Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Is Moira Herbst the new Lou Dobbs?

Note : The article linked here contains provocative racist language against Indians and Indian-Americans. Though, it may be infuriating to some members, they are requested to behave in a civilized manner. We have to take the high-road and prove ourselves better than the anti-immigrants. We have every right to oppose this misrepresentation and abusive language, and - we will - in a Gandhian way of Truth, Non-violence and Civility.

Dear IVians,

We have sadly been noticing the media providing a disproportionate coverage to anti-immigrants of all hues. Latest in this trend is the series of articles on BusinessWeek unfairly targeting foreign workers especially Asians in general, and Indians in particular.

It is really disgusting to see a reputed business magazine like Business Week, and Ms. Moira Herbst, resort to cheap gimmicks to increase the page hits by targeting a minority community for no apparent reason. (What does an article on Prof. Matloff attempts on reducing immigration based on environment, wage loss etc. has to do with Indians, unless it’s covert motive is to stop immigration based on National origins?)

The disproportionate coverage provided by BusinessWeek can be seen by running a simple search on BusinessWeek with the key word “Moira”..-

BusinessWeek Search Results

More than 60-70% of her articles are a mouth piece to anti-immigrants opposing highly-skilled immigration. In most of her articles she deliberately doesn’t cover the perspective of Employment-based immigration and immigrant organizations such as Immigration Voice. Due to this unbalanced and one-sided coverage of immigration the hatred and threats of physical violence against the immigrants has increased.

While there are plenty of articles blaming foreign workers, Asians and Indians; there is hardly any that provides perspectives from the other side. Lop-sided coverage of high-skilled immigration has the potential of misleading Americans into considering foreign workers as 'cheap labor' and 'slave labor', both highly-offensive terms to the law-abiding, tax paying highly-skilled immigrants, many of whom have Masters degree in science and technology from some of the top schools in the US.

If you are still in doubt regarding the biased coverage and racist overtone, this racist cartoon in one of her reports is a real eye-opener.

It's True: There's Fraud in the H1-B Visa Program - BusinessWeek

The above link, links to an article with an inflammatory cartoon on an unscrupulous-employer smuggling Indians in a hand-bag. There was an equally derogatory cartoon of Indians coding sitting on short stools in one of her articles, which was removed after a large number of Immigration Voice members complained.

It's alarming to see a responsible media organization like BusinessWeek becoming a platform to launch attacks on the employment-based immigrants. For instance the latest article promoting Norm Matloff , an anti-immigrant computer science professor, a member of NumbersUSA an organization vehemently oppsed to legalization of undocumented workers.

An Academic's Labor Helps Fight H-1B Visas - BusinessWeek

The article has passed the limits of decency by including the pejorative "Slumdog" - a racist term equivalent of the "N-word" - used to belittle Indians. It also linked previously to a hardly-read racist blog containing indecent expletives used against the Indian community; a blog that no responsible media organization would provide links to.

While the article goes to great lengths to prove Mr. Matloff to be a non-racist, the argument falls flat on it's face if we take, but, a cursory look at his "featured admirers" such as "Kevin" who who calls Indians as “Sumdogs”. While "Kevin" leaves no doubt in the minds of his readers with his blatantly racist language, the other featured guest - John Miano of Programmers Guild - is equally guilty of unfairly targeting Indians and Indian immigrants.

It's alarming to see such extremists getting promoted as 'Immigration Experts' and contributors by the respected newspapers as the voice of American workers (which they are, thankfully, not). Any kook who hates foreign workers does not automatically become an expert in such an intricate subject as highly-skilled immigration and it's correlation to American competitiveness. It's a subject matter better left to real subject experts.

The above article had previously linked to a racist website containing YouTube video of an Indian burning, and direct threats of physical violence and murder directed at the Indian community. After I expressed by objections to Ms. Herbst, the link was removed. This was done with expressing apology and while retaining the racist reference to Indian-Americans. The link was removed, not because it threatened Indian-Americans with murder, but because of other considerations (which I don’t want to discuss here)

I request all readers, Asians or non-Asians, Americans and immigrants to raise their voices oppose this baseless vilification and demonization of a employment-based immigrants. There is no place for racist terms such as "Slumdogs" in the main-stream political discourse. Racist rhetoric cannot be condoned in any form targeted at any community.

Please express your displeasure against this article by E-mailing your thoughts - in a civilized way - to reporter Ms. Moira Herbst, with CC to her bosses. ( I have posted a template below for your convenience.). Let us request Business Week to provide a balanced coverage to it's readers by providing equal space to Immigration Voice an organization that represents the interests of nearly half-a-million future Americans, a number unsurpassed even if we club all the anti-immigration groups together.

Please edit the template to represent your personal thoughts. I request you to avoid using expletives and uncivil language, while strongly expressing your displeasure.

Moira Herbst - moira_herbst <Moira_Herbst@businessweek.com>
Her bosses - John_Byrne@businessweek.com, Peter_Elstrom@businessweek.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ms. Moira Herbst,

I am deeply disappointed by the usage of the racist epithet - "Slumdogs" - used against the Indians and Indian-Americans in a respectable publication like yours.

An Academic's Labor Helps Fight H-1B Visas - BusinessWeek

This term is as offensive to the people of Indian-origin as the dreaded "N" word is to the African-Americans.There is no place for such racist terms in the main-stream political discourse. Racist rhetoric cannot be condoned in any form targeted at any community. We are alarmed at trend of your publication becoming a promoter of ant-immigrant rhetoric due to the mostly one-sided coverage of employment immigration.

If Business Week can give voice to racist blogs that calls Indian-Americans as “Slumdogs”, I feel no reason why your publication should not provide coverage to the voice of half-a-million future Americans represented by Immigration Voice.

In the interest of fairness and to keep the political discourse balanced, I urge you to provide a forum for the employment-based community to explain their perspective and how they feel about terms "cheap slave labor" used very loosely against them. I request you to allow Immigration Voice to publish a rebuttal of these unfounded allegations in an Op-Ed so that your readers, both immigrant and American, are given a chance to understand the issue from the perspective of employment-based immigrants.

Business Week must stop supporting extremist blogs which use the most uncivilized language against foreigners and respected public representatives. These kooks do not represent an average American worker who does not hate his/her Asian colleagues as these extremists would like you to believe.

As this country celebrates it's Independence, I urge you to remove the racist term "Slumdogs" which is antithetical to the idea of "All men are created equal..." in the Declaration of Independence, on which America was founded.

I urge you not to cave in to the vitriol-filled rhetoric by the trolls who inundate your forums with their hate-filled views against foreigners. If you continue to allow the promotion of extreme views, it will create a very negative public image of publication, not suitable for families. I request you to exercise moderation rights, and excise all the racist comments directed against Indians and Americans from your articles.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Raven is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up done

Dear WalkingDude,
Thanks for bringing this to our notice. But last week from here in MI we sent tons of emails to Moira, her boss and her boss' boss. We spoke our mind - decently ofcourse- politely - Gandhiji sytle!. Lets us know if you would like us to take any other action on this.. we are ready and geared up!

Last edited by Raven; 07-04-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Raven,

Thanks for participating. The misrepresentation of EB immigrants as 'stealing jobs' is the root cause of hardships our community is facing such as massive rejection of H1Bs without assigning reasons and now the move to deport immigrants who have followed the law and used their Work Authorizations to work.

If we do not raise our voices, we are toast. Thanks again for participation. I hope this inspires the rest of the community to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Dear WalkingDude,
Thanks for bringing this to our notice. But last we here in MI sent tons of emails to Moira, her boss and her boss. We spoke our mind - decently ofcourse!. Lets us know if you would like us to take any other action on this.. we are ready and geared up!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mannubhai has a spectacular aura about mannubhai has a spectacular aura about
Default Appreciate your initiative - I have sent an email

Walking Dude,

Appreciate your initiative as well as the refined language in your post.

I have sent an email to Moira on Friday and i request all members of IV to send an email as well as inform their friends about this.

Regards

Old 07-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
SanjayP is infamous around these parts SanjayP is infamous around these parts SanjayP is infamous around these parts

itgrunt home has been shut down, keep up our efforts!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayP View Post
itgrunt home has been shut down, keep up our efforts!
Good one. Any idea why it was shut down ?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice

Apart from copying her boss and super bosses we also need to copy big ad givers for that magazine.

Her articles are heavily tilted towards anti-immigrants, specially targeting the tech community, without even thinking a second about the implications on economy, technical future of this country and the american dominance in global tech industry.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute ilikekilo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post
Good one. Any idea why it was shut down ?
the domain host pulled the plug..dont worry, he will be back!!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

I already miss him. In nature, we all need air resistance to fly.

Don't waste your time on that herbst guy. It seems he is trying to make business week popular by beating down on us, just like dobbs. If I were you, I'll not visit business week website, and I'll not click on the link to the site, I don't read their articles, don't talk/discuss about what they have to say, simply ignore them. In this bad economy business week seems to be struggling to survive so they r trying to generate internet traffic to get ads revenue by publishing racist articles. If it were me, I'd not visit their site and I'll not participate in any discussion on their website. herbst can talk to himself and his anti-immigrant cronies. It will be biased one sided opinion. Any one sided opinion has no value. Let them die their own death, lets not give them any attention, which keeps them alive. I don't know what's in the article and I'll not click on the link you provided. I have banned Business week on the list of sites I visit, so I don't go to their website anymore. You have the power do the same.

Last edited by ronhira; 07-04-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

It's actually HER, not him :-). What makes it ironic is, unlike Dobbs, she's an (Irish) immigrant. If it was a generation (or two back), she would have seen 'Irish need not apply' signs (like Indians see on Dice these days). She would have been called a 'guinea' by the anglo nativists, like Indians are called "Slumdogs" by nativists now. Also, the site she referenced had called her a 'shill', which adds to the rich irony of the story.

You are entitled to your decision not to visit them.Our worry is not about Ms. Herbst or the trolls she's entertaining with her stories. I am worried about the gullible public getting mislead by this lop-sided coverage. They deserve a chance to be informed about all perspective, including the perspective of employment-based immigrants. What's happening now is they reach a verdict without hearing from all the sides as Ms. Herbst has stopped covering the point of view of EB immigrants.

This needs to be corrected. Like I mentioned before, a major reason for the increasingly hostile environment is the bad image of EB immigration created by reporters like Ms. Herbst, which has negatively influenced the general public, but also the government/administration. We can ignore this deadly disease at our own peril. Ignoring the fatal disease will not cure it. It'll only make the matters worse.

Though I differ from your view, I respect whatever individual decision you will reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post
I already miss him. In nature, we all need air resistance to fly.

Don't waste your time on that herbst guy. It seems he is trying to make business week popular by beating down on us, just like dobbs. If I were you, I'll not visit business week website, and I'll not click on the link to the site, I don't read their articles, don't talk/discuss about what they have to say, simply ignore them. In this bad economy business week seems to be struggling to survive so they r trying to generate internet traffic to get ads revenue by publishing racist articles. If it were me, I'd not visit their site and I'll not participate in any discussion on their website. herbst can talk to himself and his anti-immigrant cronies. It will be biased one sided opinion. Any one sided opinion has no value. Let them die their own death, lets not give them any attention, which keeps them alive. I don't know what's in the article and I'll not click on the link you provided. I have banned Business week on the list of sites I visit, so I don't go to their website anymore. You have the power do the same.

Last edited by walking_dude; 07-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

That website isn't the problem. Real problem is negative-only coverage by the media about EB immigrants. And treating folks like "Kevin" and John Miano as "immigration experts", which they are not. If they are experts in immigration, then Ted Bundy must be considered an expert in anthropology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekilo View Post
the domain host pulled the plug..dont worry, he will be back!!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Probably this is what happened to itgrunt.com

TN: I got into a little pissing contest with my domain host after they got some complaints from the slumdog community.

Communication from his ISP:
Perhaps not surprisingly, we have received a complaint about your site, itgrunt.com.

Let me start this by saying that we do indeed support free speech, and we do not take action against against "opinionated" sites without due consideration.

But Kevin, when you talk about, "polish[ing] up the USMC-issue Beretta...and aim[ing] for the red dots" you cross the line of free speech and land solidly and unmistakably in the hate speech camp. If I worked at the university you mentioned I would be on the phone to the FBI. Right now. And if you think they would brush off what you wrote as unworthy of investigation, you are mistaken. Trust me, I deal with federal agents as part of my job quite regularly, and they tend to get very wound up over much less.

Please explain this as well; "...corrupt Desi sys-admin at his ISP..." It nags me from under every post on your site. You are preemptively insulting members of our staff who you imagine to be Indian. That's kind of a dumb move, my friend. You dug that hole for yourself, and now you're stuck in it.

We all work in an industry that is being affected by the issues you complain about. Complaining is one thing, lobbying for change is one thing, but threatening or implying the use of violence as often as you do on your site is quite another. You can couch it in clever terms or hide behind your "disclaimer" but it is what it is. We are not children here, so let's speak as men, shall we?

You don't leave us much choice in this matter. I don't want to disable a site that confronts the issues you deal with, I believe they are important. But we cannot be party to continued threats, real or implied.

So you tell me what you intend to do. If you are determined to continue on the same path you've taken, we are not going to be able to host the site. I for one, am not willing to sit next to you in the courtroom if/when this shit hits the fan. But if we continue to support your site after being made aware of its contents, that's precisely the position we'll be in, and we're going to do all we can to avoid that.

TN: So I'm in the middle of transferring my domain to, ironically, an offshore hosting company in Panama.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default phew..maan

Its difficult for everyone to be on our side..if our struggle.

I have sent the mail....Ignorant have to be enlightened.

Now...talking abt the article being racist.. I beg to differ...

The use of word "Slumdog" should hardly be cause of insult for us desis.. didnt we all go gaga when AR Rehman won oscar for his Slumdog Song.. didnt we all sing jai ho ..and feel good..

When we didnt oppose the movie for its "racist" title.. how can you stop someone from calling us Slumdogs..

I didnt find the article racist.. but i definitely dont agree with her....

I attended the call and i emailed my objection.

It was a good grass root effort.. we must continue our fight..

these tough times will only get uglier.. we must not lose our civility ...

Old 07-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/06/2006
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute santb1975 has a reputation beyond repute
Default email sent

I already sent an email about this and this has been posted as an action item for the Southern Cal. State Chapter

Old 07-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Its not him, its her!!!!!!!!! How lovely, nowadays, where do we find such irish charm that is racist and pretend to be kind, both at the same time. I wonder what her bosses have to say about her beautifully tailored racist work. Either way, I don't give a damn, because based on what you just said, I have decided to change my decision, my friend. As I make that choice, I can see you repeat these words of George Washington, later repeated by John Adams -

"Is Anybody There, Does Anybody Care, Does Anybody See What I See?"
George Washington - July, 1776

I now see what you see. Racist ideas weaken the society even when wrapped in a "glamorous" magazine called business week. Personally, I grade media outlets, specially the once like business week, as money making machine, business venture, instead of a fair house of journalism. Every word is dishonest and the purpose is to be a mouth piece of some other large business or a mouth piece of the majority, even at the cost of being racist. Expect no more from them, but do not relinquish the need & desire to oppose this racist and barbaric outlook towards the surroundings. I get it. Thanks!

Will do my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post
It's actually HER, not him :-). What makes it ironic is, unlike Dobbs, she's an (Irish) immigrant. If it was a generation (or two back), she would have seen 'Irish need not apply' signs (like Indians see on Dice these days). She would have been called a 'guinea' by the anglo nativists, like Indians are called "Slumdogs" by nativists now. Also, the site she referenced had called her a 'shill', which adds to the rich irony of the story.

You are entitled to your decision not to visit them.Our worry is not about Ms. Herbst or the trolls she's entertaining with her stories. I am worried about the gullible public getting mislead by this lop-sided coverage. They deserve a chance to be informed about all perspective, including the perspective of employment-based immigrants. What's happening now is they reach a verdict without hearing from all the sides as Ms. Herbst has stopped covering the point of view of EB immigrants.

This needs to be corrected. Like I mentioned before, a major reason for the increasingly hostile environment is the bad image of EB immigration created by reporters like Ms. Herbst, which has negatively influenced the general public, but also the government/administration. We can ignore this deadly disease at our own peril. Ignoring the fatal disease will not cure it. It'll only make the matters worse.

Though I differ from your view, I respect whatever individual decision you will reach.

Last edited by ronhira; 07-05-2009 at 03:07 AM.