Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum87-out-of-status-employment-gap-and-status-revalidation/)
-   -   H-1B visa revalidation rejection rate (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum87-out-of-status-employment-gap-and-status-revalidation/2227-h-1b-visa-revalidation-rejection-rate.html)

honge_kamyaab 11-09-2006 04:22 PM

H-1B visa revalidation rejection rate

Any idea about the rejection rate for H-1B visa revalidation in Chennai, India for a person with normal legal status throughout the H-1B period.

I am on my 7th yr extension and expired my visa couple of months ago. To go to India and return I need a visa. I know going to Canada for visa is a better option to play safe, but going directly to India would save vacation days.
Please advice.

gcseeker2002 11-09-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honge_kamyaab
Any idea about the rejection rate for H-1B visa revalidation in Chennai, India for a person with normal legal status throughout the H-1B period.

I am on my 7th yr extension and expired my visa couple of months ago. To go to India and return I need a visa. I know going to Canada for visa is a better option to play safe, but going directly to India would save vacation days.
Please advice.

If you are going to the chennai consulate, make sure you carry all current and 2 years documentation and be prepared to spend the day in the consulate.

arnet 11-09-2006 05:33 PM

check immigrationportal.com and click for links titled revalidation at chennai, here are few links:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/sho...d.php?t=104944

http://www.immigrationportal.com/sho...d.php?t=164037

disclaimer: i'm not an immigration attroney so please consult for your situations as laws/procedures changing often.

Quote:

Please advice.

GCBy3000 11-09-2006 05:35 PM

Canada is riskier than chennai

If you dont have degree from US, then going to Canada is more riskier than going to India. For some reason if you get denied in Canada, you cannot re-enter US and you have to go to your home country. Even if you go to home country, the rejection in Canada will be a blackmark and 99% I beleive you will also get rejected in your home country.

So I dont advise anyone to go to outside their home country if they dont have US degree in hand.

Quote:

Please advice.

perm2gc 11-09-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Please advice.

If you have a US degree or once revalidated in canada before then goto canada.Otherwsie goto Mexico or your home country.

Good Luck!!!

just_waiting 11-09-2006 07:42 PM

I did revalidation in Canada

The result varies from case to case but I did my 7th year revalidation in Canada and I don't have US degree. I find Canada more convenient since I live in Michigan and I can go with all the documents that I can find in my car's trunk to Toronto.
Obviously, one should decide for himself. I told my experience and might not represent the majority.

gimme Green!! 11-10-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Please advice.

I have got Visa from Chennai twice (F1 & H1) and once from Toronto, Canada (H1).
I did not have any problems anytime in both these places.
Just make sure that you take all your documents, including tax returns and pay slips.
While I was in line, I heard someone was asked to come back as he did not have the petition filed by the company to get H1 (i think it is I 129).

Good Luck!!

sen 11-10-2006 05:00 PM

I just got my H1 visa revalidated in Canada two days back. I am currently in my 7th year extension and i dont have a US degree. The whole process went very smooth. Again it depends upon your case. If you work for a well-known company and have got all H1 papers, there is no need to worry.
Good luck !!!

anurakt 11-11-2006 10:34 AM

where in canada ?

Sen,

which center in canada did u go ?

sen 11-11-2006 10:57 PM

I went to Ottawa consulate. They were very polite and the whole interview process took only 5 min. They issued the passport next day.

bpats 03-30-2009 05:23 PM

Got a question

Hi,

Can you pls tell me? Do we require VISA for CANADA to visit any US Consulate/Embassy in CANADA, or they will allow us to go through?

thanks in advance
bpats

a_yaja 03-30-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpats (Post 330887)
Hi,

Can you pls tell me? Do we require VISA for CANADA to visit any US Consulate/Embassy in CANADA, or they will allow us to go through?

thanks in advance
bpats

Depends on your country of citizenship. Take a look at the Canada Consulate website. The link for the Detroit consulate is below:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng