Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Draft letter to send to friends reg. HR3012

As some have requested, I have drafted a letter that can be sent to friends and others educating them about H.R.3012 and asking them to donate here. Please modify / update as appropriate and use.

Dear _____,

I apologize for this long e-mail. But it is an important one and I ask you to read it entirely.

I am writing to inform you about a bill that is about to come before the US Senate for voting. The bill is H.R.3012, titled “Fairness for High Skilled Immigrants” and recently passed the US House of Representatives with an overwhelming majority of 389 members in favor versus 15 against!

Like you, I am usually not very keen about politics or legislation but this issue is critical because it personally affects you and me. H.R. 3012 is the most important piece of legislation that you may not have heard of, if you are a high skilled immigrant to the US (i.e. on an H1B or L visa), or a potential immigrant, i.e. a student on an F visa. This bill, if passed and made into law, will completely change your future in the US for the better.

Let me briefly explain how this works.

At present, a high skilled immigrant from India and China will have to wait between 6 to 20 (or more) years for obtaining permanent residency (i.e. Green Card). This is because India and China are “backlogged” under the current employment based (EB) immigration system. These backlogs exist because of an outdated clause in US immigration law, called “per-country limits”, that restricts the number of Green Cards that individuals from a particular country can obtain to only 7% of total EB green cards.

This leads to the ridiculous situation of high skilled immigrants from populous countries like India and China having to wait 20 years or longer to obtain a green card, whereas citizens of other countries can obtain green cards within a few months. As Representative Steve Cohen, Democrat of Tennessee, aptly argued about the unfairness of this clause during the House vote “(the per country) cap applies equally to Iceland (population 300,000, and a lot of ice) and India / China (population, 1 billion plus, and rising)!”

It is no wonder that such a policy has resulted in decades long waits for a green card for people from India and China, during which time the applicant cannot get a raise or a promotion at work, change jobs, buy a house, etc. Equally importantly, these outdated “per-country limits” are also detrimental to US employers, as they are hindered access to the best available skilled manpower they need to keep the US economy vibrant and competitive in a world economy. Significantly, H.R.3012 does not increase even by a single number the total number of immigrant visas (green cards) issued and only ensures fairness in the distribution of currently available numbers.

Thankfully, because of a multi-year campaign by Immigration Voice (IV), the leading organization of skilled immigrants to the US, H.R. 3012 was introduced in the House and passed with an overwhelming majority. If H.R. 3012 becomes law, the wait times for individuals from India and China will be reduced to approximately 1-2 years in the EB-2 category and 4-5 years in the EB3 category, a major improvement from the current 5-20 years!

However, to get this bill through Senate, we still need to put in a lot more work in approaching and educating senators about the fairness of this bill and its merits to the US economy. The team leaders from IV are tirelessly campaigning for this bill in Washington DC for many weeks now and they have received help and monetary donations from hundreds of volunteers like you and me to carry on this effort.

I am writing this to ask you to visit their website ImmigrationVoice.org - Home to see for yourself the energy and enthusiasm evident there in getting this bill passed. You will also learn more about this bill, how it will drastically change your future in the US and how you can personally help in this final but critical leg of the race by making donations and/or volunteering.

Thank you
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Clicking the like button below your post will also help.

You can click like buttons of IV action item first post as well to spread the message

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute rkay has a reputation beyond repute

It would help if family component of the bill is included in the letter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute

Fixing a typo digital2k informed me about. Unfortunately, can't find the Edit button, so reposting.

Folks, pls feel free to send this to current as well as POTENTIAL immigrants, eg students on F1- they can be great source of energy and publicity. Thx.

Dear _____,

I apologize for this long e-mail. But it is an important one and I ask you to read it entirely.

I am writing to inform you about a bill that is about to come before the US Senate for voting. The bill is H.R.3012, titled “Fairness for High Skilled Immigrants” and recently passed the US House of Representatives with an overwhelming majority of 389 members in favor versus 15 against!

Like you, I am usually not very keen about politics or legislation but this issue is critical because it personally affects you and me. H.R. 3012 is the most important piece of legislation that you may not have heard of, if you are a high skilled immigrant to the US (i.e. on an H1B or L visa), or a potential immigrant, i.e. a student on an F visa. This bill, if passed and made into law, will completely change your future in the US for the better.

Let me briefly explain how this works.

At present, a high skilled immigrant from India and China will have to wait between 6 to 20 (or more) years for obtaining permanent residency (i.e. Green Card). This is because India and China are “backlogged” under the current employment based (EB) immigration system. These backlogs exist because of an outdated clause in US immigration law, called “per-country limits”, that restricts the number of Green Cards that individuals from a particular country can obtain to only 7% of total EB green cards.

This leads to the ridiculous situation of high skilled immigrants from populous countries like India and China having to wait 20 years or longer to obtain a green card, whereas citizens of other countries can obtain green cards within a few months. As Representative Steve Cohen, Democrat of Tennessee, aptly argued about the unfairness of this clause during the House vote “(the per country) cap applies equally to Iceland (population 300,000, and a lot of ice) and India / China (population, 1 billion plus, and rising)!”

It is no wonder that such a policy has resulted in decades long waits for a green card for people from India and China, during which time the applicant cannot get a raise or a promotion at work, change jobs, buy a house, etc. Equally importantly, these outdated “per-country limits” are also detrimental to US employers, as they are hindered access to the best available skilled manpower they need to keep the US economy vibrant and competitive in a world economy. Another significant improvement that H.R.3012 will implement is to increase per country limits in family based immigration from the current 7% to 15%, bringing significant relief to our friends from Mexico, Philippines and elsewhere who suffer the greatest backlogs under family based immigration.

Significantly, H.R.3012 does not increase even by a single number the total number of immigrant visas (green cards) issued and only ensures fairness in the distribution of currently available numbers.

Thankfully, because of a multi-year campaign by Immigration Voice (IV), the leading organization of skilled immigrants to the US, H.R. 3012 was introduced in the House and passed with an overwhelming majority. If H.R. 3012 becomes law, the wait times for individuals from India and China will be reduced to approximately 1-2 years in the EB-2 category and 4-5 years in the EB3 category, a major improvement from the current 5-20 years!

However, to get this bill through Senate, we still need to put in a lot more work in approaching and educating senators about the fairness of this bill and its merits to the US economy. The team leaders from IV are tirelessly campaigning for this bill in Washington DC for many weeks now and they have received help and monetary donations from hundreds of volunteers like you and me to carry on this effort.

I am writing this to ask you to visit their website ImmigrationVoice.org - Home to see for yourself the energy and enthusiasm evident there in getting this bill passed. You will also learn more about this bill, how it will drastically change your future in the US and how you can personally help in this final but critical leg of the race by making donations and/or volunteering.

Thank you

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very nice format.

I used this format to send an email to friends and family members.

I added folowing part (to keep the letter and action item together) before the end to send my friends who are citizens. I am urging them to call atlest 2 local senators.

===============================================
This upcoming week is the last week Congress is in session for September. Please make two phone calls to your two Senators that represent your state and request them to pass H.R. 3012 bill. When you call, ask to speak with someone who deals with judiciary and immigration issues and give them the following message.
• Hi, my name is ________. I live in _____________.
• I am calling to voice my support for H.R. 3012.
• I want to request Senator to support and pass H.R. 3012 bill in Senate as soon as possible. Thank you.
It will take 2-3 minutes of your time to make 2 phone calls. Do it every day this week.

Maryland
CARDIN, Benjamin L.
(202) 224-4524

MIKULSKI, Barbara A.
(202) 224-4654
================================================== =

Thanks again.
Contributed 28$ Give me a HIGH FIVE Drive
------------------------------------------
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
------------------------------------------

Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute smp_king has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for writing up the email. i made some small updates & sent to all my contacts. They are already making calls. my hope is to make to atleast few dozen ppl to make the calls who would not have done that before. People are bit nervous to make the first call. But once they do, they are very happy for doing that and want to do it again. i have asked my friends to reply to my original email with their feedback after calling hoping that will encourage others to move beyond initial hesitation.

All senate office staff are friendly. so no reason for not calling. I hope ppl on the sidelines are not expecting the senators to call them first.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
miles47 is on a distinguished road

It is important to choose right one since the first time. Thank for the sharing have a nice day

Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AARON45 is on a distinguished road

Excellent posts to read it up and keep going on this way.