Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options
Click to log in with Facebook
Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options Discussion related to transferring priority date of old green card file to a new file after 140 approval.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future rockstart has a brilliant future
Default Some people facing issues in Virginia

I have heard that some of my friends in VA faced trouble extending their license's with H1 receipt in absense of approval notice. Its strange I guess such people should meet the manager at the local DMV. In the meanwhile I will try to pull the relevant sections of laws in VA for the same
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/31/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
ARUNRAMANATHAN will become famous soon enough
Default Guys ... you could get a 3 year extension

If you renew your Driver's License using the DMV website (online) you would be given a 3 or 5 year extension based on the state where the license was issued....as along as you have the same address and no criminal record ....

I renewed mine for 5 years ....VA Drivers's license

Hope/Should work for other states too....

You do need a online access with a pin number request the same. You should get the pin no in 10 days.

ArunRamanathan
Green Card = Fight + Hassel + Patients + Labor EB3 Applied in 2001 + RFE from State + RFE From Fed + Rejected in 2003 . ..Applied fresh EB3 in 2004 July + Approved in Nov + Applied 140 & 485 ...But my Attorney did not send on time So Rejected (485) . ..+ 140 RFE + Approved 140 + Now in July 2007 Applied 485 (Hanging IN THERE ) .... This is the easy way to GC land ....

Old 09-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold Libra is a splendid one to behold

I went to local office and they gave me only 2 months based on original h1 app receipt. Can we do that for MN too?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
msandhu is on a distinguished road

DMV will let you renew your license online if your license was issues before DMV started checking and adding the immigration status to your sriving record. If the DMV has added your immigration status in their database then you cannot renew your license online. They will ask for proof of immigration status and expiry date of your immigration status before they renew it. This is what has happened to me in PA .
Cheers
MS

Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice

In california, they need an actual approval notice of H1. I went around to 3 different locations in SoCal and none of them accepted the receipt notice. The receipt notice is good to work and pay taxes but apparently not enough to drive to work. Not sure what CA DMV's logic is behind this? Currently going to work by bus and it takes 1 hr for what would've taken 15 mins.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
mohitb272 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyFiler View Post
In california, they need an actual approval notice of H1. I went around to 3 different locations in SoCal and none of them accepted the receipt notice. The receipt notice is good to work and pay taxes but apparently not enough to drive to work. Not sure what CA DMV's logic is behind this? Currently going to work by bus and it takes 1 hr for what would've taken 15 mins.
I have the same issue. CA DMV has no logic for this. Waiting for EAD to renew this.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of texanmom has much to be proud of
Default Did not realize it was such a big problem!

I am shocked - both at the laws and my ignorance I thought you just go and get your drivers license!!

I don't believe there are any such rules in Texas. All you need is an SSN. I got my last DL in 2001, which was valid for 6 years. I just renewed it online....took me all of 30 seconds...and it is valid for 6 years - my H1B is only valid until 2009, while my DL is valid until 2013!!

I really empathize with all of you guys that either cannot get it or get it for shorter durations. Some of the laws just don't make sense.

-Organize and participate in lawmaker meetings.
-Publicize IV to friends, media and corporates.
-Active member of the local state chapter.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice

CA DMV's logic is really stupid.

The idea, behind this, as per DMV is to deny licence to illegas.
Now, I dont know what in the world makes them think that someone who jumped over the fence or tunneled into the country would walk into a DMV and ask for a DL?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light tnite is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmom View Post
I am shocked - both at the laws and my ignorance I thought you just go and get your drivers license!!

I don't believe there are any such rules in Texas. All you need is an SSN. I got my last DL in 2001, which was valid for 6 years. I just renewed it online....took me all of 30 seconds...and it is valid for 6 years - my H1B is only valid until 2009, while my DL is valid until 2013!!

I really empathize with all of you guys that either cannot get it or get it for shorter durations. Some of the laws just don't make sense.
I think CT has the same as Texas except for one requirement-h1B Approval Notice is required but CT gives out for 5 yrs(men) and 7 yrs(women).
CT allows renewal of licence thru AAA offices.
If anyone from CT has had any issues, please update here
I485 RFE 09/08/2008 I20,MC,OPT EAD Replied 09/19/2008

Join the Tri State Chapter

Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold
Default Colorado is a big mess

colorado not only requires the actual approval notice but also you have to be on some immigration system they have which actually is connected to the USCIS. Even if you have the approval notice you will not get a drivers license if you are not on their "immigration system". Infact once they check the system at the local office and don't find you on the system you automatically have to drive down to some big office in Denver which deals with the "immigration system". Also they have instituted FBI checks at random and if you are moving from some other state it will take them a few weeks to get you through that FBI checking system.

It's a big mess and they say that they are doing it to get illegals out of the system. In fact even for US citizen they will not accept a passport alone as evidence. You also have to provide additional ID or a birth certificate.

It seems that the politicians are jumping over each other to show how strict they are on immigration issue - the public of course can go to hell while their tax money is wasted implementing and enforcing this idiotic system.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Hermione is just really nice Hermione is just really nice Hermione is just really nice Hermione is just really nice

Good news for those who are in NY - the DMV stopped investigating immigration status. They just confirm your identity, make sure you know the rules of the road, and that you do not have outstanding suspensions and revokations.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
fandu is on a distinguished road
Default EAD - Drivers License??

Same law applies in kentucky!

The driver license validity date is the H1-B validity date. They wont accept extension notices.

I have a question. Once the EAD is received what would be the validity of the drivers license? Would it have to be renewed yearly? Please suggest!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
kmk2002 will become famous soon enough
Default CA needs SS# after applying for 485

Last week, My wife did not get the learner's permit from CA DMV as they now needed her SS#. Apparently the DHS has changed her status to something else after applying 485.

She is on H4 and before 485 she did receive learner's permit after getting a waiver/OK from SS office.

we have applied for her SS# now. apparently that is taking a month now.

I got mine at the time of applying itself but that was 7 years ago.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
mohitb272 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk2002 View Post
Last week, My wife did not get the learner's permit from CA DMV as they now needed her SS#. Apparently the DHS has changed her status to something else after applying 485.

She is on H4 and before 485 she did receive learner's permit after getting a waiver/OK from SS office.

we have applied for her SS# now. apparently that is taking a month now.

I got mine at the time of applying itself but that was 7 years ago.
My wife's license is in a similar situation but unlike you (my guess) we haven't got our EAD cards yet, hence cannot apply for SSN. Would CA DMV give a temporary license based on the EAD itself since SSN takes about 3-4 weeks?

PD : NOV 2003, EB3 (current)
I-140: Approved
I-485 RD: July 19, 2007
I-485 FP: Sep 18, 2007
I-485: Approved

Old 09-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lrindy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitb272 View Post
My wife's license is in a similar situation but unlike you (my guess) we haven't got our EAD cards yet, hence cannot apply for SSN. Would CA DMV give a temporary license based on the EAD itself since SSN takes about 3-4 weeks?
You take copies of all receipt notices into BMV or DMV (all of according to where you live) Having gone through this mess in Indiana. Valid Passport, 2 proof of address (bills etc), valid I-94 for H visa. If you have EAD card in hand AND have applied for SS# (you should have been given a special letter from SS office confirming date # was applied for. This gives you ability to work). If they say NO then go a level higher at window. If they get snotty with you take names, on their badge hanging around their neck. Point out that you are here legally and that you want it raised to local HQ (for Indiana it is in Indianapolis). Ask them the question "If this is good enough for me to get legal employment and pay taxes then why is it not valid for a mere DL? Be polite, do not raise your voice. It is surprising how far you can get doing this.

One reason this law came into effect was due to, and this was happening in Indiana a couple of years ago, BMV staff selling DL's to illegals. The ringleaders were based in Chicago. They were getting a few grand for each card produced. So, to cover their butts it is now valid PP, I-94 and as above. If you get passed on to state HQ you can put in complaint. But, regardless, each state has own version of law, even down to each BMV deals with this slightly different to the next one. No matter what, all your paperwork goes to state HQ and in 3 or 4 weeks is returned to you via USPS. They do issue you with paper license whilst you wait.
Without SS# or paperwork EAD is not acceptable. By law they should issue on initial letter from SS office confirming SS# has been applied for. FYI: tHThe more illegals there are in your area; the more critical BMV is of who gets DL. If the staff are not as knowledgeable as you, which is typical, then you can ask to speak to manager. If they do not know then get them to call state HQ. You have the right to ask for this. What I have done in the past is call HQ before going to local branch. Get everything sorted with them. Let them know when you are going, get the persons name and extension number just in case you need back up. You will be surprised how much they will actually help you out with this. If you take correct paperwork into local BMV, with the backing of HQ then you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers,

LRIndy.