Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation
Click to log in with Facebook
Out of status, employment gap and status revalidation Gap in employment(paystubs) and the resulting problems during status transfer and green card filing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2008
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2007
Compare
michael_trs is infamous around these parts
Default Can I travel to Puerto Rico with expired H1 stamp in passport?

I have expired stamp in a passport but valid i94 and I797. I want to travel to PR but I doubt that I will be able to come back to the US mainland... Can anyone give me a link to a document which tell if I can do it? Where can I check it out to be 100% sure?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2006
Chargeability
:
Albania
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/20/2007
Compare
gman is on a distinguished road
Default You do not even need a passport

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_trs View Post
I have expired stamp in a passport but valid i94 and I797. I want to travel to PR but I doubt that I will be able to come back to the US mainland... Can anyone give me a link to a document which tell if I can do it? Where can I check it out to be 100% sure?
You do not neet a passport to go/come back from PR. It's a US territory. Plenty of resources on the web (one not offficial though http://www.meetpuertorico.com/about_pr/passport.asp). I have traveled myself to/from PR and no passports were checked as long as it's direct flight from US.

Enjoy!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2008
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2007
Compare

ok, but I will be 100% sure only if I find some official documents that prove it....

I have read somewhere on the I-net that it's true only for US sitizens but not for H1 visa holders.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Compare
Aah_GC is on a distinguished road

I think but please confirm, all you need is a state issued ID. I wonder what your H1 status has got to do with visiting PR.

Contributed $700 and made calls to Senators

Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2008
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2007
Compare

I can travel with ID only if I am US sitizen, see the link above. I am not a sitizen even if I have a drivers license.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vdixit is on a distinguished road

you do not need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico. No one asks you for a passport. You need a state issued ID such as a drivers license. I have travelled to PR before.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute conundrum has a reputation beyond repute

I traveled to Puerto Rico early last month and it was just like any other flight within the US. You need state ID to board the aircraft and thats it.

Now, I did carry my passport and AP just in case, but as it turned out there wasnt a need for either one. The flights to and from Puerto Rico were from the domestic terminals and it looks like travel to Puerto Rico is considered the same as travel to any of the 50 states.
I-485: Notice Date - Sept 11, 2007
RFE: Aug 03, 2008
Responded to RFE: Aug 26, 2008
LUD: Case resumed - Aug 28, 2008
Soft LUD: Sept 03, 2008; Spet 04, 2008
I-485 Approval Notice - Dec 11, 2008
Card Production Ordered - Dec 11, 2008
Card Received - Dec 19, 2008

Old 11-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2008
Chargeability
:
Russia
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2007
Compare

PR is a part of the US, flights are domestic, BUT people say that sometimes they ask for your visa if you are not a citizen!!!

What do I have to do if it happens to me?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/19/2007
Compare
GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute GCKaMaara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_trs View Post
PR is a part of the US, flights are domestic, BUT people say that sometimes they ask for your visa if you are not a citizen!!!

What do I have to do if it happens to me?
I believe this is true. All non-citizens must keep passport with them even for domestic travels. They don't ask all the times, but they may once in a blue moon.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of ItIsNotFunny has much to be proud of

I heard this too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCKaMaara View Post
I believe this is true. All non-citizens must keep passport with them even for domestic travels. They don't ask all the times, but they may once in a blue moon.

RD: 6/7/07, ND: 6/19/07, FP: 7/21/07
485 LUDs: 7/23, 7/24 & 7/28
EAD Approved: 9/12
AP Approved : 9/24

Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
austinsamb will become famous soon enough
Default You should be fine..

I've been to PR about couple of dozen times in the last year and half. I'm travelling next month as well... I always carry my passport. Sometimes (4-5 of all my trips) the border personal stand in the jetbridge while you are entering the flight and ask people if they are citizens. If you say your not then they will ask for your passport. If your a visa holder then they will ask for it but if you've an approved renewal I797 or AP you should be fine. Ive always showed H1B.

The reason they ask is cos of its close proximity to other countries with which US does not have diplomatic ties. But regardless, its very informal, they do it very casual and my guess is a DL will fly. PR is called the Commonwealth of US just like Pennsylvania and some other states in the mainland are. But my guess you should be fine.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2007
Compare
ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Passport Validity Rule?

One of my friends, a GC holder, is leaving for India on November 28 and coming back to US on January 10, 2009. Only yesterday he found his Indian Passport is valid till May 05, 2009.

Is there any rule that states the passport has to be valid for at least six months (or so) to leave and re-enter US?

If anyone was already in similar situation, please share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light
Default No passport checked

My wife (H4) and I (H1B) just got back from PR with only our driver's license checked at the airports. Departing US is like any other domestic flight - just photo ID. Departing PR is also like any other domestic flight - just photo ID.
Prior to the trip i read through many blogs, official sites to gather as much info as I could. I was worried the same way as many others here so I tried to think back on what possibly could have happened during our trip.....
In my humble opinion, I don't think having actual current visa stamp is relevant since PR is a US territory - at best what could be relevant is if you have your current H1B/H4 papers (I797 notice). I was planning to plead my case this way had they asked for anything but apparently there was no need.
I carried with me both passports and papers just in case but was not asked to show anything except for photo ID just like any other airport within USA. Hope this helps!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirm View Post
My wife (H4) and I (H1B) just got back from PR with only our driver's license checked at the airports. Departing US is like any other domestic flight - just photo ID. Departing PR is also like any other domestic flight - just photo ID.
Prior to the trip i read through many blogs, official sites to gather as much info as I could. I was worried the same way as many others here so I tried to think back on what possibly could have happened during our trip.....
In my humble opinion, I don't think having actual current visa stamp is relevant since PR is a US territory - at best what could be relevant is if you have your current H1B/H4 papers (I797 notice). I was planning to plead my case this way had they asked for anything but apparently there was no need.
I carried with me both passports and papers just in case but was not asked to show anything except for photo ID just like any other airport within USA. Hope this helps!
So there is no immigration clearance at the port of entry?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light Nirm is a glorious beacon of light
Default No immigration clearance

Nope. When you land in PR, its just like any other US airport - from the gate you go straight to baggage claim / ground transportation. When you return to US, its just like any other airport - from the gate you go straight to baggage claim / ground transportation.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier - returning from PR airport, the USDA does an agriculture scan label for your bags but that is just routine for all....not related to immigration at all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.