I honestly think we should think BIG!!


I have analyzed EB Immigration considerably and here are my thoughts -

Anti-Immigrants, especially the ones against EB Immigration feel that we take away their jobs. However our defense against that is there's aren't that many skilled immigrants for certain skill set and hence we fill that void and keep corporate America competitive. However a lot of us argue that we who are waiting in line for our potential Green Cards pay our taxes and aide by the law, etc. All valid arguments. However, that doesn't make us any different than the majority of the 90% workforce that is employed. They all pay taxes too.

I have seen other ideas being floated around where they said "Buy a house, get a green card." Now, two issues with this - How many of us potential immigrants have 250 grand to invest in a house? I don't and can perhaps pay 5-10% down payment on a house. But if I lose my job, then I will be forced to default too and that doesn't help the economy. Also, there are more than 10 million homes in foreclosure and even hypothetically, let's say we will buy a house on a mortgage at 10% down. There are, say 1 million immigrants in waiting including dependents. And we buy 500,000 homes. That is a small dent in the entire real estate economy. Won't make a significant difference. Secondly, the current mess we are in was caused by the "sub prime" mortgage loans. If you know what "sub prime" means, then you probably know the areas where these houses were purchased. Have you seen the neighborhoods or the areas where these houses are foreclosed? A majority of us won't even drive through there, leave alone buying houses there. So obviously, us buying homes is not going to solve this economic mess. If you still insist, then you perhaps need to take a class on economics 101.

OK, say why am I saying all this? Well, for one, while its great that we put our brains to work to help solve the economic crisis, since a good economy has a knock on effect on immigration, but we can't come up with ordinary ideas. These are extraordinary times and we need extraordinary ideas. We need to think out of the box. I appreciate the efforts of IV with the FOIA drive, but here's my question with that - Besides knowing how long the wait is going to be to get our GC based on the information from USCIS, what other purpose is the FOIA going to solve? Probably not much. But I do agree that having those numbers helps us in identifying where we need to focus our lobbying efforts. If we know the bottleneck is EB2-EB3 spillover, we can work on that with USCIS.

Someone mentioned in another thread where we all need to concentrate on one effort rather than be divided in multiple efforts. And I think it was suggested that we focus on visa numbers recapturing. I think its a great idea. However, please be aware that in the context of CIR, EB immigration is a small drop. And hence any lobbying to increase/recapture visa numbers need to be done with the FB immigration. EB and FB together can lobby for the recapture visa numbers project and might achieve considerable success.

If we as EB immigrants need to make our voice known, we need to take a leaf out of the President's book, from his campaign. He started a grass roots level campaign and look at where that has led him to!! So here is my suggestion for a project that will highlight our cause and lead some of the anti- EB Immigration Aholes to shut up their various holes.

I am assuming we have around 500K immigrants in waiting. Let's say there are 250K primary applicants. The goal is we try to get an email database of as many potential immigrants we can. Next we start an email campaign highlighting a story of an immigrant family or a news article against immigration or lobbying by anti immigrant groups or lack of visibility in ongoing discussions on CIR. At the bottom of each email, we have a donate button that takes the person to IV's donation page/paypal, whatever it might be. We start with a minimum of $50 and go upwards to $500. The goal is if we have atleast, say 100,000 potential immigrants to contribute a min of $50, then if my calculations are in order, that is about $5 Millions. We might have more depending on how many more people contribute and how much more than the min $50 that people contribute. But the baseline collection would be about $5 Million. OK, so what do we with that money? Well, the biggest skill set for us EB immigrants are our education. We have a minimum of a bachelors degree and have a penchant for being well educated. That is the weakness in the American education system - Education. We say thousands of high school dropouts. Thousands of college drop outs. The Obama administration has clearly said they need to invest in America's future. And hence they have a big ambitious spending on fixing the educational system. I know that as non permanent residents or citizens, we are not allowed to contribute to any politicians. However, we can donate money to the state or to a charity organization. What I suggest is we collect this money and send it to the first lady, Michelle Obama and have her send this to a non profit community project for education on our behalf. This will bring a lot of attention because we as EB immigrants are saying, we want to contribute to better the educational system if given a chance so that the future American generations don't become prey to the 21st century American competitiveness like outsourcing and H Visas and stuff.

This might seem like a small drop in the ocean, but it is definitely a bright one!! And don't tell me it can't be done. It sure can be done. There was someone who already did this at the grassroots level, and his name is Barack Obama!!!

I am willing to talk to the IV Core team to discuss if needed.
Idea is too good.If we can make it work this is one of the best idea to get the attention of the administration.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future naveenkprasadam has a brilliant future
Default

I got this crazy ideas earlier this week something like hiring a billboard space or some advertisement space in a popular newspaper.But this one is pretty sophisticated.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 99
neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute neverbefore has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdreamer05 View Post
Brother, your idea is good but practically it is very difficult.

Do you see a donate progress bar at the top, it took an entire month and lot of pushing to get 10,000 US$ in donation.

People are not willing to donate, many have questions about credibility and what work is being done, some have lost entire hope and hence not willing to donate.

It is like chicken and egg, we are asking people to donate to see change, some are saying change is not there and donation does not make a difference.

If it is so difficult to collect 10,000 US$ a month how can your plan collect 5 million ?

If someone is going to ask you the following questions what are your answers,
1) If i donate 50$ what is the feedback (in terms of info, progress) that i will get?
2) What will you do if the administration thanks us and takes the donation and gives it off to a non-profit education organization. (giving donation does not mean that they will do something for us). Then what do we do.

Instead can we not use that money to lobby for our goals.
Okay folks, how about this approach?

Since a lot of people do not donate because they think it won't make a difference, how about setting up an escrow-like account, which, if it meets its target (say $5M), is used for the purpose intended.

In case it falls severely short of the target by the due date, then everybody's money is returned without deducting any processing fee.

Any comments?

neverbefore

Last edited by neverbefore; 04-13-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 144
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
I am new to this community and have been watching some other forums online, but I am glad we have one dedicated for EB immigration. Way to go Immigration Voice!!!

Now, before anyone jumps at me, I promise to contribute for IV's efforts and donate for the various projects in a couple days.


The reason I am posting this is because I saw various threads with various ideas to gain visibility and make out cause known to all. I saw thready ranging from writing to senators to sending a 1 cent check everyday to sending a voided check for a big amount. Other notable ideas include sending flowers, calling senators, FOIA campaign, writing to the Obama administration, etc. While I agree that each of these actions contribute small drops to the ocean, I honestly think we should think BIG!!


I have analyzed EB Immigration considerably and here are my thoughts -

Anti-Immigrants, especially the ones against EB Immigration feel that we take away their jobs. However our defense against that is there's aren't that many skilled immigrants for certain skill set and hence we fill that void and keep corporate America competitive. However a lot of us argue that we who are waiting in line for our potential Green Cards pay our taxes and aide by the law, etc. All valid arguments. However, that doesn't make us any different than the majority of the 90% workforce that is employed. They all pay taxes too.

I have seen other ideas being floated around where they said "Buy a house, get a green card." Now, two issues with this - How many of us potential immigrants have 250 grand to invest in a house? I don't and can perhaps pay 5-10% down payment on a house. But if I lose my job, then I will be forced to default too and that doesn't help the economy. Also, there are more than 10 million homes in foreclosure and even hypothetically, let's say we will buy a house on a mortgage at 10% down. There are, say 1 million immigrants in waiting including dependents. And we buy 500,000 homes. That is a small dent in the entire real estate economy. Won't make a significant difference. Secondly, the current mess we are in was caused by the "sub prime" mortgage loans. If you know what "sub prime" means, then you probably know the areas where these houses were purchased. Have you seen the neighborhoods or the areas where these houses are foreclosed? A majority of us won't even drive through there, leave alone buying houses there. So obviously, us buying homes is not going to solve this economic mess. If you still insist, then you perhaps need to take a class on economics 101.

OK, say why am I saying all this? Well, for one, while its great that we put our brains to work to help solve the economic crisis, since a good economy has a knock on effect on immigration, but we can't come up with ordinary ideas. These are extraordinary times and we need extraordinary ideas. We need to think out of the box. I appreciate the efforts of IV with the FOIA drive, but here's my question with that - Besides knowing how long the wait is going to be to get our GC based on the information from USCIS, what other purpose is the FOIA going to solve? Probably not much. But I do agree that having those numbers helps us in identifying where we need to focus our lobbying efforts. If we know the bottleneck is EB2-EB3 spillover, we can work on that with USCIS.

Someone mentioned in another thread where we all need to concentrate on one effort rather than be divided in multiple efforts. And I think it was suggested that we focus on visa numbers recapturing. I think its a great idea. However, please be aware that in the context of CIR, EB immigration is a small drop. And hence any lobbying to increase/recapture visa numbers need to be done with the FB immigration. EB and FB together can lobby for the recapture visa numbers project and might achieve considerable success.

If we as EB immigrants need to make our voice known, we need to take a leaf out of the President's book, from his campaign. He started a grass roots level campaign and look at where that has led him to!! So here is my suggestion for a project that will highlight our cause and lead some of the anti- EB Immigration Aholes to shut up their various holes.

I am assuming we have around 500K immigrants in waiting. Let's say there are 250K primary applicants. The goal is we try to get an email database of as many potential immigrants we can. Next we start an email campaign highlighting a story of an immigrant family or a news article against immigration or lobbying by anti immigrant groups or lack of visibility in ongoing discussions on CIR. At the bottom of each email, we have a donate button that takes the person to IV's donation page/paypal, whatever it might be. We start with a minimum of $50 and go upwards to $500. The goal is if we have atleast, say 100,000 potential immigrants to contribute a min of $50, then if my calculations are in order, that is about $5 Millions. We might have more depending on how many more people contribute and how much more than the min $50 that people contribute. But the baseline collection would be about $5 Million. OK, so what do we with that money? Well, the biggest skill set for us EB immigrants are our education. We have a minimum of a bachelors degree and have a penchant for being well educated. That is the weakness in the American education system - Education. We say thousands of high school dropouts. Thousands of college drop outs. The Obama administration has clearly said they need to invest in America's future. And hence they have a big ambitious spending on fixing the educational system. I know that as non permanent residents or citizens, we are not allowed to contribute to any politicians. However, we can donate money to the state or to a charity organization. What I suggest is we collect this money and send it to the first lady, Michelle Obama and have her send this to a non profit community project for education on our behalf. This will bring a lot of attention because we as EB immigrants are saying, we want to contribute to better the educational system if given a chance so that the future American generations don't become prey to the 21st century American competitiveness like outsourcing and H Visas and stuff.

This might seem like a small drop in the ocean, but it is definitely a bright one!! And don't tell me it can't be done. It sure can be done. There was someone who already did this at the grassroots level, and his name is Barack Obama!!!

I am willing to talk to the IV Core team to discuss if needed.
While it seems like a great initiative - lets take a step back and examine the "materiality" of the $5MM number........

1. Annual budget of a typical State Univ is upwards of $1Bn.
2. $5MM can pay for college education of say, 100 kids (only about 50 if you include living expenses)

So, what the message that would go out in media would actually read like is the following:

"100,000 green card applicants trying to buy their way to US Residency by sponsoring 100 kids' college education and/or contributing 0.2% of Ohio State University's Annual Budget"

To the average American worker who has lost his/her job or knows someone close who has - this would, in my mind, seem like a bribe........and make them anti-EB if they already were not.........

All immigrant and non-immigrant workers do their fair share for this country by paying their taxes and abiding by the laws of the land + they pay significant fees during their entire H1 and GC process- a proposal that involves them shelling out any more $$s would only create a sense that we are trying to buy our way in plus its not really fair on the applicants in any way.
__________________
EB-1 C (From India and proud of it)
I140: RD Dec 1, 2006 NSC
485 filed concurrently
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
El_Guapo will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayantan76 View Post
While it seems like a great initiative - lets take a step back and examine the "materiality" of the $5MM number........

1. Annual budget of a typical State Univ is upwards of $1Bn.
2. $5MM can pay for college education of say, 100 kids (only about 50 if you include living expenses)

So, what the message that would go out in media would actually read like is the following:

"100,000 green card applicants trying to buy their way to US Residency by sponsoring 100 kids' college education and/or contributing 0.2% of Ohio State University's Annual Budget"

To the average American worker who has lost his/her job or knows someone close who has - this would, in my mind, seem like a bribe........and make them anti-EB if they already were not.........

All immigrant and non-immigrant workers do their fair share for this country by paying their taxes and abiding by the laws of the land + they pay significant fees during their entire H1 and GC process- a proposal that involves them shelling out any more $$s would only create a sense that we are trying to buy our way in plus its not really fair on the applicants in any way.

Well, you are missing the most important point - Illegal immigrant's probably don't care about the future of the country's educational direction. Family based immigrants don't care either. However WE are EB immigrants and we value education and that is exactly what we demonstrate by doing this. We should not be looking to fund hundreds of thousands of student's college education - heck even the mighty US government cannot do that. We are not a political organization. The way this will go out in the media is - these guys could have used the money to lobby with senators or other congressmen, instead, they choose to use it for a good cause. This is highly symbolic. And the key here is to involve the first lady. The moment you involve the first lady, it become apolitical.

Oh, and btw, we are not buying our way into a GC. Nowhere did I mention that. We, EB immigrants value education and hence want to donate for an educational charity/cause. We don't expect a GC by doing this - this is highly symbolic; however if the Obama administration takes up CIR this year and we start this campaign and this happens to go to the first lady and gain media attention at the right time, perhaps the administration would include legal immigration in the CIR which would have otherwise not been included.

Timing is critical to this. If we gain media attention a few weeks before CIR comes up for debate, we might have Legal, EB Immigration included into it. And CIR this year is our only chance and hope and if EB immigration is not considered parts of CIR, then we might as well kiss our GCs good bye.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/29/2006
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 144
sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of sayantan76 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
Well, you are missing the most important point - Illegal immigrant's probably don't care about the future of the country's educational direction. Family based immigrants don't care either. However WE are EB immigrants and we value education and that is exactly what we demonstrate by doing this. We should not be looking to fund hundreds of thousands of student's college education - heck even the mighty US government cannot do that. We are not a political organization. The way this will go out in the media is - these guys could have used the money to lobby with senators or other congressmen, instead, they choose to use it for a good cause. This is highly symbolic. And the key here is to involve the first lady. The moment you involve the first lady, it become apolitical.

Oh, and btw, we are not buying our way into a GC. Nowhere did I mention that. We, EB immigrants value education and hence want to donate for an educational charity/cause. We don't expect a GC by doing this - this is highly symbolic; however if the Obama administration takes up CIR this year and we start this campaign and this happens to go to the first lady and gain media attention at the right time, perhaps the administration would include legal immigration in the CIR which would have otherwise not been included.

Timing is critical to this. If we gain media attention a few weeks before CIR comes up for debate, we might have Legal, EB Immigration included into it. And CIR this year is our only chance and hope and if EB immigration is not considered parts of CIR, then we might as well kiss our GCs good bye.
Hey - I am just pointing out how it can be played in the media to make the eb community look really bad. Do we seriously think the media and common man will believe that we are suddenly doing this out of the goodness of our hearts and a genuine concern for educational system in us - most people will see it as a well timed publicity stunt to influence decision making in our favor.
__________________
EB-1 C (From India and proud of it)
I140: RD Dec 1, 2006 NSC
485 filed concurrently
EAD/ AP approved Feb'2007
I140 and 485 approved - July 2007
GC received July 2007
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 170
lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb

Good Idea ... May be we can build on this ... making monetary contrributions will risk the appearance of "buying a green card".
How about this:

Most of us claim to be highly experienced, highly educated, in diverse fields. A while back there was an announcement about serving for the military and in exchange for the service, you get a green card/ fast track to citizenship. In a similar vein, if there is a progam in place where we commit to educate students in colleges, high schools and other accredited institutions for a certain fixed period (say 1-2 yrs), we earn the green card sooner. This would be more platable. We utilize our skills, teach students, serve the community and shows our commitment to our prospective adopted country. It fits in like a glove with what President Obama is calling on citizens to do, his "army of teachers" ready made

This way we will be able to channelize positive support and there will be nothing that antis could argue against.

I love to teach, I have taught before while completing my Masters.

Last edited by lacrossegc; 04-13-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
ganguteli
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Its good that you are thinking of ideas but I do not think you know about the reason why we are all here on IV. Here is why.
#1 You need o spend time on IV and learn about it rather than just coming , opening a new ID and posting a big idea.
#2 You have not seeing Lobbying in Action. Go see yesterday's 60 minutes and how IRA controls US politics via lobbying
#3 If charity was the way to get things done, Bill Gates would have been the first to get unlimited H1B visas every year for Microsoft.
#4 You need to establish your credibility on the forum by contributing so that people take you seriously.
#5 If you really want to raise $5 million and donate to America it will do nothing. How about raising 5 Million and donating in Africa and feed kids dying of hunger. It is better than investing in education of US kids who are anyways pampered and spoiled by free school education, free transport and free meals.
#6 Maybe you should do a lottery of $5 million once collected and ask all Americans if they want to win it. You will get more media attention if that is your purpose.

Now coming to the point of raising 5 million. Forget it man. Desis and Chinese are very frugal. Unless they are in deep immigration problem they will not even give you $5.

Now tell me how you are going to get email addresses. That is really a big plan. I think you should get those email addresses and give it to IV. But how will you do it? There is no such list buddy.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 250
qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
Secondly, the current mess we are in was caused by the "sub prime" mortgage loans. If you know what "sub prime" means, then you probably know the areas where these houses were purchased. Have you seen the neighborhoods or the areas where these houses are foreclosed? A majority of us won't even drive through there, leave alone buying houses there. So obviously, us buying homes is not going to solve this economic mess. If you still insist, then you perhaps need to take a class on economics 101.
Welcome. I urge you to browse this wonderful site and try to gather more information as to what IV has to offer and its history.

BTW: "sub prime" has nothing to do with the real estate market or the location of the house. It is a financial term to describe a "risk" category invented for the layman. People who got loans even though they do not have the 'prime' credit rating and paid zero down payment are the ones who are walking away from their houses. These foreclosed houses can be anywhere and probably in better locations than not, as their prices would not have precipitously climbed during 2003-2006 crazy years.

Last edited by qasleuth; 04-14-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Nil Nil is offline
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 113
Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light
Default

El_Gualpo,

Welcome to IV and Thanks for sharing your ideas.
A concept will be put to test by how it is received by all others in the same boat. Whether it is accepted or not, pls remain with IV.
Do not be discouraged by a critique - most have merit.

Become a donor - any effort in this country needs money.
From current sentiments floating amongst general public, donation for attention may look like a buyout attempt.

Reasoning with the right people in proper limelight is the strongest way.
The system is unfair to folks who have done things by the book.
To change it, in this economy is not easy. IV has put in tremendous efforts in the past.
Let us just not give up. Big names in Industry and rational voices in TV are slowly opening up to what we are facing.
But this is not our country. Let us be prepared to convincingly answer: Hey, don't like it? Go back to where you came from.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2010
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 305
permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute permfiling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sanjay Mavinkurve post

Check this immigration issue at

http://valleywag.gawker.com/

We have to do similar things to get our issues noticed
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
El_Guapo will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossegc View Post
Good Idea ... May be we can build on this ... making monetary contrributions will risk the appearance of "buying a green card".
How about this:

Most of us claim to be highly experienced, highly educated, in diverse fields. A while back there was an announcement about serving for the military and in exchange for the service, you get a green card/ fast track to citizenship. In a similar vein, if there is a progam in place where we commit to educate students in colleges, high schools and other accredited institutions for a certain fixed period (say 1-2 yrs), we earn the green card sooner. This would be more platable. We utilize our skills, teach students, serve the community and shows our commitment to our prospective adopted country. It fits in like a glove with what President Obama is calling on citizens to do, his "army of teachers" ready made

This way we will be able to channelize positive support and there will be nothing that antis could argue against.

I love to teach, I have taught before while completing my Masters.

I think this is a good idea, in fact even better than the collecting money campaign because the President just signed the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act. I think IV should seriously explore this idea.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org