Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options
Click to log in with Facebook
Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options Discussion related to transferring priority date of old green card file to a new file after 140 approval.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
majmera is on a distinguished road
Default Return to India and I140 questions

Hi all,
I currently work with a large MNC, my GC was applied for several years ago (2003, under EB3). My I 140 has been approved for over a year now.

At this point I am planning to return to India (that was always the goal). My questions are
- If after a year or so if I chose to return back, can I retain my priority date for a new GC application?
- Is there any advantage if I continue with the same employer although there will probably be an internal transfer to being an India employee and back to US employee if I do return back?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
richasamuel@yahoo.com is infamous around these parts richasamuel@yahoo.com is infamous around these parts

Yes your I 140 will still be valid,its better to continue with your current employer if he's able to move you to India & back to US if so whenever you desire.Note : Your priority date is 2003 Plz specify which month and you have waited for a long time now you are too close to your GC I am sure within next 12-18 months You are sure to get GC.It Would be sensible to leave US once you get GC but still if you cant wait any longer use your current employer to move back to India.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
majmera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richasamuel@yahoo.com View Post
Yes your I 140 will still be valid,its better to continue with your current employer if he's able to move you to India & back to US if so whenever you desire.Note : Your priority date is 2003 Plz specify which month and you have waited for a long time now you are too close to your GC I am sure within next 12-18 months You are sure to get GC.It Would be sensible to leave US once you get GC but still if you cant wait any longer use your current employer to move back to India.
Thank you for the response. My priority date is Nov 2003. After considering everything (kids age, parent's health and career etc), we feel this is the right time to move back. Hopefully, it work out and we won't have to worry about dealing with the issue at all.

Thank you to everyone who replied!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute

this year Obama (if he has his way) is going to give green card to millions of illegals. You are legal, but will definitely benefit from this windfall. You seem particularly unlucky in your green card quest because you applied for it in 2003 but did not get I-140 approved till last year. So it seems you could not avail yourself of EAD. Don't worry, the tide is turning. If you can hang in there 1 more year, please do. But then again, if you get green card, you may never go back to India..which was your dream in the first case. So not getting pr might be a blessing in disguise.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by majmera View Post
- Is there any advantage if I continue with the same employer although there will probably be an internal transfer to being an India employee and back to US employee if I do return back?
Obviously, this will make it easier to get back to the USA. This option is also advantageous in case the move happens at least a year after getting the green card, since the right paperwork will enable filing for citizenship even in this case.