Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation
Click to log in with Facebook
Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation Gap in employment(paystubs) and the resulting problems during status transfer and green card filing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute

I received full-application package couple of days ago based on pre-assessment. I applied on 18th July. That was really quick.
Based on the feedback thus far about lack of opportunities in Canada, I am re-assessing my decision to apply for Canada PR. BTW, I am more than happy with my current job but it is the long wait for Green that's put on hold career and personal aspirations for me and my family.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorry for late response

Read my reply below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixone View Post
Nik, would you please help me how you answered the following questions on that one-page form?
15. For what occupation was your US visa issued and for which visa category (H1B, H1-B1, H-1C, E-3)?
Operations Research Analyst and H1B (I do not have a visa, it is the status changed from F-1)
I am on H-1B visa since 2005. Since you're in transition mode from F-1 to H-1B, you can mention about your case. I assume that you did get H-1B approved in April lottery. If yes, send the paper work you have received thus far.

16. How long have you been working in the US under the visa category indicated above?
10 months (I know I need to wait until Oct 08)
I recommend NOT waiting till Oct 08. Just go ahead and apply for pre-assessment. Worst case would be - you will be asked to wait till Oct '08

17. Is your occupation on the Regional Occupations Under Pressure list for Alberta? �� Yes �� No
Here is the problem. If I say YES the title above is not on the list. If I say NO, my job duties fall under Systems Analyst and it is on the list--job code 2171.
I selected - 2171 Information Systems Analysts and Consultants. You fall under this category. That's fine, as long as you are able to produce supporting document for your job profile.

I really want to apply and I want to move to Canada. This is not a backup plan. I want this more than US GC. What should I do? Thanks for your time and help.
Just follow what you feel is right. Things will fall in place. However, it would be sensible to do some research regarding the job and living conditions before you proceed further.

I hope this helps.

Nik

Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
downloadzombie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixone View Post
Have you already received the full application package or you are about to send docs for pre-assesment? If you have received the full package, have they mentioned fees there?

All the best in India.

I am yet to apply for pre-assessment.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbhatt View Post
I received full-application package couple of days ago based on pre-assessment. I applied on 18th July. That was really quick.
Based on the feedback thus far about lack of opportunities in Canada, I am re-assessing my decision to apply for Canada PR. BTW, I am more than happy with my current job but it is the long wait for Green that's put on hold career and personal aspirations for me and my family.
Hi ndbhatt,

can you please provide details as to what all documentation is required as per application package. I just want to get it ready so that I waste no time when I get my application package.
Also if these details are available online then please provide me link.

thanks

Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by downloadzombie View Post
Hi ndbhatt,

can you please provide details as to what all documentation is required as per application package. I just want to get it ready so that I waste no time when I get my application package.
Also if these details are available online then please provide me link.

thanks
First step:
Sent duly filled single page application alongwith my resume.
===
Received email asking for further documentation
===
Second step:
Send following response and documentation
Thank you for your quick response. Please find attached the scanned copies in support of the item numbers 1-4 along with this email. I entered US in April 2005 and have never left the country since then. Documents (I-797) supporting the extension of my stay in US on H1B are attached along with this email.
A photocopy of your passport – kindly only send a copy of the Photo and your personal information pages, of your current passport [See attached]
A photocopy of your current H1B visa [See attached]
Proof of your qualification for H1B (eg. education degree/diploma, license, certification, etc) please note, at this time 1 or 2 documents will suffice, we do not require transcripts [See attached]
Proof of your current employment (a copy of your most recent pay stub) [See attached]
Job description (job duties) and how it applies to the Regional Occupations Under Pressure List in Alberta

As per the Regional Occupations under Pressure List for Alberta, my profile can be categorized under NOC 2171 - Information Systems Analysts and Consultants.
Brief Job description is as follows:
[here i mentioned brief job description]

Essentially, just have following basic documentation:
  1. Passport copy - first page, Visa page and last page for address
  2. Latest paystub
  3. All copies of I-797
  4. Copies of convocation certificates - Graduation, Post graduation
  5. Copies of Professional certifications - OCP, PMI, etc.

I hope this helps.

Nik

Old 08-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
First step:
Sent duly filled single page application alongwith my resume.
===
Received email asking for further documentation
===
Second step:
Send following response and documentation
Thank you for your quick response. Please find attached the scanned copies in support of the item numbers 1-4 along with this email. I entered US in April 2005 and have never left the country since then. Documents (I-797) supporting the extension of my stay in US on H1B are attached along with this email.
A photocopy of your passport – kindly only send a copy of the Photo and your personal information pages, of your current passport [See attached]
A photocopy of your current H1B visa [See attached]
Proof of your qualification for H1B (eg. education degree/diploma, license, certification, etc) please note, at this time 1 or 2 documents will suffice, we do not require transcripts [See attached]
Proof of your current employment (a copy of your most recent pay stub) [See attached]
Job description (job duties) and how it applies to the Regional Occupations Under Pressure List in Alberta

As per the Regional Occupations under Pressure List for Alberta, my profile can be categorized under NOC 2171 - Information Systems Analysts and Consultants.
Brief Job description is as follows:
[here i mentioned brief job description]

Essentially, just have following basic documentation:
  1. Passport copy - first page, Visa page and last page for address
  2. Latest paystub
  3. All copies of I-797
  4. Copies of convocation certificates - Graduation, Post graduation
  5. Copies of Professional certifications - OCP, PMI, etc.

I hope this helps.

Nik
Hi Nik,

I have done this step today, i.e I have sent them all these items. What I wanted to know is about the documentation required after they approve this and we need to apply to Provincial Certification.(essentially I mean to ask what documentation is required once you receive application package).

hope i made myself clear this time. if not please feel free to ask me more questions.

thanks once again and hope to hear soon

Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I haven't got a chance to review the Alberta PNP package. I am bit occupied with my family and health issues but I will get back to normalcy within 10 days.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nixone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Read my reply below...

15. For what occupation was your US visa issued and for which visa category (H1B, H1-B1, H-1C, E-3)?
Operations Research Analyst and H1B (I do not have a visa, it is the status changed from F-1)
I am on H-1B visa since 2005. Since you're in transition mode from F-1 to H-1B, you can mention about your case. I assume that you did get H-1B approved in April lottery. If yes, send the paper work you have received thus far.

16. How long have you been working in the US under the visa category indicated above?
10 months (I know I need to wait until Oct 08)
I recommend NOT waiting till Oct 08. Just go ahead and apply for pre-assessment. Worst case would be - you will be asked to wait till Oct '08

17. Is your occupation on the Regional Occupations Under Pressure list for Alberta? �� Yes �� No
Here is the problem. If I say YES the title above is not on the list. If I say NO, my job duties fall under Systems Analyst and it is on the list--job code 2171.
I selected - 2171 Information Systems Analysts and Consultants. You fall under this category. That's fine, as long as you are able to produce supporting document for your job profile.

I really want to apply and I want to move to Canada. This is not a backup plan. I want this more than US GC. What should I do? Thanks for your time and help.
Just follow what you feel is right. Things will fall in place. However, it would be sensible to do some research regarding the job and living conditions before you proceed further.

I hope this helps.

Nik
Thanks Nik. That was very nice of you. Yes, I went from F1 to H1. I did not have to go through lottery on April 07 as it was under US master's quota. I heard that people had to go through lottery this year even with US master's degree.

I e-mailed the Alberta PNP a couple of weeks ago and they have asked me to send all the necessary documents for pre-assesment, so no necessary to wait until Oct 08. But they want me to send a document to prove that I have some work experience before my H1-B, which I have.

Thank you for your kind advice on doing research regarding the job opportunity and living condition. I will do all the necessary research before sending my full application back or before moving to Alberta.

Wish you all the best with your family and health matters.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
viveckj99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downloadzombie View Post
All,

I am just about to move back to India as my company decided to re-locate me in absence of any job in US.

Gingie told me that even if I apply for pre-assesment now I can complete remaining process from Canadian Embassy in New Delhi (though it may take bit longer) .

So all I have to do is send some docs through email and get canadian PR in an years time.

this is gr8 news for those in same boat as I am.

Also Gingie told me after getting PR I am free to live and work anywhere in Canada. There is no limitation that I have to live and work in Alberta(though we intend to do so at time of application).

Only there was a remark that we need to cmplete landing process in Alberta. Additonally Gingie told that Alberta's economy is stongest in Canada and hence possibility of jobs in more there.

let me know if anyone needs additional info.
Hi downloadzombie,
This means after getting PR,we can live or work anywhere in Canada? if so,this is really good news.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rav_234 is a jewel in the rough rav_234 is a jewel in the rough rav_234 is a jewel in the rough rav_234 is a jewel in the rough
Default CANADA LANDING EXPERIENCE - Current status in USA - EAD/AP/EXPIRED H1B VISA

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my Canada PR Landing experience here to all the folks who have applied for their Canadian PR as a back-up plan.

Just to recap, i got my Canada PR visa stamped in Nov'2007 and was valid until 20 August'2008.

However i delayed my landing process due to the fear factor and due to my current status in the USA - Expired h1/approved AP.

On 16 August'2007 i finally decided that i should complete the landing process as i had spent lot of money and time for the CA PR and also that i wanted to have this previlage which i had planned as a back up.

So i left for Buffalo,NY on the 18 August'2008.Reached there in the night,cheked into a hotel and on 19 August'2008,i drove across the Rainbow Bridge.At the Canadian side the procedure was simple and smooth and the CA Immg officers were very friendly and cordial.

Immigration officer asked me only the following questions:

Q1:Why are u landing just one day before the expiry of the CA PR Visa? - explained him that i had some family emergencies that kept me away from landing until today and he was convinced.
Q2:Why is your current USA Visa is expired? - for this i showed him my 485 receipts and also my approved AP Documents and he was fine with that.

Q3: Financial Statement ? - I showed him the bank statements.

Finally he made me and my wife to sign the COPR Document and he stapled it to our passports and shook hands and welcomed us to Canada.

I had to sign for my daughter.

He then directed us to customs,there we gave the goods to follow and goods accompanying list and they stamped it and gave us the copies.

Once we were done with this we straight away went to the local HRDC Center,applied for our SIN and we got our SIN Nos right away and they informed that they would mail us the sin cards to the Canada address we provided.

Then we went to Basic's store ( similar to our Staples/Officemax) to fax the PR Card request application form and started our return journey back to USA.

USA SIDE PROCESS:

We were tensed as we had only the expired visas in our passport and we had our approved AP and photocopies of our 485 Receipts.

We had to wait on the rainbow bridge as there were many cars lined up.finally my turn came and i went to the booth and gave our passports and AP documents.The guy at the booth asked us how long we were in Canada and the purpose of my visit to Canada....I just explained him that i was there in Ca just for 1 day and that i had to complete some landing formalities ( I did not use any words like PR etc )......Then the guy gave me a white slip and asked us to park our car and go to the second floor.....He just winked and told me that i must be aware of the procedures...

I parked my car and went to the second floor as asked...........here there were several people.......and we had to wait for almost 45 scary minutes................finally the officer called my name.............i felt difficult to stand and walk the few steps........i went to the officer.........and to my surprise....he gave us our passports and the stamped AP documents.....the stamp on the AP says: Admitted under parole until August'2009....though our AP's expire on 4 jan'2009.

There were no personal meeting with the US immigration folks or anything.........just they simply handed us our stamped passport with the I-94 Stapled and the stamped AP documents.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada is not good for Immigrants, especially from South Asia, like India...

Please visit the web site : http://www.notcanada.com/

It has all the links and short videos that tells the true picture of what happens with the "highly qualified" immigrant community.

I was totally discouraged after reading and watching some of the videos.

Thanks!!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Finally applied for AIPNP

Hi,

I am back from dormant stage. I sent all my papers required for AIPNP.

I sent the following documents:

Copies of Passport - Self and family.
Copies of my I-797's
Copies of convocation certificates [University Certificates] - Self and spouse.
Copies of Experience letters - Self
Copy of latest paystub - Self
Copies of my certifications - OCP & PMP
Original Invitation letter
Photos - 2 each with name and DOB in back.

I didn't send certified copies as it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the form.
Toughest part was providing the current description and profile. I sent a copy of my job/profile description that was provided by my company to USCIS for H-1B transfer.

FYI, I applied number of jobs in Alberta as Sr. Business Analyst / Project Manager just to have feel worth of my skill set and experience.

To my surprise, I got couple of responses. They have asked me to touch-base with them after I get my PR.

I wonder if I need to take my IELTS while my application for AIPNP is bring processed. Is IELTS needed if I applied PR under AIPNP?
Any thoughts...

More to come...
Nik

Last edited by ndbhatt; 09-07-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nepal
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nixone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi,

I am back from dormant stage. I sent all my papers required for AIPNP.

I sent the following documents:

Copies of Passport - Self and family.
Copies of my I-797's
Copies of convocation certificates [University Certificates] - Self and spouse.
Copies of Experience letters - Self
Copy of latest paystub - Self
Copies of my certifications - OCP & PMP
Original Invitation letter
Photos - 2 each with name and DOB in back.

I didn't send certified copies as it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the form.
Toughest part was providing the current description and profile. I sent a copy of my job/profile description that was provided by my company to USCIS for H-1B transfer.

FYI, I applied number of jobs in Alberta as Sr. Business Analyst / Project Manager just to have feel worth of my skill set and experience.

To my surprise, I got couple of responses. They have asked me to touch-base with them after I get my PR.

I wonder if I need to take my IELTS while my application for AIPNP is bring processed. Is IELTS needed if I applied PR under AIPNP?
Any thoughts...

More to come...
Nik
Thanks for posting the list of documents sent. That would help me and many others who are looking into this route. About IELTS, I do not think they require it. If they did, they would have asked you to get ready for it on that invitation to apply letter. But this is just my opinion and at the Federal Level, they might ask, so it is better to be ready for it.

Wow, you are OCP and PMP. That's great. Those certification might have help you receiving responses from the Alberta employers. Are you an experienced Project Manager OR got the certification by preparing for the exam? I am not a project manager, but would like to get a PM certification in the near future.

Did you have to send any fees along with your AIPNP application?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Colombia
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ingegarcia is a jewel in the rough ingegarcia is a jewel in the rough ingegarcia is a jewel in the rough ingegarcia is a jewel in the rough

Hi ndbhatt
I mailed documents on 8/22 and I received email with confirmation and case number 2 weeks later so I guess you'll receive the same thing two weeks from now. Same as you I sent job description letter for H-1B transfer because my company would take long time to do a non-standard letter. The only think I did not send was the photos since they are going to be needed only in federal process. IELTS is not needed for AINP and basically for the federal process the only thing we need is the police certificates.

BTW I also applied to a couple of jobs in Edmonton and Calgary for System Analyst and got some responses. They told me to contact them once the PNP/Federal process is finished. To be honest with you I was expecting more willingness to sponsor work permit/visa since they advertise the need for skill workers. It makes me a little uneasy about the whole thing. Hopefully companies over there do not know the process or do want to get into the whole temporarily sponsorship process (LMO, Work permit/visa).
I am aware of those websites like notcanada and some other forums where they talk about downgrading skills and PHDs driving a cab. That's a little scary so based on my current condition I would not consider to move there without job offer.

Nixone, AINP is free so no payments for the assessment process and provincial nomination. However the federal process is different and you'll need to pay fees for it…

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/25/2007
Chargeability