Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options
Click to log in with Facebook
Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options Discussion related to transferring priority date of old green card file to a new file after 140 approval.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/27/2010
Compare
the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Success Story - I-485 approved with a withdrawn/revoked I-140

Folks,

I would like to share my success story of getting my I-485 application approved with a revoked/withdrawn I-140. We received our Green Cards and Welcome Letters in the mail yesterday. If you go through my profile, you should be able to get most of the information, but here it is anyway:

1] Company A applied for my LC followed by the I-140 application. We never got a chance to file I-485.
2] After I quite company A, they withdrew my I-140 application.
3] Company B started the process again with my labor application, followed by my new I-140 application. We didn't capture the older PD at this stage, but the A# was the same as the old one.
4] When we sent in our I-485 application, we included a letter describing that we would like to retain the older PD (we sent them a snippet of page 27 of the Field Adjudicator's Manual - Yates memo). In the interest of being transparent, we mentioned that the earlier I-140 was withdrawn by the previous employer. After an unrelated RFE, our case was finally approved last Friday (03/18).

I am sharing this information so that others who are stuck in a similar situation can use this as a datapoint in their struggle against the USCIS. I wish you all the very best in your Green Card journey.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute
Default what is the gap?

gap between your company A exit date and the date they withdrew your I140?
As per law,, they should not do it for 6 months old approved I140 ?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Were you able to get H1b extension with Com b even A withdraw I 140 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Folks,

I would like to share my success story of getting my I-485 application approved with a revoked/withdrawn I-140. We received our Green Cards and Welcome Letters in the mail yesterday. If you go through my profile, you should be able to get most of the information, but here it is anyway:

1] Company A applied for my LC followed by the I-140 application. We never got a chance to file I-485.
3] Company B started the process again with my labor application, followed by my new I-140 application. We didn't capture the older PD at this stage, but the A# was the same as the old one.
4] When we sent in our I-485 application, we included a letter describing that we would like to retain the older PD (we sent them a snippet of page 27 of the Field Adjudicator's Manual - Yates memo). In the interest of being transparent, we mentioned that the earlier I-140 was withdrawn by the previous employer. After an unrelated RFE, our case was finally approved last Friday (03/18).

I am sharing this information so that others who are stuck in a similar situation can use this as a datapoint in their struggle against the USCIS. I wish you all the very best in your Green Card journey.

You said you didn't get a chance to file for I 485 with company A , means you did transfer H1b. Did company A withdraw before you transfered H1b ? Did you do transfer with in initial 6 year of H1b ?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2013
Compare
SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your freedom.

Quote:
Folks,

I140 Receipt Date:Jul 26, '07
I140 Approved Date:Apr 8, '08
2nd I140 Receipt Date:Jul 22, '11
I140 RFE Date:Mar 6, '12
I140 Approved Date:May 23, '12
I-485 Mailed Date:Feb 6, '13 Finally
I-485 Receipt Date:Feb 7, '13
I-485 Notice Date:Feb 12, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Approval:Mar 2, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Combo Card Recd Date:Mar 8, '13 (valid for 1 year)
Finger Print Notice date:Mar 29, '13

Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats the_jaguar and enjoy!
Quote:
Folks,

Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2013
Compare
SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute

Once your I-140 is approved and even if the employer files to revoke the I-140 it will not affect your status. It is at the discretion of the USCIS to revoke the approved I-140. USCIS will revoke the approved I-140 if it detects that it was fraudulently obtained.

Now to answer your question : Even if company A files to revoke I-140 before the individual files for H1 transfer, it does not make a difference to the individual.
(see I-485 filing w/o current PD thread) and momentum to continue with this campaign.The survey is a platform to gather and push for launching action items. Based on response by 04/30/2011 - IV will decide whether to even proceed with initiative or not.
Actions - 1) Vote on survey.
2)Email ivcoordinator@gmail.com with PD, ph#,email & subject "I485 filing impacted”,
3)Print/Circulate Fliers and spread FB, wiki link (see "support thread")

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_on_demand View Post
You said you didn't get a chance to file for I 485 with company A , means you did transfer H1b. Did company A withdraw before you transfered H1b ? Did you do transfer with in initial 6 year of H1b ?
I140 Receipt Date:Jul 26, '07
I140 Approved Date:Apr 8, '08
2nd I140 Receipt Date:Jul 22, '11
I140 RFE Date:Mar 6, '12
I140 Approved Date:May 23, '12
I-485 Mailed Date:Feb 6, '13 Finally
I-485 Receipt Date:Feb 7, '13
I-485 Notice Date:Feb 12, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Approval:Mar 2, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Combo Card Recd Date:Mar 8, '13 (valid for 1 year)
Finger Print Notice date:Mar 29, '13

Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/27/2010
Compare
the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the wishes, folks. I wish you all the very best too. Here are some answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_on_demand View Post
Actually, my first I-140 was approved after I left the company. For some strange reason, Company A didn't withdraw the application immediately, but waited until it got approved - they were probably hoping that I would go back to them, which I might still do. We parted on good terms.
Yes, I did transfer my H-1B and I was within my initial 6 year period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGP View Post
Once your I-140 is approved and even if the employer files to revoke the I-140 it will not affect your status. It is at the discretion of the USCIS to revoke the approved I-140. USCIS will revoke the approved I-140 if it detects that it was fraudulently obtained.

Now to answer your question : Even if company A files to revoke I-140 before the individual files for H1 transfer, it does not make a difference to the individual.
In my case, I know that company A filed to withdraw my I-140 for sure. This will be hard to believe, but it's true: both company A and company B use the same law firm, so my lawyer knew that company A had withdrawn my I-140. Yes, the approval is at USCIS's discretion, but this is a grey area - Yates memo says that the priority date can be retained as long as the application has not been revoked by USCIS due to fraud, but the law seems to be a bit ambiguous (I am not a lawyer though). This ends up making each of these cases unique. I am just happy that I didn't have to go through a lengthy MTR process...

Last edited by the_jaguar; 03-26-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/27/2010
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by injrav View Post
gap between your company A exit date and the date they withdrew your I140?
As per law,, they should not do it for 6 months old approved I140 ?
As I posted earlier, I had left Company A before the I-140 approval, so I don't really know how long they waited before withdrawing the approved I-140.

Are you sure that there is a law regarding the 6 month period? AFAIK, this only applies when you have filed you I-1485. If it's prior to that, AC-21 doesn't apply...

Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
avpal is on a distinguished road

I am in similiar situation like you. I am planning to apply for I140 next month. I have heard that USCIS has stopped porting PD from revoked I 140. Can you please give me your your lawyer's details?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/09/2012
Compare
nsureshn is on a distinguished road
Default Mine too got approved with original priority date

My previous EB3 I-140 was revoked by my previous employer about 6 months back. Applied new PERM and labor thru new employer in EB2. I-140 applied on Sep 29 (premium). Got approval today with old PD

Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
coolkay is on a distinguished road

Could you please provide your lawer's info.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RocketFast has a spectacular aura about RocketFast has a spectacular aura about
Default USCIS law not clear and different law firms/case officers interepret it differently

I feel there is a lot of confusion in this particular scenario
* Employer A applies for your PERM and I-140. I-140 gets approved. I-485 is not filed
* You quit Employer A and join Employer B
* Employer A revokes your I-140 --> This is the main concern
* Employer B files your PERM and applies for I-140

In a few cases that I have tracked, your I-140 with company 'B' gets approved without the earlier priority date. Asking USCIS to correct this gets the following reply: "You can ask for this while filing I-1485". And a lot of denials when you file your I-1485s saying that your priority date is not current. Many guys have managed to get it approved after a lot of MTRs.

It is as if different case officers treat this case differently.

Murthy says the following: The same is references at the IV wiki

"There are some issues with respect to retention of the priority date if the I-140 has been revoked. Generally, however, it is the policy of the USCIS to allow the retention and transfer of the earlier priority date if the I-140 petition has not been revoked by the USCIS for fraud or misrepresentation."

Reference:
ht*p://www.murthy.com/news/ n_eb3to2.html

The dangerous word here is "Generally". Is there no clear USCIS rule on this?

A different law firm makes it very clear that USCIS will reject your priority date retention based on a law:

Refernce:
ht*p://www.peterli.us/Content/AOS/ PriorityDate.htm

Pasting the relevent USCIS law:

USCIS has posted an update to the Adjudicators Field Manual on September 12, 2006

Page 27 states:

"(1) Determining the Priority Date. In general, if a petition is supported by an individual labor certification issued by DOL, the priority date is the earliest date upon which the labor certification application was filed with DOL. In those cases where the alien's priority date is established by the filing of the labor certification, once the alien's Form I-140 petition has been approved, the alien beneficiary retains his or her priority date as established by the filing of the labor certification for any future Form I-140 petitions, unless the previously approved Form I-140 petition has been revoked because of fraud or willful misrepresentation. This includes cases where a change of employer has occurred; however, the new employer must obtain a new labor certification if the classification requested requires a labor certification (see the section on successor in interest)."

8 CFR 204.5(e) states:

"A petition approved on behalf of an alien under sections 203(b)(1), (2), or (3) of the Act accords the alien the priority date of the approved petition for any subsequently filed petition for any classification under sections 203(b)(1), (2), or (3) of the Act for which the alien may qualify. In the event that the alien is the beneficiary of multiple petitions under sections 203(b)(1), (2), or (3) of the Act, the alien shall be entitled to the earliest priority date. A petition revoked under sections 204(e) or 205 of the Act will not confer a priority date, nor will any priority date be established as a result of a denied petition. A priority date is not transferable to another alien." (Emphasis added).

This regulation says a priority date will not be retained for a petition revoked under section 205 of the Act. Section 205 of the Act states:

“The Secretary of Homeland Security may, at any time, for what he deems to be good and sufficient cause, revoke the approval of any petition approved by him under section 204. Such revocation shall be effective as of the date of approval of any such petition.”

This encompasses revocation for any reason, not just for fraud or willful misrepresentation. The regulations interpreting INA 205 further state, at 8 CFR 205.1(a)(iii)(C) that an I-140 petition shall be automatically revoked “Upon written notice of withdrawal filed by the petitioner, in employment-based preference cases, with any officer of the Service who is authorized to grant or deny petitions.”

Thus, under the law and regulations, when an employment-based I-140 petitioner withdraws an I-140 petition because the beneficiary no longer works for him or her, USCIS automatically revokes the petition which triggers 8 CFR 204.5(e), stating that the revoked petition does not confer a priority date.

This is scary and frustrating.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congrats and nice to know

I seldom vist this forum now and reading this post quite late. However it is nice to know that people have completed GC journey with revoked or withdrawn I-140 and I know more cases whose GC was immediately approved along with the approvals of MTRs. Congrants to jaguar and others.
I am also in the same boat, but with my EB3-I category my journey is still going on............ and on.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts dmitri is infamous around these parts

hello everyone
just FYI
USCIS has changed this rule.
PD is no longer portable if old employer revokes(withdraws old i 140).its the same thing.
when employer withdraws the I 140,it is considered as revoked and therefore USCIS closes that file as being a Fraudulently approved I 140 so it all means same.
the law was always like that - its just that USCIS was linent so far but since last 3 years
so many people have done this that they finally got rid of portability altogether.
just like the labor substitution was done away with in 2008...

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prasad_2007 is infamous around these parts
Smile Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
hello everyone
just FYI
USCIS has changed this rule.
PD is no longer portable if old employer revokes(withdraws old i 140).its the same thing.
when employer withdraws the I 140,it is considered as revoked and therefore USCIS closes that file as being a Fraudulently approved I 140 so it all means same.
the law was always like that - its just that USCIS was linent so far but since last 3 years
so many people have done this that they finally got rid of portability altogether.
just like the labor substitution was done away with in 2008...
More number of I140's is a liability to company. That's the reason why a SMALL(financially) employer chose to revoke I140. There are people who just revoke because of bad parting between employe/employee's.

Employer who revokes i140 and states reason as fraud also has to prove reason and evidence of fraud.

Why will USCIS have no other reason than "fraudulently approved" for all revoked I140's

Cheer up guys. Have happy porting...
I am not lawyer but read the law.. Porting clause seems to be less than Java String api..